Proposal: Jesper Fast to STL

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Definitely not untouchable, but I'd want a 1st or comparable prospect.
Agreed here and I get that no team in the league would give it up. Which means he’s pretty much unavailable.

For people who don’t know-
Can chip in some points, on pace for around 34 ish this year but that’s not what his game is about (he has a sick 1 timer though)
He’s a defensive forward who excels at everything without the puck. Fast (lol) gritty, great defensively and probably our second best defensive forward, good last year in the playoffs, and a fan favorite. Plays a safe game as well, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen him make a mistake

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Fast is a great fourth liner. It's annoying when AV puts him on higher lines though.

He's a great 4th line player, but that really means he's a 3rd line guy. He plays so much because he is effective.

Oddly enough, I'd like to see him get a shot on the PP. He can have a similar effect to Callahan when he was a Ranger. Net front guy, but gives you a right handed shot out there too, especially on PP2, before they started using Lettieri there.

He's never been given a shot to be a PP guy, and when he was in the SHL, he put up some really good stats. Would like to see this experimented with by season's end.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a great 4th line player, but that really means he's a 3rd line guy. He plays so much because he is effective.

Oddly enough, I'd like to see him get a shot on the PP. He can have a similar effect to Callahan when he was a Ranger. Net front guy, but gives you a right handed shot out there too, especially on PP2, before they started using Lettieri there.

He's never been given a shot to be a PP guy, and when he was in the SHL, he put up some really good stats. Would like to see this experimented with by season's end.

He's a good hockey player, but when playing higher in the lineup with skill players, he's way less effective because thats not his game. For a 4th liner, he has above-average skill. For a top 9 player, he has below-average skill.

The RH-shot issue is lessened by Lettieri now being on the team. Neither is all that good of an offensive player, I wouldn't give out two PP spots to them because they shoot right. One will suffice. Then again, I only think we have like 7 healthy players who can play the PP, so whether its Fast, Lettieri, Vesey, Desharnais playing the 2nd unit right now, it doesn't make a ton of a difference.

If everyone was healthy, these are the units I'd use.

1: Shatty, Buch, Zibanejad, Kreids, Miller
2: DeAngelo, McDonagh, Hayes, Zucc, Nash

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My point with using Fast/Lettieri is because if everyone was healthy, the player in bold is back in the AHL.

Okay, that makes some sense, but I hope he isn't.

Shatty and DeAngelo don't fit great on the same right side, but Smith, Holden, Staal don't fit well on our defense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He's a cheap, cost controlled, effective for the next 3 years, fills a need the Rangers have. So for what he is, the cost would have to be disproportional.

I don't see any value at all in moving him for a 2nd or 3rd. Literally no reason to do that imo.

Fast is far from untouchable, but he's not a player we need to move. It's unlikely "fans" are willing to trade him for anything else than an offer that's fair, with an extra incentive to do it. In other words, we're going to want an a slight over payment because he's probably more valuable to us, and in that case, I don't really see what the Blues would do it.

Has more value to the rangers than st louis

Agreed here and I get that no team in the league would give it up. Which means he’s pretty much unavailable.

For people who don’t know-
Can chip in some points, on pace for around 34 ish this year but that’s not what his game is about (he has a sick 1 timer though)
He’s a defensive forward who excels at everything without the puck. Fast (lol) gritty, great defensively and probably our second best defensive forward, good last year in the playoffs, and a fan favorite. Plays a safe game as well, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen him make a mistake

All of the above.
Doesn't require MASSIVE overpayment, but nothing less than a solid overpayment is min profit Rangers will demand.
St. Lou would like, but does not need such a luxury indulgence unless it takes on injuries.
Would require 2019 1st and a little extra, esp since delayed gratification

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think a 1st auto gets it done but I don't think that is possible for a player at his level nor is that fair market value*. A 2nd seems more realistic but like others have said, the likelihood of getting a better player than Fast with a 2nd isn't that great and it also put that player out of the roster for like 4+ years. If the Rangers magically could get a first, they would have to send a 3rd or another rando player/prospect back for that to happen. Even the, I can't see STL doing this as the 1st is a powerful tool to use at the deadline and as good as a player as Fast is, he's not the type of player you want to use your best chip on when in that high shopping season.

*The last 1st that was traded with nothing else that I could find was Buffalo getting Lehner & Legwand from Ottawa. Before that was Cory Schneider but that was for a very high 1st (Bo Horvat)

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Fast for Perlini.

Arizona desperately needs a great defensive winger for that trainwreck of a team.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think a 1st auto gets it done but I don't think that is possible for a player at his level nor is that fair market value*. A 2nd seems more realistic but like others have said, the likelihood of getting a better player than Fast with a 2nd isn't that great and it also put that player out of the roster for like 4+ years. If the Rangers magically could get a first, they would have to send a 3rd or another rando player/prospect back for that to happen. Even the, I can't see STL doing this as the 1st is a powerful tool to use at the deadline and as good as a player as Fast is, he's not the type of player you want to use your best chip on when in that high shopping season.

*The last 1st that was traded with nothing else that I could find was Buffalo getting Lehner & Legwand from Ottawa. Before that was Cory Schneider but that was for a very high 1st (Bo Horvat)

The Blues don’t have a 1st this year, and I’m not trading the 2019 1st because that draft is gonna be stocked and I don’t want us on the outside looking in. But availability aside, I don’t think Fast is worth a 1st, but I understand the desire of NYR fans to want a “blow my socks off” kind of offer for the guy. There probably isn’t anything on our roster that we could offer you (outside of Blais or Barbashev maybe) that wouldn’t make your team older in the process, and that doesn’t sound like a path anybody here wants to go down.

Doesn’t sound like there’s a trade to be made here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad