Jesper Bratt, 6th round pick in 2016, scores in NHL debut (5 points in 2 games)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hit the 20 point mark last night already in only his 30th game. Extremely impressive for his draft position in 2016

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
What happened to him? He's super young, I know. But damn his production just fell off a cliff.

Injuries? Bad linemates?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think the games played is a bit of a bad excuse.

I think he has struggled with the pace of the game increasing over the course of the season and jsut simply hit a wall. Hopefully it wasn’t a flash in the pan because the kid clearly has skill and can make space at the NHL level - but he is very weak on his stick and needs to work on battling along the boards against bigger guys. Adding some muscle should help he is only 19.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
4 points in his last 24 games.

He's talented, but not as talented as his first half of the season.

Probably a 40-50 point player, which is great for a late pick
I don't know how you can make any ceiling predictions as there are no comparables to draw on. The guy has tons of talent, but clearly coukdn't handle the rigors of a full NHL season and his production has reflected that. It's not as if his skill went away.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't know how you can make any ceiling predictions as there are no comparables to draw on. The guy has tons of talent, but clearly coukdn't handle the rigors of a full NHL season and his production has reflected that. It's not as if his skill went away.
How are there no comparables?
Lots of guys come over from Sweden at 19 as rookies.

But a ceiling is more developed from watching him play. He looks like a good, but not great player.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It was rather obvious from the start that he wouldn't keep up the pace.

Bratt was never a dominant offensive forward at any level.. scored 6 goals in 48 games in Sweden last year..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How are there no comparables?
Lots of guys come over from Sweden at 19 as rookies.

But a ceiling is more developed from watching him play. He looks like a good, but not great player.
There are no comparables based on draft position and his current development. Not all players develop the same. How many 6th round picks have played in the NHL in their D+2 season and performed at a fairly high level?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He was scratched lately but has played well in his last few games. As others say he has hit a wall and he wasn’t going to maintain that pace. But I see him becoming a 50pt forward as he matures and gets a little bigger.

6th round pick, steal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It was rather obvious from the start that he wouldn't keep up the pace.

Bratt was never a dominant offensive forward at any level.. scored 6 goals in 48 games in Sweden last year..

At his age guys can still develop. Barzal is a better goal scorer in the NHL than he was in junior for example. Bratt may or may not improve much but based on his last year in Sweden he shouldn’t have made the team, much less have any success at all. When he is on he is smart poised and shifty. No reason he can’t have solid production playing with good players once he gets stronger and improves his stamina. The skill set is there and it is better than a guy scoring 6 in 48 in an overseas league but how much better it’s hard to say.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I remember when I saw some saying he’d go top 5 in a redraft after his real good start (it was like 1 or 2 ppl tbh but I do remember seeing this, quite a few were saying top 10)
Still though he’ll be a good player (40-50 points ish with good two way play) but the hype was a bit too much

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I remember when I saw some saying he’d go top 5 in a redraft after his real good start
Still though he’ll be a good player (40-50 points ish with good two way play) but the hype was a bit too much
Even with his quiet stretches of play this season, he's still one of the top producers from this draft so far. :laugh:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It was obvious he wasn't going to keep up the pace. He needs to put some weight on, but he still has a lot of traits that will make him a solid player if he keeps on developping well.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I remember when I saw some saying he’d go top 5 in a redraft after his real good start (it was like 1 or 2 ppl tbh but I do remember seeing this, quite a few were saying top 10)
Yup, and I remember I caused quite the stir when I dared to suggest that he wasn't a top 10 pick in that draft back in october.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He was scratched lately but has played well in his last few games. As others say he has hit a wall and he wasn’t going to maintain that pace. But I see him becoming a 50pt forward as he matures and gets a little bigger.

6th round pick, steal.

For perspective. 94 forwards hit 50+ points last season. So if you're projecting Bratt as a 50 point forward, you're effectively saying he will become a 1st line forward. Not impossible, but seems improbable to me.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
he's been healthy scratched and playing around 10 to 12 minutes for over a month. before that he hit a wall. Seeing the devils depth charts, if jesper can get second line play and pp time he can be a 50 point player for sure. he already has 35 pts this year as a rookie. His production at the start wasn't sustainable, but it shows what his potential can be. He just needs to develop physically. He's a really smart player, fast an shifty too. To play on the first unit of a pk as a rookie is impressive in itself (because he did that this year).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Two years ago, guys like Draisaitl and Larkin went through the same process. Awesome first half of the season, followed by a sharp decline to end the year. Bratt will be just fine.

Reactions: Blender and Verdoux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad