Player Discussion Jesper Fast Appreciation Thread

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Surprised this wasn’t made yet, but it really sucks that he’s gone. So far throughout his career, he’s been underpaid every year and will be for the next 3 years.

I admit that this past year I said that I thought he was overrated, not because I thought he was bad, but only because I didn’t think he was worth more than 4 mil (which I thought he would get), but I really do appreciate his contributions to the team, defensively, offensively, and character-wise.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I posted this on the main board, but Fast is the kind of player whose value is difficult to grasp for people who don’t understand how to win hockey games.

Not going to kill Gorton here with the news that he turned down at least an equal offer to stay. Seems like he just wanted out, and I don’t necessarily blame him.

This player will be missed, and is a model late round pick.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Not going to kill Gorton here with the news that he turned down at least an equal offer to stay. Seems like he just wanted out, and I don’t necessarily blame him.
Got a link to this? I'd like to read about it.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He really was an enigma. Good guy. Showed top 6 snipes and playmaking sparingly. Not used right by AV or Quinn.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He really was an enigma. Good guy. Showed top 6 snipes and playmaking sparingly. Not used right by AV or Quinn.
Definitely has a good shot and offensive instincts, but stone hands (his one downside). Is he a consistent top 6 forward? Imo no. But he can be a supportive top 6 winger with the right players. Every player has his limitations, and there is nothing wrong with Fast being a guy who you can put anywhere in the lineup, who excels at his role.

What I really want to know is why he wanted to leave. You don’t see this often with Rangers players until recently with Andersson and Kravtsov. I wonder if this has something to do with that or with Quinn or something else with the organization.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So where was it reported that he wanted to leave, or turned down an offer from us for equal/greater money? Carp just pushed out an article in The Athletic and he didn't say anything about that, he said it was the Rangers being concerned about paying their RFAs and the potential bonus money from their other young players. Strictly cap-related, not anything about Fast wanting to leave.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So where was it reported that he wanted to leave, or turned down an offer from us for equal/greater money? Carp just pushed out an article in The Athletic and he didn't say anything about that, he said it was the Rangers being concerned about paying their RFAs and the potential bonus money from their other young players. Strictly cap-related, not anything about Fast wanting to leave.
I want proof either way. Bc JJ for 1.15 while not re-signing fast for 2 is flat out inexcusably atrocious

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think most are getting it from Edge.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is a piss poor excuse for an appreciation thread. Nothing but backhanded compliments, starting with the OP, and complaining.

Fast is as pure of a hockey player as you’ll ever see. He has a motor that never stops. He does anything and everything he can to help his team win. He maximizes his skills to do so. And, despite his intensity, he does all of it with unassuming class.

Those kinds of people are anchors on any team or in any group no matter the context. Fast will be missed here, and hopefully some of our new players coming up can fill those shoes.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This is a piss poor excuse for an appreciation thread. Nothing but backhanded compliments, starting with the OP, and complaining.

Fast is as pure of a hockey player as you’ll ever see. He has a motor that never stops. He does anything and everything he can to help his team win. He maximizes his skills to do so. And, despite his intensity, he does all of it with unassuming class.

Those kinds of people are anchors on any team or in any group no matter the context. Fast will be missed here, and hopefully some of our new players coming up can fill those shoes.
Reading back, my choice of wording was bad. I should have said “I admit that I thought he was overrated.” Although I think you’re overreacting.

I admitted that I thought he was overrated because there’s always at least one poster (not a specific poster, just in general) who has to bring up some bs every time, like “oh that’s not what you said about Fast on January 5, 2020” or something like that.

I also brought up that I didn’t think he was worth more than 4 mil to explain why I said he was overrated in the past, not to criticize him. He’s a fantastic player. If I didn’t think that, I wouldn’t make this thread. But let’s not act like the Staal appreciation thread was all roses and unicorns.

I’m not complaining about hf, and most posters are cool, but make one simple mistake and some on here won’t let you forget it (like someone bringing up what I said about Fast a few months ago). That’s why I wrote about the contract situation.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Fast has been my favourite skater on the Rangers for several years now. He thinks and hustles his way around the ice like very, very few players are capable of, and he absolutely maximizes his skillset.

He's also been a bit of a Where's Waldo in helping create a bunch of important playoff goals for us over the years; one that always comes to mind...

Honestly, even if we had offered him more (which I want to see reported before I believe), I wouldn't hold this decision against him. He has been our Player's Player for too long for us to bitch because he doesn't want to be in a situation where he is relegated to the 4th line.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
In a lot of ways almost the perfect 3rd liner for the modern game. Could be plugged almost anywhere in the line up, worked his arse off, set a standard for not taking shifts off and had a cheap cap hit. One of those 'glue' guys who you kind of take for granted because they ain't flashy, but they make sure everything keeps chugging along. The kind of player you always hope to find in the 6th round, but rarely do.

Good luck with the Canes!

Reactions: Crease

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Always wondered if his game would’ve been different had it not been for the knee injuries early on.

Had a great shot that he just couldn’t create the time and space to effectively utilize all the time.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think it is fine he is not a young player 28 years old relegated to 4th line means NY is a better team and lucky with recent drafts. But he is a hard working player so really difficult to replace him and wish him the best.

Is Kreider next or will they pay him? (oh boy 6.5mil$ out 2026-27.)

New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad