Jersey retirement

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Still not sure what you mean by that since 88 had better numbers but it's not the point. I get your point. Recchi should be considered a Flyer. I think they will probably side with retiring #8 if he does get into the HHoF; which he should IMO.

Yes... that was my basic point... and the corrected Stats that breaks out the numbers in the Organization shows that IMO... maybe not on a per game basis, but on a whole. Further analyzing Rex's numbers will also show a few monster Seasons where he rewrote some Flyers Season Records that stand to this day.

I really don't see any scenario where Recchi does not get inducted in the HHoF... Sadly though Eric has a to overcome his shortened career which kept his total numbers down as well as some prejudices held towards him by some holding HHoF Induction Ballots. And both must challenge the Organization Powers That Be who are stingy with the Number Retirements.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes... that was my basic point... and the corrected Stats that breaks out the numbers in the Organization shows that IMO... maybe not on a per game basis, but on a whole. Further analyzing Rex's numbers will also show a few monster Seasons where he rewrote some Flyers Season Records that stand to this day.

I really don't see any scenario where Recchi does not get inducted in the HHoF... Sadly though Eric has a to overcome his shortened career which kept his total numbers down as well as some prejudices held towards him by some holding HHoF Induction Ballots. And both must challenge the Organization Powers That Be who are stingy with the Number Retirements.

We could see BOTH of them going into the HHoF in 2016. Lindros support has been growing for years and now that Bure and Forsberg are in, there is no reason other than bias to not have him in.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Their PPGs arent even close. Lindros's Flyers years is one of the highest PPG in NHL history. If you look at just his Flyers years, he has a 1.35 PPG, which would be good for 5th best all-time.

Recchis 1.04 PPG would be good for 48th all-time.

I'm not trying to diminish Recchi's Flyers legacy. He was my 2nd favorite Flyer behind LeClair during his second stint with us. I just feel like your diminishing the disparity in their performances.

I was talking overall output... as in total numbers while wearing O&B I have acknowledged that Lindros had better per game stats.

In total some category totals favored one and some favored the other... on a Organization Career basis.

I really don't mean to argue that #88 had monster per game presence... nor #8 had a fantastic long and sucessful career... They both served the O&B extremely well in my book. :)

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I would think Recchi would consider himself a Flyer if he had to choose one team. He spent the longest time here and had his best years in Philly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Recchi isn't even in the Flyers HoF. The whole point was that Recchi was a vagabond even in his younger years. Lindros' name is much more synamous with the Flyers.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Recchi isn't even in the Flyers HoF. The whole point was that Recchi was a vagabond even in his younger years. Lindros' name is much more synamous with the Flyers.

Recchi is not in the Flyers HoF simply due to timing... They are only now Inducting that Era's players... Rico had to be considered right off the bat and #88/#10 were sold as a Package, and rightfully so... Brindy is a huge fan favorite to this day and was a no brainer... I would guess that Rex is next.

Are you arguing that Recchi's numbers do not support FHoF inclusion?

It sounds like it has become to some here an argument that Recchi was better than Lindros or visa-versa... which is not the case at all, as I see it... supporting one in no way belittles the other.

To call Rex a "vagabond" is highly unfair IMO... He was a young and upcoming star when Pittsburgh traded him for what they believed made them a better Team... and so did the Flyers when they used him to net Leclair and Rico, which they needed... their #1 D-man and as gravy, Lindros' sidekick. This was done after the Organization refused to include him in the Lindros deal and let Forsberg go instead... he was traded back again to the Flyers in a Hockey move... There is no reason to call him a vagabond because he was traded without his say-so in pure hockey deals made to improve Teams... and with value going back.

Recchi then became a Free Agent and was offered a fantastic Contract by the Pens to get him back, when Clarke was afraid to give out contracts, not knowing what the Market would be with the new CBA and probable Cap... He had nothing on the table with the Flyers who he had said he wanted to retire from, and that he planned on settling down for good in Haddonfield... he would have been foolish to pass up the Pen's offer... Feathers were ruffled with Clarke and the Flyers with that.

After that he was used as Trade Deadline Acquisitions and signed FA Deals for the rest of his career... picking up a couple more Cups along the way... and this was in the New NHL that was not very favorable to veteran players with talent and seeking high contracts.

A vagabond to me is one who moves from place to place at whim and without a plan to settle in one place... in this case I would add also being a carpetbagger who moves merely to use his employer for gain... I really don't see how he was a 'vagabond'.

Rex spent ten years in Philly and didn't push to move out -- IIRC he and Primeau deferred some salary so the Flyers could use it to sign other Players... which doesn't sound like a Player looking to move on -- He at the time was a loyal Flyer and good to the Fans and Organization... Granted, after he left the ties have not been close, but he has still been good with the Flyers Fans... Vagabond is unfair, IMO.

I do agree that Lindros is more synonymous with the Flyers... but that is only because of the story behind him and how he was the Team Leader... but that doesn't mean that Rex was not an important piece of Flyers History.

... Sorry to the length of the post.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Too long, didn't read. My point is that Recchi played with a handful teams throughout his career whether it was in the beginning, middle, or end of it to the point that I really don't think he identifies with really any of them. I never meant to imply it was because of his doing or not but that it's just the reality that he played for a lot of teams.

Lindros to me identifies more as a Flyer because he played here from the beginning almost to the end (he was done when he was with Toronto & Dallas). If you ask causal fans about Lindros they probably look at his years with the Flyers. I'm not sure if you can say that about Recchi.

In any event that's my opinion on it. You can like it or not I really don't care either way.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Recchi was as much a Flyer as he was a Canadien, a Penguin, a Bruin, etc.

Lindros was the Flyers in the 90's. Huge difference.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Too long, didn't read. My point is that Recchi played with a handful teams throughout his career whether it was in the beginning, middle, or end of it to the point that I really don't think he identifies with really any of them. I never meant to imply it was because of his doing or not but that it's just the reality that he played for a lot of teams.

Lindros to me identifies more as a Flyer because he played here from the beginning almost to the end (he was done when he was with Toronto & Dallas). If you ask causal fans about Lindros they probably look at his years with the Flyers. I'm not sure if you can say that about Recchi.

In any event that's my opinion on it. You can like it or not I really don't care either way.

Recchi was as much a Flyer as he was a Canadien, a Penguin, a Bruin, etc.

Lindros was the Flyers in the 90's. Huge difference.

I'll keep this short: If you insist on making it a competition between Lindros and Recchi than I will agree that Lindros=Flyers and Rex=Flyers-plus. (Although I don't really care either)

... Maybe we should call a Number Retirement, 'Number no longer to be worn based on Player being compared to another randomly selected Player in Team History'. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad