Injury Report: Jeff Skinner confirmed with concussion

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He's listed as day to day?

At least he can still skate in a straight line.

Get well and come back soon Jeff!

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Nuclear-explosion.jpg

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Not good news.

Do you guys think he can alter his style of play to make himself less prone to head injuuries?

He got nailed twice in the leafs games (Once by Fraser and the other time where he turned late when a guy was hitting him) where it seems like he put himself in a positon to get creamed.

Beardy*

Don't expect to see him for about a month... And now we have to worry that his career is in jeopardy...

You don't get 2 concussions before 21 in this league and have a long career... Could very well be Shane Willis 2.0

ramp23

Oct 14, 2010
Crosby missed almost a year and came back pretty strong. Maybe Skinner can too!

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
People thought I was trolling when I suggested trading Skinner and I wasn't. He is a concussion waiting to happen with the way he plays. It's going to happen over and over again unless he stops skating around with his head down and turning into hits to try to draw penalties.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
People thought I was trolling when I suggested trading Skinner and I wasn't. He is a concussion waiting to happen with the way he plays. It's going to happen over and over again unless he stops skating around with his head down and turning into hits to try to draw penalties.

agreed. Course you can't trade him now and it's not like you could replace what he does right away but I'd seriously consider it if the offer was right.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

I'll agree with you only if you post another video of you stroking your cat.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Don't know if its worth freaking out for yet. Today a headache is a concussion, so it's really tough to say how bad it is. If it is bad, and a trend for him, then you're left with questioning playing an 18 year old kid in the nhl, regardless of his skill level and the teams lack of it.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Don't know if its worth freaking out for yet. Today a headache is a concussion, so it's really tough to say how bad it is. If it is bad, and a trend for him, then you're left with questioning playing an 18 year old kid in the nhl, regardless of his skill level and the teams lack of it.

Yeah because an 18 year old Kitchner Ranger Carolina Hurricanes first round pick could never get a severe concussion in the OHL, right?:sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ouch. Fair enough! Still though, we've always rushed kids we wanted and its become quite the trend across the league. Rnh is built like a little baby bird. Hall has his problems as well. Just two easy obvious targets, I just don't think they should be rushed overall, never have. He went from skating backwards through juniors to skating into elbows here. It's like sutter to some extent. Took him some time to figure out what works and what gets you killed. You hope he emerges in one piece on the other side.

I'd add Murphy plays a position that makes it easier to get smoked when you try to carry the puck all day.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Lately it just seems to be a problem across the leauge. Tarasenko looks to have gotten another concussion last night. Supposedly he had one while playing in the KHL during the lock out. So that's 2 for him in less than a year.

Until guys start respecting each other and not aim for the head or stop plowing into guys while they are in vulnerable positions, concussions are going to be a major problem in the league.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder how much of it is that there is just more awareness of concussions now. Guys many times used to write it off as "got my bell wrung", but now (and rightfully so given the long term ramifications), teams and players are proceeding with much more caution.

Even a few years ago, look at Aaron Ward. He was definitely concussed in the 06 SC Finals, but refused to stay out because he knew he'd have to take a baseline test and wouldn't be able to play.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I wonder how much of it is that there is just more awareness of concussions now. Guys many times used to write it off as "got my bell wrung", but now (and rightfully so given the long term ramifications), teams and players are proceeding with much more caution.

Even a few years ago, look at Aaron Ward. He was definitely concussed in the 06 SC Finals, but refused to stay out because he knew he'd have to take a baseline test and wouldn't be able to play.

Without a doubt the awareness and testing has increased the number of reported occurrences. Of course, the guys who had their careers shortened/dulled because of them remains the same, and obviously that's where the true concern for Skinner comes in.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
See, I don't want the game changed to the point where their is no hits in the league. If you have to get the guys to sign a waiver that's fine with me but lets not take clean hits out of the game.

I'm all for trying to limit boarding plays and head shots should be suspendable every time.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't really see it as a lack f respect, and I definitely think that it's rare a head is actually "targeted". Everything is a penalty these days, and the young players grow up leading with their heads, turning into space they haven't cleared, and showing their numbers along the boards. Used to be if you did that you deserved to get railed. The current generation thinks its ok to do it because they'll draw penalties, and everyone hates on the guy who hit them. They also lack the awareness one develops when they assume someone is about to deck them at all times.

Messier whn promoting his helmet was asked what the difference was these days, he flat out said it. "These guys show their numbers and turn into traffic when they shouldnt, it's why guys are getting hurt". Longevity starts with self preservation, not screaming at the ref every time you fall down cause the d didn't buy your move. Then people super slo mo it and dissect it to "see! He turned his elbow two degrees that way right there! Intent to injure! He aimed for his head!". Ugh. Played years of check hockey, I know I never thought the game to the level these guys do but I just don't see that anyone has time on most of these 50/50 hits like the tarasenko one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad