Jesper Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I love Fast's hustle and his instincts and hockey IQ, I just wonder if he has the offense to be a top 6 player.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think he deserves MVP at forward position for this series. He was the most consistent forward on both ends of the ice and helped create two of the most important goals of the series.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He's literally the anti-MSL of winning board battles. He just does it all well: positioning his hips to shield the puck, strong with his stick along the boards, and he's ****ing brilliant in the neutral zone. I love how this kid has stepped up big time this series.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think he deserves MVP at forward position for this series. He was the most consistent forward on both ends of the ice and helped create two of the most important goals of the series.

I can't disagree with this. Some guys scored bigger goals but no other forward was as consistently good as Fast was. I loved him as a player almost immediately and man has he improved by leaps and bounds. He really is an impressive player.

He is the single biggest reason this team kept winning with Zucc's injury. If it wasn't for Fast that injury would have killed 2 lines.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
A while back after Zucc got hurt I said that Fast was looking good but had a huge opportunity to prove himself to this organization. He's taken the opportunity and I think he's exceeded everyones expectations.

Big thumbs up to AV for giving him more minutes and sticking with him up there. He was on the ice and made critical plays on the last 3 OT winners this postseason

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
you can make a legitimate argument that Fasth was the best Rangers forward this entire series. All 3 zones. He was absolutely outstanding. The kids are leading the way fellas.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
you can make a legitimate argument that Fasth was the best Rangers forward this entire series. All 3 zones. He was absolutely outstanding. The kids are leading the way fellas.

Absolutely, if you said he was, I would not argue at all.

Also it really looks like Hayes is starting to come along as well. He made the same progression in the playoffs as he did in the regular season. Moving Moore to center and having Hayes play wing was a stroke of genius. It took a huge burden off his shoulders and he responded. He was much better and I am not saying that because he scored the power play goal.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
So, question. I didn't really get to watch Jere Lehtonen much. Does Fast have that type of potential? Is he anything like him?

It's not a bad comparison at all, but let's give it some time. Lehtinen was a great two way player who created and found open space on offense. He led the Stars in goals one year. In '99 when they won the Cup he had career points, in the playoffs he had more goals than Brett Hull(in one more game). And the guy rarely took a minor while being one of the leagues best defensive players.

Loved JF's game last night, the whole playoffs he's made a difference in crucial times.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So, question. I didn't really get to watch Jere Lehtonen much. Does Fast have that type of potential? Is he anything like him?

I was the one who mentioned JL. JL is one of the better two-way forwards/defensive forwards to ever play in the NHL, and a 3 time Selke winner as well. So, no Fast doesn't have the potential to be that.

But they play a similar game. Lehtinen was another player who was always in the right position and had great hockey IQ on the defensive side of the puck.

He definitely had better offensive instincts/skill than what Fast has shown thus far, but alot of his scoring might have been playing on Dallas' top line with Modano.

I think Fast has some offensive upside, but probably won't score like Lehtinen who was a 40-50 point guy even in the dead puck era.

Anyway, Fast was a beast in the Division Finals series in all 3 zones and on both sides of the puck. He has filled that niche role in the top 6 very well.

LongsufferingRangerf

Apr 7, 2015

:handclap:

Your last line is something a graybeard like me has been waiting a long time for..the past few seasons have been a breath of fresh air.

thenumbersdonotlie*

I remember when 80% of this board complained he sucked because he didn't break in the league with 40+ points. Absurd. Rangers have found their new Jan Erixon and Lindberg will be their new D. Moore.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I love Fast's hustle and his instincts and hockey IQ, I just wonder if he has the offense to be a top 6 player.

He doesn't, which is his issue. He's the closest to a true 3rd liner as anyone we have on this team. He's a vanilla player, but damn fine vanilla. He's the type of guy you want out in key defensive situations, and can make some of those little plays to help push our offense, as we saw in the OT goal last night and McD's OT goal a few nights back. He himself isn't going to score many goals and he isn't an offensive playmaker like a MZA, but he'so smart and will make subtle plays that can lead directly to goals. Just because he isn't a top 6 player doesn't mean he isn't a guy every team would want for what he brings. I really hope we can get a nice resigning for him in the offseason,.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Who will be better in his prime Fast or Hags? What do you guys think? Different type of players but both Swedish wingers.

That's a really good question. Hags will turn 27 this year so I think we've seen all we'll get from him, 35-40 points, very good pkr and really just lacks finish. He'll score 17 or so goals because he creates his own chances and shoots the puck a lot. He also stays healthy and doesn't miss many games.

I think Fast has the better vision and patience in the offensive zone, he'll look to make the pass to set up his linemates more but since he doesn't shoot much I'm not sure he'll get more than 12 or so goals. But he could rack up many more assists than Haglin, when was the last time you said "what a pass by Haglin," probably never. I also think he'll turn into a 35-40 pt guy if he plays top 9 minutes like Haglin, and much less if he moves back to the 4th line.

I think they are similar guys but not copies, Both probably fit in best in the bottom 6, and if you have the luxury to play them there than you have a really good team.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
A while back after Zucc got hurt I said that Fast was looking good but had a huge opportunity to prove himself to this organization. He's taken the opportunity and I think he's exceeded everyones expectations.

Big thumbs up to AV for giving him more minutes and sticking with him up there. He was on the ice and made critical plays on the last 3 OT winners this postseason

Could not agree more.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Amazing how this guy has gone from being a borderline NHL player/might get sent down to a huge part of this team's future in a few short months.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
The Rangers do not score that ot goal without his hustle on the faceoff pushing the puck to Yandle to set up the shot.. Great series great hustle.. reminds me of a young Ulf Dalhen

UlfNilsson

Oct 17, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Was thinking of getting a Fast jersey - not only because I like him as a great all-around player but also because I can wear it when I play pickup. I am older and slower now - so it would be kind of funny. Maybe I add "Not" in front of "Fast"?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Rangers do not score that ot goal without his hustle on the faceoff pushing the puck to Yandle to set up the shot.. Great series great hustle.. reminds me of a young Ulf Dalhen

Funny as Dahlen coached him in Sweden and worked with him on his board work and winning battles.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else think that the hockey media in NY thinks that Rangers fans are stupid? That would explain their attitude towards the fan base hating Glass. I just heard something along the lines of "unfortunately Messier's finals years weren't as successful as he wanted them to be in NY, but the fans didn't care they just wanted Messier back". Since when? Most people were pissed at those teams, including Messier. Seems like this is just microcosm of what the media thinks of the fans. Completely illogical fan boys and girls that are very simple and like the high profile players no matter what. Seems like this answers why the hockey media sometimes comes off as patronizing, they think Rangers fans are morons and not on their level.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Can't speak to the Dalhen comparission, but 100% on everything else.

He's the kind of player that makes me feel good about our scouting....though I still ponder the low conversion of 1st rounders.

Fast is a heady, gutsy, hustling player. Not much to dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad