Proposal: Jeff Skinner for Erik Karlsson

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Sabres say no. If there's a contract worse than Skinner's, it's Erik Karlsson's

Sabres also need to re-sign Dahlin, Reinhart, and Jokiharju this year. Can't afford to give up the extra cap space

Also, the Sabres are overloaded on RD (they even played Montour at forward last year because they had too many RD), so adding another RD would be exceptionally stupid

Reactions: north49er

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sabres say no. If there's a contract worse than Skinner's, it's Erik Karlsson's

Sabres also need to re-sign Dahlin, Reinhart, and Jokiharju this year. Can't afford to give up the extra cap space

Also, the Sabres are overloaded on RD (they even played Montour at forward last year because they had too many RD), so adding another RD would be exceptionally stupid

Pass. Why would Sabres take on more salary for another RHD? Some of ours are injured, but that's not reason to take on an albatross of a contract that doesn't meet any long term needs.

Just throwing it out there.

It's also easier to move your surplus RD than it is Jeff Skinner if it came to that.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Just throwing it out there.

It's also easier to move your surplus RD than it is Jeff Skinner if it came to that.

It's certainly easier to move excess RD than Skinner, but it'll be exponentially more difficult to try and get rid of EK's $11.5 million contract than it would Skinner's $9 million contract

The trade fundamentally doesn't make sense for the Sabres on multiple levels

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
As a kings fan I do not want the Sharks to do this so that likely means it favors them and Buffalo would say no

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Erik Karlsson has problems but is still a good player. Hes about 5 mil overpayed. If your team was paying Skinner 4 mil, you would still wish you didnt have him.

I get the point - however I'd take either one at 50%.

Interesting that so far, both fan bases want nothing to do with the others' player...and frankly all I expected to learn from the thread. No skin in the game.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Eric Karlsson is still an elite player who plays 26-30 min a night Jeff Skinner is barley a AHL caliber player. Any team in the nhl takes Karlsson at 6 million. No one takes Skinner at 3
A ridiculous take. SJ wouldn’t make this deal but saying no one in the league would take Skinner at $3 million is ridiculous. He is being handled terribly in Buffalo and not producing but put him in a top 6 and just ask for goals and Skinner can still pot 20-25.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I get the point - however I'd take either one at 50%.

Interesting that so far, both fan bases want nothing to do with the others' player...and frankly all I expected to learn from the thread. No skin in the game.
The issue is that for the Sabres, EK plays the position they’re probably deepest at, even if he’s better than some of the players, it doesn’t matter because they don’t need a more expensive contract at RD. For the Sharks EK has shown promise and while I’d take Skinner he’s overpaid by a lot and there’s no reason for us to send a useful player for a non useful player.

Reactions: themelkman

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Eric Karlsson is still an elite player who plays 26-30 min a night Jeff Skinner is barley a AHL caliber player. Any team in the nhl takes Karlsson at 6 million. No one takes Skinner at 3

iu

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
SJS doesn't even respond.

Skinner has been scratched on a team that can't score. EK might not be scoring, but adding some value.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You want Vlasic for Skinner, we can talk. But while Karlsson’s contract is bad at least he’s still a solid player and can be a game-changer on any given night. Skinner is straight up awful.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
SJS doesn't even respond.

Skinner has been scratched on a team that can't score. EK might not be scoring, but adding some value.

That speaks more about Buffalo's coaching and management than Skinner, who has been blacklisted by them.

Given that Karlsson is playing the way he is under a (seemingly) competent coach and on a balanced team his play is much more concerning

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Karl
That speaks more about Buffalo's coaching and management than Skinner, who has been blacklisted by them.

Given that Karlsson is playing the way he is under a (seemingly) competent coach and on a balanced team his play is much more concerning
Karlsson has been playing fine the last 4 or 5 games and was/is trending in the right direction. The contract is terrible because hes now injury prone but I would rather have him putting up 40-60 points or on LTIR than Skinner getting scratched

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Wait.... San Jose is balanced and BB is competent now?

Does Karlsson play on your 4th líne? Is Joe Thornton on the Leafs outscoring your entire top line? Then you have more of a hockey organization than the one with this guy behind the bench

41C7qO6C8RL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: Gecklund

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Karl

Karlsson has been playing fine the last 4 or 5 games and was/is trending in the right direction. The contract is terrible because hes now injury prone but I would rather have him putting up 40-60 points or on LTIR than Skinner getting scratched

I'll take your word on Karlsson but he seemed checked out from hockey or close to it the times I've seen him. With what he's been through it's somewhat understandable if that were the case too. Skinner would be on your second line though if your coach has any brains. He's basically the 5.5-6 million dollar one dimensional goal scorer he's always been

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's a 50/50 chance Erik Karlsson can become a top level D again (not just a #1D, but i mean top among league's best). If you think 50/50 is too much - let's say a 25% chance. Or even 20% chance.

If I'm the Sharks - i don't do this. you know Skinner is bad. At least with EK there's a chance he gets elite again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad