Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
This is some next level Buffalo ****. If Skinner isn't putting in the work you have to correct and not reward that tough.
No doubt. But look at it this way:
GM signs player to huge deal with nmc clause for the duration and the coach can’t find a way to get him going so he effectively benches him? There are disconnects all over the board here between gm/coach, coach/player gm/player. This is serious shyte. He is here for 7 more years.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
All I can think about was when Botts went out and signed some hard man when we played Tampa and Ralph played him like 30 seconds in what very clearly was intended as a giant FU to Botts. Can you imagine if a coach pulled that type of insubordination on Lamorello? Lou would go onto the bench, fire the guy and then rehire him just to fire him again.

Reactions: Samsonite23

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No doubt. But look at it this way:
GM signs player to huge deal with nmc clause for the duration and the coach can’t find a way to get him going so he effectively benches him? There are disconnects all over the board here between gm/coach, coach/player gm/player. This is serious shyte. He is here for 7 more years.
The unholy trinity

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
All I can think about was when Botts went out and signed some hard man when we played Tampa and Ralph played him like 30 seconds in what very clearly was intended as a giant f* y** to Botts. Can you imagine if a coach pulled that type of insubordination on Lamorello? Lou would go onto the bench, fire the guy and then rehire him just to fire him again.
The best thing Ralph has done all season tbh

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Member 308457

11 of 18 of VO's goals this year have been on the pp. That's 7 goals even strength in 48 games.

32 of 40 of Skinner's goals last year came at even strength.

This is crunch time. I think Krueger has to keep his ego in check to prove he's always right and go with whoever's better in certain positions. Seems like Skinner's better with Eichel at even strength and VO is better with Eichel on the pp.

Reactions: Grinder81

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
My uneducated guess is that Eichel prefers to play with Olofsson and the coach knows as much.

it would’ve been tried by now if anything else

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
My uneducated guess is that Eichel prefers to play with Olofsson and the coach knows as much.

This is sooooo obvious, said it months ago

Eichel prefers Olofsson

Olofsson is consistent. Jack knows where he'll be, he can play off him so much better than Skinner

And from Krueger's view, Olofsson can be trusted. He's not the best defensively, but the effort is there. He can be trusted to give it his all, and for the most part, be where he's supposed to be.

Skinner is none of these things.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

You may be right, but if this is the case then I'm showing Jack the numbers and telling him what I think is best for the team.

Jack w/ VO this year:
53% GF
46% xGF
48% SCF

Jack w/ Skinner last year:
55% GF
54% xGF
53% SCF

To be honest, I really don't care if Skinner plays with Eichel even though the data shows that it's a more effective 5v5 line. I just want our top 4 offensive options (Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson) maximized by splitting them into pairs.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
This is sooooo obvious, said it months ago

Eichel prefers Olofsson

Olofsson is consistent. Jack knows where he'll be, he can play off him so much better than Skinner

And from Krueger's view, Olofsson can be trusted. He's not the best defensively, but the effort is there. He can be trusted to give it his all, and for the most part, be where he's supposed to be.

Skinner is none of these things.
It's likely going to be the worst contract in the NHL, and is already very close. $9M needs to get you consistent, elite production. It can't just be good analytics at that price.

I was seeing the warning signs during the stretch run last year, where he stopped scoring. He's a guy you give $5-$6M, not elite money. This will be right up there with the ROR trade as Bott's worst move, especially since he chose to tie the two together, saying that the ROR trade made getting Skinner possible. We all know that's not true, but he thinks we're all idiots.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
You may be right, but if this is the case then I'm showing Jack the numbers and telling him what I think is best for the team.

Jack w/ VO this year:
53% GF
46% xGF
48% SCF

Jack w/ Skinner last year:
55% GF
54% xGF
53% SCF

To be honest, I really don't care if Skinner plays with Eichel even though the data shows that it's a more effective 5v5 line. I just want our top 4 offensive options (Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Olofsson) maximized by splitting them into pairs.
If the coach and GM were on the same page, that likely would happen. Botts talked all summer about giving Reinhart a chance to drive a line. The fact that Ralph has ridden Eichel and Reinhart together all year really shows the disconnect even more. They've literally spent half of a game apart this year, that's just ridiculous. The lack of trying different mixes in the top 6 is an indictment on Ralph, and Botts of course.

The other side of this, is why not use the $9M player and maximize that contract with your best player? They should have used this year to see if Reinhart could drive his own line and truly earn a big contract. Instead they put two RFAs with our best player, which is going to juice up their counting stats and cost us more against the cap next year. It's plain stupid asset management all around.

Reactions: sabremike

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Ralph looking down the bench at Skinner in the third period
giphy.webp

Reactions: Chainshot

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Olofsson: 726.3 ES Minutes this year
Skinner: 1264.9 ES Minutes last year

Sure, Skinner scored at a better rate than Olofsson last year.

But Eichel's shooting % is also up from 9.2% to 16.5%, so there's a lot less rebounds from Eichel shots, which Skinner feasted on last year.

Given how good Eichel has been this year, I'd let him have whoever he wants as his line mates. If he produces like this with Olofsson, for the love of god let him have Olofsson.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Olofsson: 726.3 ES Minutes this year
Skinner: 1264.9 ES Minutes last year

Sure, Skinner scored at a better rate than Olofsson last year.

But Eichel's shooting % is also up from 9.2% to 16.5%, so there's a lot less rebounds from Eichel shots, which Skinner feasted on last year.

Given how good Eichel has been this year, I'd let him have whoever he wants as his line mates. If he produces like this with Olofsson, for the love of god let him have Olofsson.
Who uses % of minutes played anyways? As soon as he combines that with counting stats he reveals the obvious straw man of his argument. Olofsson and Jack are good together. Skinner has the capability of carrying the mail on his own line. He's already proven it. Let Skin-dog work through it.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

C'mon Jeff, much like when someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes...

When someone asks you "which player on the team... [insert any other words here]?"
unless you want all of twitter on your ass YOU SAY JACK EICHEL!

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
I'm not worried about Skins . I'm more concerned about getting a legitimate number two centreman
to help set up whoever is on the LW . No matter what , I expect to see Jeff and Jack playing together more than last year .

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm not worried about Skins . I'm more concerned about getting a legitimate number two centreman
to help set up whoever is on the LW . No matter what , I expect to see Jeff and Jack playing together more than last year .

from injuries, poor line mates, a statistically unlucky stretch where he looked good, and a bad stretch by him without an opportunity at the end of the year to have a good stretch.

not worried either.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
If a reduced cap is accompanied by compliance buyout(s) does Skinner get the axe?
Yes if he shows any willingness to wield his NTC. Even at that bloated deal there are still teams where assuming that risk is the only opportunity to add someone with his talent.

Ralph is calling the shots and isn’t willing to pull the levers that will increase Skinner’s production, and 53 isn’t going to change the style of play that got him this far already.

We’re pretty much at an impasse there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad