NFL: Jerry Richardson puts Panthers up for sale - UPDATE: David Tepper is the buyer

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Charlotte would be at the top of the list of unoccupied places the NFL should be in if they didn't have a team. They've got a modern stadium and have sold out every game since 2002. The stadium is in the heart of downtown (sorry, I'm not calling it uptown) and the city council wouldn't want that going unused. I have zero worry about them leaving.

Reactions: SnS

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hoping for the sake of Panthers fans in Carolina that the team doesn't get moved when sold. That would flat out blow.

I don't foresee them moving. The Carolinas have about 15 million people combined, and with the popularity of Newton and kids who grew up with the team and are now having kids of their own, its becoming more and more common to see people wearing Panthers shirts in places like Raleigh and Greensboro, whereas 10 years ago that wasn't the case.

Reactions: SnS
Mar 1, 2002
The richest Carolinian is a guy named James Goodnight, CEO of SAS Institute, worth over 8 billion. Undergrad, graduate and doctorate from NC St, so he's a local for sure. Apparently runs a very employee friendly work place, always in top 5 of Best Places to Work lists. If they want to stay there, I'd see if he wants in.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The richest Carolinian is a guy named James Goodnight, CEO of SAS Institute, worth over 8 billion. Undergrad, graduate and doctorate from NC St, so he's a local for sure. Apparently runs a very employee friendly work place, always in top 5 of Best Places to Work lists. If they want to stay there, I'd see if he wants in.

Goodnight and his partner John Sall have the dough, but the interest I don't think is there. They very easily could have bought the Hurricanes all this time when Karmanos was looking for a local buyer but they never hinted any interest. Never have FWIW. Goodnight I believe is more of a Soccer guy anyways (SAS Stadium in Cary where the NCFC plays).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Charlotte would be at the top of the list of unoccupied places the NFL should be in if they didn't have a team. They've got a modern stadium and have sold out every game since 2002. The stadium is in the heart of downtown (sorry, I'm not calling it uptown) and the city council wouldn't want that going unused. I have zero worry about them leaving.

To be fair they wouldn't have said stadium if there was no NFL team.

He was worth 2.7 bn as of 2013, so he's got the cash.

Goodnight and his partner John Sall have the dough, but the interest I don't think is there. They very easily could have bought the Hurricanes all this time when Karmanos was looking for a local buyer but they never hinted any interest. Never have FWIW. Goodnight I believe is more of a Soccer guy anyways (SAS Stadium in Cary where the NCFC plays).

NFL teams are cash cows compared to NHL teams. They are a much safer investment.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

This was refuted a bit yesterday but when uncle Adam reports it, you can generally take it to the bank. He's rarely wrong.

Tepper has a pair of brass testicles. Cartoonishly huge and grotesquely veiny, they are affixed to a plaque inscribed with the words THE MOST VALUABLE SET OF ALL TIME and are not at all out of place in Appaloosa’s offices, which resemble a high-end sports bar—all polished mahogany and flat-screen TVs and black-and-gold Steelers paraphernalia—or a wealthy frat house. (“We had this client, they make breast implants,” says a former employee. “He loved to keep them on the desk, he’d love to throw them around.”) Appaloosa is staffed almost entirely by men.

Ready to Be Rich

Great.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am sure NFL and Pittsburgh ownership already has potential candidates in line

Wouldn't be shocked if one of the other Steeler minority owners move to purchase his share

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

NFL finally rids itself of Jerry Richardson.

At least he'll always have the NFL record for frowning the longest (roughly 23 years).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds like a shot at Matt Kalil. I can't think of many other big money free agents the Panthers have signed in the last 10 years. He's been fine, not worth the money, but fine enough. When Ryan retires after this season, Matt's play is going to have to improve because his cap hit goes up 6M -> 3M -> 500k while his dead cap goes down about 5M each year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And the $2.2 billion price tag is for the entire 100% stake not just Richardson’s 48% portion.

Should be a fairly straight forward transaction to complete since he’s already a minority owner of the Steelers.

Buying it in cash, which is impressive. Not a lot of billionaires have such a large part of their wealth in cash on hand.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't foresee them moving. The Carolinas have about 15 million people combined, and with the popularity of Newton and kids who grew up with the team and are now having kids of their own, its becoming more and more common to see people wearing Panthers shirts in places like Raleigh and Greensboro, whereas 10 years ago that wasn't the case.
And where are they gonna go? San Antonio? I don't think so. They'd be back to square one regarding stadium and they'd be in a smaller market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->