Jersey retirement

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
HHoF = Retired Flyers jersey.

Lindros & Recchi are probably the best bets in the near future due to that.

LeClair won't go HHoF... and after #88 & #8 are inducted and their jerseys hung from the rafters the next guy with a shot will probably be #28 sometime in the 2030's.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know he played the most & had his best individual seasons with the Flyers but I still don't really recognize Recchi as a lifetime Flyer.

He just moved around way too much in his career to be a lifetime anything IMO.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I know he played the most & had his best individual seasons with the Flyers but I still don't really recognize Recchi as a lifetime Flyer.

Yeah, of the current options, Lindros is the only one with a shot. And I doubt it happens. Giroux, with a cup, would assuredly happen.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey

I agree with this. I'd definitely give Lindros more of a chance of getting his number retired more than Recchi

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Striiker has it right. Or if I'm strapped for time, I'll just say Timonen.

For instance: "oh god Beefette, I need a Timonen of TP squares right now."

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
#28 will be hanging from the rafters one day, G has stats for days very hall worthy, Lindros should be in the hall very ignorant that he isn't, and no to #8 Rec's although a solid Flyer like someone said above bounced around way too much to be a lifetime anything

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
#28 will be hanging from the rafters one day, G has stats for days very hall worthy, Lindros should be in the hall very ignorant that he isn't, and no to #8 Rec's although a solid Flyer like someone said above bounced around way too much to be a lifetime anything

Needs some hardware before he can go into the hall

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Yeah, of the current options, Lindros is the only one with a shot. And I doubt it happens. Giroux, with a cup, would assuredly happen.

I agree with this. I'd definitely give Lindros more of a chance of getting his number retired more than Recchi

Check the stats per Flyers Website, Guys... Recchi, who you don't consider a true 'Flyer', has much better total numbers with the Flyers than Lindros:

Recchi - Games Played 1652... Goals 577... Assists 956... Points 1533... PP 200 SH 18... GW 91

Lindros - Games Played 760 ... Goals 372... Assists 493... Points 865... PP 111 SH 7... GW 46

... Lindros left the Flyers due to infighting with Team, Injury Frequency, and Holdout

... Recchi left the Flyers the first time in a trade for Leclair and Desjardins+ and the second time due to Free Agency during the Lockout Season where he was not offered a Contract by Clarke and the Flyers to sign an offer he couldn't refuse with the Penguins.

... Lindros played with three additional Organizations before retiring early due to health issues.

... Recchi played with six additional Organizations after a long extended career.

Please explain to me again how Lindros is a true Flyers worthy having his Number Retired by the Organization if he does get into the HHoF... but Recchi is not a true Flyer and is not worthy when he is enshrined there?... Keeping in mind that Rex has had much more of his stats in O&B than in any other color... and has arguably had his best personal Season with the Flyers... and no other Organization can claim him over the Flyers.

EDIT: I have just discovered that while the Flyers website details the Flyers numbers, they show Total NHL numbers at the bottom... those stats for each Player are Career NHL Totals.

I will have to post the Flyers numbers breakouts in a new post when I get the chance... Obviously it will not be as great an argument for Recchi as the above was... I have to admit that they did seem high. LOL

I apologize for my error.

EDIT-2: Corrected stats are in Post #24 of this thread.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Check the stats per Flyers Website, Guys... Recchi, who you don't consider a true 'Flyer', has much better total numbers with the Flyers than Lindros:

Recchi - Games Played 1652... Goals 577... Assists 956... Points 1533... PP 200 SH 18... GW 91

Lindros - Games Played 760 ... Goals 372... Assists 493... Points 865... PP 111 SH 7... GW 46

... Lindros left the Flyers due to infighting with Team, Injury Frequency, and Holdout

... Recchi left the Flyers the first time in a trade for Leclair and Desjardins+ and the second time due to Free Agency during the Lockout Season where he was not offered a Contract by Clarke and the Flyers to sign an offer he couldn't refuse with the Penguins.

... Lindros played with three additional Organizations before retiring early due to health issues.

... Recchi played with six additional Organizations after a long extended career.

Please explain to me again how Lindros is a true Flyers worthy having his Number Retired by the Organization if he does get into the HHoF... but Recchi is not a true Flyer and is not worthy when he is enshrined there?

Recchis numbers with the Flyers are not better than Lindros.

Recchi had 621 points in 592 games as a Flyer.

Lindros had 659 points in 486 games as a Flyer.

Playoffs, Lindros also has an advantage with 57 points in 50 games to Recchis 39 points in 65 games.

Recchi will be a tough one to decide on. He did spend more years in Philly than any other city, but at the same time he played less than half of his career here. He might be one of those guys that gets into the HHoF but doesn't have his number retired by any team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Also worth noting that Recchi played more than 200 games more as a Flyer than any other team, he played parts of 10 seasons in Philly.

as a Flyer: 602gp, 232g, 395a, 627p.

Also arguably his three best seasons cam as a Flyer. (99-00, 92-93 & 93-94)

He also went to 6/7 of his All-Star games as a Flyer.

11th all time in Flyers goals.
4th all time in Flyers assists.
8th all time in Flyers points.

He also played more games as a Flyer than Mark Howe.

I think if he makes the HHoF he has a good shot of getting #8 retired. But it is not a guarantee.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Recchis numbers with the Flyers are not better than Lindros.

Recchi had 621 points in 592 games as a Flyer.

Lindros had 659 points in 486 games as a Flyer.

Playoffs, Lindros also has an advantage with 57 points in 50 games to Recchis 39 points in 65 games.

Recchi will be a tough one to decide on. He did spend more years in Philly than any other city, but at the same time he played less than half of his career here. He might be one of those guys that gets into the HHoF but doesn't have his number retired by any team.

Looking at the Lindros/Recchi comparison in context to the question in point... Lindros is a Flyer where Recchi is not a Flyer since he played so many Games with other Organizations... I was pointing out the better numbers with the Flyers in the sense of scoring more and Playing more Games in O&B than #88... Rex claims more Flyers stats than does Eric.

I am not arguing who is the better Player, nor am I debating whose stats are more impressive on a per game basis... I'm merely questioning how Lindros can be considered such an important part of the Flyers Organization and History... and the Flyers such an important part of his Career... while Rex is dismissed as basically a Journeyman Player who is not in consideration as being a Flyer when all is said and done in his career evaluation.

If Lindros with his Games Played and Stats is so strongly considered a Flyer, it only goes to say that Recchi does also... Not taking a thing away from #88 at all... merely not overlooking the Flyers Career of #8.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking at the Lindros/Recchi comparison in context to the question in point... Lindros is a Flyer where Recchi is not a Flyer since he played so many Games with other Organizations... I was pointing out the better numbers with the Flyers in the sense of scoring more and Playing more Games in O&B than #88... Rex claims more Flyers stats than does Eric.

I am not arguing who is the better Player, nor am I debating whose stats are more impressive on a per game basis... I'm merely questioning how Lindros can be considered such an important part of the Flyers Organization and History... and the Flyers such an important part of his Career... while Rex is dismissed as basically a Journeyman Player who is not in consideration as being a Flyer when all is said and done in his career evaluation.

If Lindros with his Games Played and Stats is so strongly considered a Flyer, it only goes to say that Recchi does also... Not taking a thing away from #88 at all... merely not overlooking the Flyers Career of #8.

Still not sure what you mean by that since 88 had better numbers but it's not the point. I get your point. Recchi should be considered a Flyer. I think they will probably side with retiring #8 if he does get into the HHoF; which he should IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
By the way, I think if Giroux plays his entire career as a Flyer but for some reason, doesn't have the numbers to make the HHoF, he will still get his # retired here. Much like a guy like Patrick Marleau, who I don't view as a HOFer at this point, but will probably get his number retired by SJ when all is said and done.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Okay... here are the stats while with Flyers I worked up for each player:

Recchi - Years 10... Games Played 602... Goals 232... Assists 395... Points 627... PP 74 SH 10... GW 39

Lindros - Years 8... Games Played 486 ... Goals 290... Assists 369... Points 659... PP 82 SH 6... GW 37

With that the argument for Recchi being as much a Flyer as Lindros still stands in my eyes... He played here more Years and Games and his Offense output for the Flyers is comparable to Eric's, give or take here and there... #88 did accomplish more in less Games than #8, but to me this still shows that Rex is every bit an important piece of Flyers History that Lindros was... less the off-ice drama and sexiness. The fact that Recchi also played and had important Seasons in other Organizations... and won Cups elsewhere in my eyes does not diminish his Flyers Legacy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Okay... here are the stats while with Flyers I worked up for each player:

Recchi - Years 10... Games Played 602... Goals 232... Assists 395... Points 627... PP 74 SH 10... GW 39

Lindros - Years 8... Games Played 486 ... Goals 290... Assists 369... Points 659... PP 82 SH 6... GW 37

With that the argument for Recchi being as much a Flyer as Lindros still stands in my eyes... He played here more Years and Games and his Offense output for the Flyers is comparable to Eric's, give or take here and there... #88 did accomplish more in less Games than #8, but to me this still shows that Rex is every bit an important piece of Flyers History that Lindros was... less the off-ice drama and sexiness. The fact that Recchi also played and had important Seasons in other Organizations... and won Cups elsewhere in my eyes does not diminish his Flyers Legacy.

Their PPGs arent even close. Lindros's Flyers years is one of the highest PPG in NHL history. If you look at just his Flyers years, he has a 1.35 PPG, which would be good for 5th best all-time.

Recchis 1.04 PPG would be good for 48th all-time.

I'm not trying to diminish Recchi's Flyers legacy. He was my 2nd favorite Flyer behind LeClair during his second stint with us. I just feel like your diminishing the disparity in their performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad