Jersey Tossing

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Dont care about the jersey toss. It doesn't bug me that someone wants to waste their own money. And if this is what it takes for management and the players to realize how bad things are then so be it. I don't give a **** about all this sentimental "not a true fan" ****. Boohoo you hurt the oilers feelings. Didn't hurt mine, and it's not a reflection of me or any one else who cheers for this team either. If you're embarassed by some drunk idiot throwing his jersey on the ice, then you clearly haven't seen the oilers record for the past 8 years, cause let me tell you, im far more embarrassed of that, than this fiasco.

/endrant

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Dont care about the jersey toss. It doesn't bug me that someone wants to waste their own money. And if this is what it takes for management and the players to realize how bad things are then so be it. I don't give a **** about all this sentimental "not a true fan" ****. Boohoo you hurt the oilers feelings. Didn't hurt mine, and it's not a reflection of me or any one else who cheers for this team either. If you're embarassed by some drunk idiot throwing his jersey on the ice, then you clearly haven't seen the oilers record for the past 8 years, cause let me tell you, im far more embarrassed of that, than this fiasco.

/endrant

Oilers finished 9th in 2007-08 NHL season. :shakehead BY THREE POINTS!!!

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Too bad only the top 8 make the playoffs. Not sure where you're trying to go with this. Do you remember 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 13, and 13-14?

I do and you forget 06-07.

If you support of jersey tossing, what do you get out of it?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Really don't know if you guys care to hear an outsider's perspective, but I'll give you mine.

I guess it's not my place to say whether a person should or should not be tossing a $200 jersey on the ice. That's their choice. My main problem with it is it feels disrespectful to the organization, as a whole. I get the Oilers have had a long struggle and fans are frustrated, and deserve to be, but tossing a jersey on the ice must not feel very good to past players, let alone the ones currently on the ice. It seems insulting to current AND past coaches, management, players, fans...just everyone. I don't think anyone's about to say Edmonton has bad hockey fans because of these few incidences, but it sure reminds you there's a few dickheads in every fanbase. If you're a fan, you're with the team no matter what. I grew up a Bruins fan, starting in the mid 90's. Fans went through a long stretch of irrelevance and force-fed crap from management then too. But, you know what, it made becoming a good team all that much nicer. Even though it sucked, I certainly took something out of the losing years as a fan. And, when EDM does finally get better and make the PO's (which, someday, they will), it will be all that much sweeter.

I get showing a reasonable level of dissatisfaction, but jersey throwing seems over the top insulting and disrespectful.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I do and you forget 06-07.

My apologies. We've been bad for 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 13, and 13-14.

And I don't support jersey tossing, i don't care for it. If it sends the team a message then great, if this is what it takes to start seeing change then great. If not then he's just another frustrated guy, wasting his own money.

It Makes no difference to me. Why do I care if the oilers management and alumni are insulted. Why do i care that some fans take it personally?

Im no less of a fan than anyone else here because I do or don't support jersey tossing.

Last edited:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Just seems like a lot of entitlement, impatience and immaturity that people are so upset after this one game. Was I in a good mood walking out of the arena Thursday night, having watched the Flames score 3 unanswered goals in the 3rd? No. But the people here saying that it was horrible, nothing has changed, OMG we suck so bad, just really didn't take away any positives from the game. The majority of that game, we played quite well. If not for a few defensive lapses and less than average goaltending, it was a pretty solid game. Hell, even in that third period where we couldn't seem to string two passes together and the Flames scored three goals on us, we still managed to get 15 shots on net. If Ramo didn't play such a good game, it would have easily been a different story.

Guess what? Approximately half of the teams lost their first game. Be upset by all means, but get a grip.

Jersey tossing is disrespectful to a team that seemed to try pretty damn hard tonight, just couldn't make it work.

Last edited:

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
The jersey tossing last night had nothing to do with some "fans" frustration with the team, and everything to do with some drunk kid trying to look cool to his buddies. Count on it.
But then again how do we know he wasn't throwing his cell phone and his hoodie got caught in it? I really wish Perron would have drilled the phone into the boards.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Uh...did you play?

I'm not sure it's necessary to call someone out for referring to their team as "we" when they're talking about being poor. You're basically telling him he shouldn't insult himself.

Lots of grammar police on the internet. I think we've met the semantics police.

Oh, and just to (sort of...kind of?) side with you, I remember watching the Oil in 06. I ****ing loved that team. Rooted for them against the Wings in the PO's (in spite of my father who is a Red Wings fan), and watched every single game they played in the 06 run. As a non-fan, I'll NEVER forget how awesome that was.

My first exposure to hockey was when I was 3 or so, and Roloson was playing at UMASS:Lowell. My dad and I had season tickets and I can still faintly remember the "Rolly, Rolly" chants. So, yeah, I remember 06, so I'm pretty sure everyone else does too. Oh, ****, now I'm not siding with you anymore.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
My apologies. We've been bad for 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 13, and 13-14.

And I don't support jersey tossing, i don't care for it. If it sends the team a message then great, if this is what it takes to start seeing change then great. If not then he's just another frustrated guy, wasting his own money.

It Makes no difference to me. Why do I care if the oilers management and alumni are insulted. Why do i care that some fans take it personally?

Im no less of a fan than anyone else here because I do or don't support jersey tossing.

Oh great. If a student graded poorly in his report card and throw a text book to the white board, then do you think his grades improved?

Be honest.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
This. It's pathetic and pointless. We have enough trouble attracting free agents, what do you think Fayne, Nikitin, Pouliot etc thought last night? A game that the Oilers actually played quite well in and controlled most of the pace, and their logo gets disrespected like that? Disgusting. It's not hip or edgy or making a statement. It's juvenile and I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if the person sitting beside the jersey tosser gave him a hard shot in the jaw.

Oh, and if I'd been Perron, I would have hammered that moron's cell into the boards as hard as I could.

That guy should get the "A Clockwork Orange" treatment with his eyes pried open and forced to endure decades of ineptitude involving teams like the Leafs, Cubs, Red/White Sox, Phillies, Ottawa football teams, and Atlanta and Cleveland sports franchises in general.

Image16-578x210.jpg

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Everyone needs to grow up on both sides of the argument. Throwing a jersey is kinda silly and overboard, but makes a pretty big point and is not dangerous during a stoppage or deserving of physical violence. I wouldn't do it, but grow thicker skin.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
This issue at hand is the management is disrespecting fans with this constant nepotism and making questionable hockey decisions that limit this team from ever achieving the playoffs. That in itself is disrespectful to the fans who have had to endure this, and heckling from other fan bases in itself.

The matter at hand is that people in the stands who have shelled out money for their merchandise and outrageously expensive tickets to the game, if they want to want to waste their hard earned money than be my guest, because it's certainly becoming that way and we haven't seen any change. That won't change with Dallas ****ing Eakins at the helm anytime soon.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
This issue at hand is the management is disrespecting fans with this constant nepotism and making questionable hockey decisions that limit this team from ever achieving the playoffs. That in itself is disrespectful to the fans who have had to endure this, and heckling from other fan bases in itself.

The matter at hand is that people in the stands who have shelled out money for their merchandise and outrageously expensive tickets to the game, if they want to want to waste their hard earned money than be my guest, because it's certainly becoming that way and we haven't seen any change. That won't change with Dallas ****ing Eakins at the helm anytime soon.

Is your position that they should change coaches every year?

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
This is an Oilers tradition now. Fans feel like they are making history when they do that. :nod:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Oh great. If a student graded poorly in his report card and throw a text book to the white board, then do you think his grades improved?

Be honest.

I never said that a jersey tosser would make the team better; i said that if this is what it took for them to realize that things have to change soon then its done its job. dont try to use a straw man against me.

and also who are you trying to compare the student to in that analogy? the fans or the oilers? either way it doesnt make sense because the oilers arent the ones throwing the textbooks(jerseys) and the fans arent the ones who need to improve their grades(performance).

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
I never said that a jersey tosser would make the team better; i said that if this is what it took for them to realize that things have to change soon then its done its job. dont try to use a straw man against me.

and also who are you trying to compare the student to in that analogy? the fans or the oilers? either way it doesnt make sense because the oilers arent the ones throwing the textbooks(jerseys) and the fans arent the ones who need to improve their grades(performance).

The behaviour of bad students is equivalent to some fans, who threw their jerseys on the ice.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
The behaviour of bad students is equivalent to some fans, who threw their jerseys on the ice.

ok. so student is equivalent to fans.. this is what your analogy is:

If a student graded poorly in his report card and throw a text book to the white board, then do you think his grades improved?

now lets put it into hockey terms and replace student with fan, like you suggested.

If a fan did poorly on the ice and threw a jersey on the ice then do you think his performance would be better?

see it doesnt make sense no matter how you put it man.

fan behavior =/ on ice performance

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah you can, you just start banning them. It's really quite easy. A two sentence memo could get the policy changed.
They can do whatever they want to do, they make the rules in that building.

The problem with banning people for this now is that they themselves would look like morons after they rewarded the original jersey tosser with a ceremonial puck drop. If any of the decision makers in that organization had any brains or foresight they never would have even acknowledged that incident or more importantly rewarded his behavior. All that did was open the door for more incidents.

Thinking ahead has never been the strong suit of the guys running this team.

Last edited:

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
ok. so student is equivalent to some fans.. this is what your analogy is:

If a student graded poorly in his report card and throw a text book to the white board, then do you think his grades improved?

now lets put it into hockey terms and replace student with fan, like you suggested.

If a fan did poorly on the ice and threw a jersey on the ice then do you think his performance would be better?

Some fans think they are hockey players. So, the only way they can communicate physically is by throwing jerseys on the ice. I love psychology, man.

see it doesnt make sense no matter how you put it man.

fan behavior =/ on ice performance

:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad