ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just saw this on the Red Wings face book page

#22 Nemeth
#51 Filppula
#67 Hirose (changes from #53)
#73 Erne
#81 Nielsen (changes from #51)

I'm going to assume that the team advertising his # change is a good indicator that they plan on having Hirose on the opening roster.

Reactions: Mlotek

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just saw this on the Red Wings face book page

#22 Nemeth
#51 Filppula
#67 Hirose (changes from #53)
#73 Erne
#81 Nielsen (changes from #51)

I'm going to assume that the team advertising his # change is a good indicator that they plan on having Hirose on the opening roster.
I assumed this would always be the case. Was there talk of him not making the roster?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Frans wore 51 in New York. He’s either a really nice guy or a little money was sent his way

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I assumed this would always be the case. Was there talk of him not making the roster?

On the flipside, there also hasn't been anything out there that definitely states he's a lock to make the roster, just that he might have the edge in competition against other waiver exempt guys like Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Zadina, Ehn, etc.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
On the flipside, there also hasn't been anything out there that definitely states he's a lock to make the roster, just that he might have the edge in competition against other waiver exempt guys like Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Zadina, Ehn, etc.
I thought I read that the reason he chose Detroit is because we offered him playing time with the big club.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I thought I read that the reason he chose Detroit is because we offered him playing time with the big club.

That's possible.

The latest I saw came from Khan article a week ago:

Rasmussen needs to play regularly on one of the top three lines to stay in Detroit. He’ll be competing with other young, waiver-exempt forwards like Taro Hirose, Filip Zadina and Ryan Kuffner. Chances are, no more than two will start the season in Detroit, barring injuries to others.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
This preseason is going to be such a blast.

Looks to me like the org is relishing adding fuel to the trial by fire. I'm expecting a few drastic things to happen between now and october.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This preseason is going to be such a blast.

Looks to me like the org is relishing adding fuel to the trial by fire. I'm expecting a few drastic things to happen between now and october.

Like what? Injured Dmen?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Like what? Injured Dmen?

Plenty of that(52,55,25,83) but also from an evaluation/depth chart standpoint.

Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Veleno, etc all have a chance to make the team based on pure performance based head to head competition rather than our typical veteran/depth/contract rights considerations scenario.

And it seems through his moves and his words that Yzerman is looking to challenge that group. He's basically said "so far, I'm comfortable moving into the future with Larkin, and Hronek, the rest we'll see"

I think that's going to be a fruitful approach, and I expect that somebody in that group has been making the strides necessary to wow us in September and we wont believe that we werent sure that they were as NHL ready as Hronek.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Good on Nielsen for giving up 51
I'm curious what initiated that. I feel like if the request came from Flip then it was kinda douchey. Maybe someone asked Frans on his behalf, or maybe Frans just took the initiative because he didn't mind changing?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'm curious what initiated that. I feel like if the request came from Flip then it was kinda *****ey. Maybe someone asked Frans on his behalf, or maybe Frans just took the initiative because he didn't mind changing?

Honestly, as long as everyone's cool with it, should be all gravy. I wonder why he chose 81 instead of 15 though; a lot of guys seem to simply reverse the number if available.

And oddly, Flipper isn't even listed on the Wings roster (NHL.com), but Erne is... :huh:

Looks like Nemeth is going to be my new favorite underdog, wearing my double-deuce.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit offered Kuffner and Hirose playing time last season, I'm sure the deal was "sign with us and you'll play the rest of the season with the big club." I doubt the deal extended past the season, I seriously doubt Kuffner makes the team. That being said, Hirose made the most of his opportunity, and I expect him to make the roster barring any injuries.

I'm curious what initiated that. I feel like if the request came from Flip then it was kinda *****ey. Maybe someone asked Frans on his behalf, or maybe Frans just took the initiative because he didn't mind changing?
… or maybe Stevie told him #51 is available in Grand Rapids if he wants to keep the number? I'm sure they asked in a more politically correct tone, but I bet it was management that asked on behalf of both Seider and Flip.

In my opinion, part of the decision to bring back Flip was based on marketing, and this gives the fans the ability to reuse their old Flip jerseys and throw their Abby jerseys away.

A little trivia while we're at it, Flip also wore #41 and 52 in his first season, didn't switch to 51 until midway through his second.

(Edited to get the numbers correct)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Frans wore 51 in New York. He’s either a really nice guy or a little money was sent his way

Filppula has a year of service in terms of NHL, about 110 total NHL games and five more years as a Red Wings player on Frans.

We do know Frans is a standup guy though, he has always been extremely well liked in both Long Island and Detroit. So I am not surprised at all, but in terms of the rubber meets the road tie-breakers they do belong to Filppula in terms of how these are usually settled.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
That being said, Hirose made the most of his opportunity, and I expect him to make the roster barring any injuries.

Agreed... Kuffner is, at best, 4th line/GR fodder, and I say that with all due respect.

Hirose has flashes of Hudler, and that's not a bad thing.

(edit: I've also been drinking, and we all know what that means, but there shouldn't be an apostrophe in the thread title after the # symbol. :laugh::help:)

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

- Frans Nielsen is younger than Filppula (just few months, but still, could be small veteran respect aspect)
- Filppula has more games as a Red Wing (wearing #51)
- Filppula won a Stanley Cup with Red Wings #51
- Nielsen is a nice guy, just like Filppula. :)

And who knows if Nielsen preferred #18 on his Denmark days. Filppula was #15 in Finland, and swapped it when came to NHL.

Maybe Nielsen also swapped for his "right" number from his youth days.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
- Frans Nielsen is younger than Filppula (just few months, but still, could be small veteran respect aspect)
- Filppula has more games as a Red Wings (wearing #51)
- Filppula won a Stanley Cup with Red Wings #51
- Nielsen is a nice guy, just like Filppula. :)

And who knows if Nielsen preferred #18 on his Denmark days. Filppula was #15 in Finland, and swapped it when came to NHL.

Maybe Nielsen also swapped for his "right" number from his youth days.
Or maybe Frans develops the Hossa skin condition/equipment allergy? :naughty:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Or maybe Frans develops the Hossa skin condition/equipment allergy? :naughty:

Don't think so.

But Nielsen has very tradeable contract on his last season.

- Only 3M in salary left
- 1.5M paid in bonuses on July 1st
- So only 1.5M money to be paid after July 1st, with 5.25M caphit.
- Only 10 team NTC.

You retent 50% of the last year to push the caphit down (to 2.625M), if our own cap space isn't needed full 100%.

And that's a good deal to get a draft pick from somewhere.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Don't think so.

But Nielsen has very tradeable contract on his last season.

- Only 3M in salary left
- 1.5M paid in bonuses on July 1st
- So only 1.5M money to be paid after July 1st, with 5.25M caphit.
- Only 10 team NTC.

You retent 50% of the last year to push the caphit down (to 2.625M), if our own cap space isn't needed full 100%.

And that's a good deal to get a draft pick from somewhere.
I was just making a joke, thus the emoji, b/c Hossa also wore #81, like Frans will be. But yeah, I agree.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
… or maybe Stevie told him #51 is available in Grand Rapids if he wants to keep the number? I'm sure they asked in a more politically correct tone, but I bet it was management that asked on behalf of both Seider and Flip.

In my opinion, part of the decision to bring back Flip was based on marketing, and this gives the fans the ability to reuse their old Flip jerseys and throw their Abby jerseys away.

A little trivia while we're at it, Flip also wore #41 and 52 in his first season, didn't switch to 51 until midway through his second.

(Edited to get the numbers correct)

My thoughts exactly. I’m sure the switch was made under the most diplomatic circumstances but it was happening regardless of either players’ feelings on the matter. Appease the fans wherever possible when the stakes are low. Filppula had fans here at one point. Their jerseys can be relevant again.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My thoughts exactly. I’m sure the switch was made under the most diplomatic circumstances but it was happening regardless of either players’ feelings on the matter. Appease the fans wherever possible when the stakes are low. Filppula had fans here at one point. Their jerseys can be relevant again.
He still has fans, look at the team FB page. Heck, even Abby has fans, most casual hockey fans don't know crap.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Filppula has a year of service in terms of NHL, about 110 total NHL games and five more years as a Red Wings player on Frans.

We do know Frans is a standup guy though, he has always been extremely well liked in both Long Island and Detroit. So I am not surprised at all, but in terms of the rubber meets the road tie-breakers they do belong to Filppula in terms of how these are usually settled.

He also left to go play somewhere else and the number was available when Frans joined the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad