NFL: Jerry Richardson puts Panthers up for sale - UPDATE: David Tepper is the buyer

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Seems rather human for a multi-billionaire.

David Tepper recounts father's abuse during CMU commencement speech

A Stanton Heights native, Tepper gave a commencement address Sunday at Carnegie Mellon University, where he earned his MBA in 1982. He recounted his rise from relatively humble beginnings, as a "kid from the streets of Pittsburgh," and the important lessons his father taught him, then added that his father "had a bad side, too."

"He was physically abusive to me," Tepper told his audience of graduates, school officials and guests, including his 86-year-old mother and another CMU alumnus and commencement speaker, actor Ted Danson. "I'm sure it was a cycle that he got from his father, and his father got from his father.

"In my young life, there was nothing more terrifying," Tepper continued, fighting back tears. "There was no greater adversity, but I prayed to God that I would never be the same to my children.

"And I'm proud to say that what I view as the greatest accomplishment of my life — I broke that cycle!" he exclaimed, to applause. Tepper paused to take sip of water and gather himself, telling the crowd with a chuckle, "Now I'm shaking."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad