Prospect Info: Jesper Lindgren

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey Pens fans. Leafs fans here.
During the stoppage, I did a top 20 Leafs prospects report, so with Lindgren now your property, here is the piece on Lindgren. I had him 11th on the top 20.

11. RHD Jesper Lindgren
Overview

Speaking of the Lindgren, he is next in my rankings at 11. Anyone who has seen my posts over the year knows I have been hyping him up. He is one of my favorite prospects and maybe even my favorite as strange as that sounds. He was drafted in the 4th round in 2015. People had him as a sleeper in the draft. In the 16/17 season, he played in the Allsvenskan league which is the tier 1 league of the SHL so a step below, and Lindgren posted 24 points in 51 games, and it was clear he needed a bigger challenge. He signed a 2 year deal with HPK of the Finnish league, and he played a defensive role on a team that underachieved finishing with 8 points in 43 games. Leafs however signed him to an ELC which indicated Leafs were happy with Lindgren's progression. Here is what Lindgren in regard to the season. “I want to be a complete hockey player who can play defence and offence. I think what I need to improve most is to get stronger and be a little faster so that I can win battles in the corner,” he said.
“I got a big role defensively, I played a lot of penalty killing and that helped me a lot, but I played powerplay too, just a little bit less than usual. It’s no excuse though. I could have done more. I need to shoot more if I want more points. The plan is to go back to Finland for one more year to get a big role like I had last year and play probably even more. The only thing with hockey is you need to play to develop. I will get to play a lot there. It’s business. It’s a little bit smaller in Finland compared to Sweden and that helps a lot too but it’s even smaller here and takes a while. I just need to get used to it.” (taken from Scott Wheeler’s Athletic article).
He made no excuses in regards to his production despite being in a defensive role. The next season his production took off. He posted 19 points in 45 games. He more then doubled his production while playing only 2 more games. He also played a few playoff games for the Marlies, looking really solid after struggling the year before in limited games. This season he went to the Marlies and on many nights was one of the better defenceman for the Marlies, and Keefe seemed to share the opinion, as after Lindgren was in the rotation at the start of the season, he was removed from the rotation and became a regular on defence. Lindgren put up 9 points in 31 games with no PP time. If Lindgren can just continue this progression and get a deserving bigger role, the NHL should be in his future.

Stats
2017/2018
GP: 43
Goals: 2
Assists: 6
Rating: -4
TOI: 20:14

2018/2019
GP: 45
Assists: 17
Rating: -2
TOI: 18:56

Advanced Stats

2017/2018
Corsi%: 45.5
Corsi Close%: 44.6

2018/2019
Corsi%: 59.4
Corsi Close%: 59.0

Defenceman 22 years and younger, he was 5th in PPG.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in COR%.
Among all players that have played at least 20 games, he was 9th in COR%.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in Corsi Close.

Statistical Analysis
Usually I don't put a separate heading for advanced numbers, but I think here I have to as it really tells the story. After struggling posession wise as the entire team was as a whole, HPK had a corsi% of 47.4. Lindgren was amazing the next season where he was one of the better players at driving play. He also produced well in terms of his age group. When Lindgren was put more into a 2 way role and not just a strict defensive role, he produced at a nice clip. This season with the Marlies he has 9 points in 31 games, but all those points are at even strength, so the numbers are actually fine, especially when you consider the 3rd pair ice time and no PP time.

Talent Analysis

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good

5-great

Player grades:
Present/Future
Skating: 4.5/4.5
Shot: 2/2.5
Puck Skills: 3.5/3.5
Defence: 4/4
Compete: 3.5/3.5
IQ/Smarts: 4/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of Lindgren’s strengths is his skating. He moves around the ice very well with and without the puck. All the elements part of skating, Lindgren has them. Whether its top speed, back skating, side to side movement, there aren’t any weaknesses. It's a very effortless motion. It's a pleasure to watch him skate.

Lindgren's passing is top notch, and is a great puck mover as a result of his puck carrying. He can quarterback a PP, as his ability to make plays can be a big factor there. His passing in the defensive zone to the offensive zone always stands out. He puts them right on the tape his teammates. He also moves the puck extremely well, and can hold on to it for a long while escaping pressure and finding an outlet. I don't have him as a 4 because I don't see a wow factor, but he produces because of his solid playmaking. His shot is below average. It doesn’t have a lot of power, and isn’t really a threat. Its not a concern though, as Lindgren’s game is about creativity and passing. I felt he can be more aggressive sometimes with his offense.

Going back to the last point, the lack of attacking might show how he has shifted from an offensive defenceman to a 2 way defenceman. Lindgren isn’t going to lay a big hit in the corner to get the puck, but his commitment will still be there, and he will cut off players on the cycle despite not being strong. This was what really impressed me with the Marlies. His one on one defending was really good which really surprised me, and he played a solid gap in transition. It's not a surprise Keefe gave him PK time. He made his biggest gains over the years defensively, to the point where I classify him in the good category.
He works hard and does what you want a player too. He does deserve to a 3.5 for what he has done to improve defensively.
Really smart player. He does the right things when he has the puck, and doesn't panic with the puck. He makes the correct passes in all 3 zones. He is extremely calm on the ice. In the defensive zone, he cuts the players off when needed, and doesn't go chasing.
Side information everyone, ignore any typos or grammar issues, I am just getting started.

My future projection: he is a great skating puckmover who is reliable all over the ice. I think he becomes a piece for the Leafs if this progression continues.
NHL Player? Yes

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
thanks for the in-depth breakdown. i think the Leafs are replacing him with a forward who has a higher ceiling in Hallander.

i'm still really miffed about this trade.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Some quotes from Lindgren from swedish media, translated by me so sorry for the rough translation.

"I've only heard positive things about Pittsburgh and I think it's good for me to join them. I wouldn't say that I need a restart, but it feels interesting to come somewhere new and start fresh."

He talked with JR. "They said that it's good that I'm here now (Modo in Swedish Second Division) and continue to grow (potential wise, not physically). The plan is for me to come over to camp in November, and then we'll see what heppens".

"Hornqvist sent me a text yesterday, that was fun. He welcomed me and said to just ask if there's anything I'm wondering about. He's been there a couple of years now and is a veteran."

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hey Pens fans. Leafs fans here.
During the stoppage, I did a top 20 Leafs prospects report, so with Lindgren now your property, here is the piece on Lindgren. I had him 11th on the top 20.

11. RHD Jesper Lindgren
Overview

Speaking of the Lindgren, he is next in my rankings at 11. Anyone who has seen my posts over the year knows I have been hyping him up. He is one of my favorite prospects and maybe even my favorite as strange as that sounds. He was drafted in the 4th round in 2015. People had him as a sleeper in the draft. In the 16/17 season, he played in the Allsvenskan league which is the tier 1 league of the SHL so a step below, and Lindgren posted 24 points in 51 games, and it was clear he needed a bigger challenge. He signed a 2 year deal with HPK of the Finnish league, and he played a defensive role on a team that underachieved finishing with 8 points in 43 games. Leafs however signed him to an ELC which indicated Leafs were happy with Lindgren's progression. Here is what Lindgren in regard to the season. “I want to be a complete hockey player who can play defence and offence. I think what I need to improve most is to get stronger and be a little faster so that I can win battles in the corner,” he said.
“I got a big role defensively, I played a lot of penalty killing and that helped me a lot, but I played powerplay too, just a little bit less than usual. It’s no excuse though. I could have done more. I need to shoot more if I want more points. The plan is to go back to Finland for one more year to get a big role like I had last year and play probably even more. The only thing with hockey is you need to play to develop. I will get to play a lot there. It’s business. It’s a little bit smaller in Finland compared to Sweden and that helps a lot too but it’s even smaller here and takes a while. I just need to get used to it.” (taken from Scott Wheeler’s Athletic article).
He made no excuses in regards to his production despite being in a defensive role. The next season his production took off. He posted 19 points in 45 games. He more then doubled his production while playing only 2 more games. He also played a few playoff games for the Marlies, looking really solid after struggling the year before in limited games. This season he went to the Marlies and on many nights was one of the better defenceman for the Marlies, and Keefe seemed to share the opinion, as after Lindgren was in the rotation at the start of the season, he was removed from the rotation and became a regular on defence. Lindgren put up 9 points in 31 games with no PP time. If Lindgren can just continue this progression and get a deserving bigger role, the NHL should be in his future.

Stats
2017/2018
GP: 43
Assists: 6
Rating: -4
TOI: 20:14

2018/2019
GP: 45
Assists: 17
Rating: -2
TOI: 18:56

Advanced Stats

2017/2018
Corsi%: 45.5
Corsi Close%: 44.6

2018/2019
Corsi%: 59.4
Corsi Close%: 59.0

Defenceman 22 years and younger, he was 5th in PPG.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in COR%.
Among all players that have played at least 20 games, he was 9th in COR%.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in Corsi Close.

Statistical Analysis
Usually I don't put a separate heading for advanced numbers, but I think here I have to as it really tells the story. After struggling posession wise as the entire team was as a whole, HPK had a corsi% of 47.4. Lindgren was amazing the next season where he was one of the better players at driving play. He also produced well in terms of his age group. When Lindgren was put more into a 2 way role and not just a strict defensive role, he produced at a nice clip. This season with the Marlies he has 9 points in 31 games, but all those points are at even strength, so the numbers are actually fine, especially when you consider the 3rd pair ice time and no PP time.

Talent Analysis

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good

5-great

Player grades:
Present/Future
Skating: 4.5/4.5
Shot: 2/2.5
Puck Skills: 3.5/3.5
Defence: 4/4
Compete: 3.5/3.5
IQ/Smarts: 4/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of Lindgren’s strengths is his skating. He moves around the ice very well with and without the puck. All the elements part of skating, Lindgren has them. Whether its top speed, back skating, side to side movement, there aren’t any weaknesses. It's a very effortless motion. It's a pleasure to watch him skate.

Lindgren's passing is top notch, and is a great puck mover as a result of his puck carrying. He can quarterback a PP, as his ability to make plays can be a big factor there. His passing in the defensive zone to the offensive zone always stands out. He puts them right on the tape his teammates. He also moves the puck extremely well, and can hold on to it for a long while escaping pressure and finding an outlet. I don't have him as a 4 because I don't see a wow factor, but he produces because of his solid playmaking. His shot is below average. It doesn’t have a lot of power, and isn’t really a threat. Its not a concern though, as Lindgren’s game is about creativity and passing. I felt he can be more aggressive sometimes with his offense.

Going back to the last point, the lack of attacking might show how he has shifted from an offensive defenceman to a 2 way defenceman. Lindgren isn’t going to lay a big hit in the corner to get the puck, but his commitment will still be there, and he will cut off players on the cycle despite not being strong. This was what really impressed me with the Marlies. His one on one defending was really good which really surprised me, and he played a solid gap in transition. It's not a surprise Keefe gave him PK time. He made his biggest gains over the years defensively, to the point where I classify him in the good category.
He works hard and does what you want a player too. He does deserve to a 3.5 for what he has done to improve defensively.
Really smart player. He does the right things when he has the puck, and doesn't panic with the puck. He makes the correct passes in all 3 zones. He is extremely calm on the ice. In the defensive zone, he cuts the players off when needed, and doesn't go chasing.
Side information everyone, ignore any typos or grammar issues, I am just getting started.

My future projection: he is a great skating puckmover who is reliable all over the ice. I think he becomes a piece for the Leafs if this progression continues.
NHL Player? Yes

Thanks for the information. I really enjoyed the read.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Yes, but Näslund didn't really break through until he came to Vancouver, and Hans Jonsson was 6th D for a few season.

Really breaking through for Lindgren would be top 4 D and getting regular time on 2nd PP.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
thanks for the in-depth breakdown. i think the Leafs are replacing him with a forward who has a higher ceiling in Hallander.

i'm still really miffed about this trade.

Thanks for the post man, good stuff.

Thanks for the information. I really enjoyed the read.
Thanks guys. Just thought you guys might appreciate more info.
After obviously Sandin and Liljegren, I felt Lindgren was the 3rd best defenseman for the Marlies this season. His point totals were fine for someone who got no PP time. I think realistically your looking at a 3rd pair d man who can give you spot duty on PK and PP. As I mentioned, his defensive took big strides since being drafted. He was one of my favorite prospects so sad to see him go, but obviously love the deal from the Leafs end:laugh: He was never beating out Liljegren and other prospects were ahead of him, so he was caught in between.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sticky's reports are great.

As someone who watches the Marlies regularly, he could have challenged for a top 4 role next year in the AHL. The issue is that Liljegren is going to prevent him from getting a chance with the Leafs.

He is waiver exempt for another year and if he develops well enough, I do not think it is unreasonable for him to challenge for a bottom pairing role in 2021-2022. Not terrible for a throw-in.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, but Näslund didn't really break through until he came to Vancouver, and Hans Jonsson was 6th D for a few season.

Really breaking through for Lindgren would be top 4 D and getting regular time on 2nd PP.
Naslund was putting up 50-60pts in a top 9 role on the Pens that were beyond stacked. He would have put up similar numbers had he shown that talent even sooner.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Naslund was putting up 50-60pts in a top 9 role on the Pens that were beyond stacked. He would have put up similar numbers had he shown that talent even sooner.

Yes, but if you consider his talent that was not really a breakthrough. He has said on multiple occasions that he was considering going back to Sweden after he finished the last Pens contract. (Personally I also think this partly had to do with previous view Swedes had on what was considered a good enough NHL career. Basically it was: either you become a star or it is not really worth it.)

I don't blame the Pens for this obviously, it's mostly a matter of coincidence and timing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Isn’t he going back to Sweden next year?

What are we even calling next year now?

He’s in Sweden now and can come back for training camp. From there it’s staying in NA or going back to Sweden. I don’t think he’s anything but with how up in the air everything is, it’s a good position for a prospect to be in.

Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->