Jersey numbers you want players to wear

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'd love for some cocky up-and-coming young center to wear #1, just for the ridiculous reactions it would undoubtedly spawn

Plus, it'd look novel

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Crappy players should be required to wear #2.
I agree. #2 should be left open every year. In every team's training camp all players must perform. The worst one, gets the honour of #2 for the whole season.

Everyone globally watching NHL games will instantly recognize that '#2' on every team is the 'crappiest'.

If his fortune changes and he has a great season, he can change his number for the playoffs. :sarcasm:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Wasn’t expecting Kadri to switch, but love 91.
He wore that in junior.

Funny thing, a year or two ago, Kadri was asked about his jersey number '43' and he replied, saying "that was the number they (Leafs) gave me during my first camp." He went on and said he wanted to make '43' his own, kind of like you see 43, you think Nazem Kadri. So he stuck with it throughout his time.

I was surprised too, when I saw him rocking the stud-like 91. But kudos to him, he is a stud and it looks good on him. I hope he has a 60+point season as a #2C.

20190917_014826.jpg

EAZ2nRAXoAMm_k7.jpg

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
I'm traditional with numbers. I like seeing players in generally low, classic numbers.

I also don't believe in number retirement. I think numbers that are significant to a team should be given to the next crop of stars in order for the legacy to grow.

For example, I think it would be really cool for a goaltender developed by the Devils to earn the #30, or for the defacto heart and soul player of the Rangers to take #11.

As much as love Adam Graves, Kaapo Kakko should be #9. It's a beautiful scoring winger's number for the best prospect we've had in ages.

I could not agree with you more!! You are 100% on point!!

This concept of retiring numbers may have started out with good intention. But the bar has been dropped way too low. As a result, there are way too many primary hockey numbers between 1 and 19 that have been retired without just cause. For me, I don't like the concept even at the best of times. As a result, we see way too many non-hockey numbers in the 60s and 70s that just don't look right.

If I was commissioner, I would unretire ALL numbers throughout the league.

Reactions: Machinehead

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree. #2 should be left open every year. In every team's training camp all players must perform. The worst one, gets the honour of #2 for the whole season.

Everyone globally watching NHL games will instantly recognize that '#2' on every team is the 'crappiest'.

If his fortune changes and he has a great season, he can change his number for the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Speaking of the number 2, I'm glad a certain player chose the perfect number for his name.

#22, Jordin Tootoo. Excellent choice sir. (or at least he chose it as often as he could I believe)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
always wanted to see Paul Ranger in NY

What about Martin St. Louis in St. Louis?

The one I wanted was in the mid-90's, when Doug Gilmour was in Toronto and Todd Gill was playing D for them, I wanted them to acquire Jayson More so they could have a goal scored by Gilmour with assists to Gill and More.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad