Injury Report: Jeff Skinner confirmed with concussion

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As a medic I've spoken to a few trainers, and they all say that even a headache is considered a concussion these days. I doubt we have that many more concussions. They all get reported now, and what was before just getting your bell rung is a concussion.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As a medic I've spoken to a few trainers, and they all say that even a headache is considered a concussion these days. I doubt we have that many more concussions. They all get reported now, and what was before just getting your bell rung is a concussion.

That's a huge part of it. As someone that grew up playing high level soccer throughout the 90s, I guarantee that I had at least a half dozen undiagnosed concussions throughout my career since they were relatively low grade and didn't impair my functionality all that much. They aren't taking any chances with that stuff anymore, and they're looking for anything that might indicate it right now with the diagnosis.

Not that they're wrong about it, this isn't exactly like the craze of diagnosing basically every boy with ADD and giving them ritalin like it was when I was a kid.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was nothing even remotely illegal, disrespectful or malicious about either of the hits that turned Skinner into a rag doll the other night. My point is that there are simply no rule changes that will eliminate concussions from contact/collision sports, no matter how much attention we give the issue.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was nothing even remotely illegal, disrespectful or malicious about either of the hits that turned Skinner into a rag doll the other night. My point is that there are simply no rule changes that will eliminate concussions from contact/collision sports, no matter how much attention we give the issue.

Yeah I don't think there was either, definitely not under NHL rules. Under IIHF rules they'd be questionable hits but I'm not sure either of those gets called. Biggest issue is the helmet technology currently in use and the fact that our ice has been garbage since Donnie Mac died.

Seriously, how is this helmet not under wider use?
http://themessierproject.com/the-helmet.html

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The helmet is only going to help in incremental amounts. Look at how many concussions occur in the NFL, and they have a Volvo around each player's head in comparison to the NHL's Yugo.

I've been saying it about the NFL for 4 years now: you want to eliminate head injuries in football? take their helmets away from them. That'll stop it in a heartbeat. Not sure that is the case in the NHL because of the boards and ice, but the point is that the helmet only does so much, and sometimes it causes the player to take more risks with their head than they ought to.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The helmet is only going to help in incremental amounts. Look at how many concussions occur in the NFL, and they have a Volvo around each player's head in comparison to the NHL's Yugo.

I've been saying it about the NFL for 4 years now: you want to eliminate head injuries in football? take their helmets away from them. That'll stop it in a heartbeat. Not sure that is the case in the NHL because of the boards and ice, but the point is that the helmet only does so much, and sometimes it causes the player to take more risks with their head than they ought to.

Actually I agree with this. Weird as it is to say, I have a lot more respect for Rugby then I do Football for that reason. The collision speeds are still the same, but these players aren't wearing tank armor when crashing into eachother, and as a result it seems they are more careful about how they hit a player.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I have a lot more respect for Rugby then I do Football for that reason.

Well, I have more respect for rugby for more reasons than just that, but...

Yeah, it was after a visit to Australia that I formed this opinion, having watched some intense rugby games down there.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
The helmet will always be a requirement for hockey. In football, the only dangerous thing you'll hit is another 200+ pound person wearing 20 pounds of plastic and fiberglass! In hockey, the ice and boards/glass present a very unique danger. Helmet design has a LOT of room for improvement. There are already much safer helmets out there. But you'll never convince most guys to wear them. Hockey players are VERY concerned with how they look, AND how they are seen by their peers. See helmets during warmups as a prime example! Unless the league steps up and says you WILL wear these new helmets, it will take many years to get players switched. It starts by requiring new players to wear them, grandfathering veteran players and their old style helmets in until they retire. Just like what happened with the old Jofa style helmets, visors, etc. I'm still surprised that the players union has fought to keep visors from being mandatory.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
agreed. Course you can't trade him now and it's not like you could replace what he does right away but I'd seriously consider it if the offer was right.

So do I think that Skinner should be traded and have said so. I like him alot. Great skillful player no doubt, but I just really think the team may be able to use him to get some needed returns. That said, he is definately a terrific 2nd liner, or 1st. If not, keep him of course. Other teams may be a bit leary, but he is still very young. If people think TLUSTY is so good (I've seen him miss clear set ups), put him on the 2nd line and try Skinner up on the 1st. when healthy again. Semin can set up him and EStaal. Both are finishing goal scorers. Just a thought. P****s me off when guys whiff a good set up. I know they all do. Just sayin.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
hey guys, I'm just wondering what the outlook for skinner is. <2Weeks, month, longer?

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
So do I think that Skinner should be traded and have said so. I like him alot. Great skillful player no doubt, but I just really think the team may be able to use him to get some needed returns. That said, he is definately a terrific 2nd liner, or 1st. If not, keep him of course. Other teams may be a bit leary, but he is still very young. If people think TLUSTY is so good (I've seen him miss clear set ups), put him on the 2nd line and try Skinner up on the 1st. when healthy again. Semin can set up him and EStaal. Both are finishing goal scorers. Just a thought. P****s me off when guys whiff a good set up. I know they all do. Just sayin.

EStaal and Skinner hate each other :sarcasm:

Seriously, they don't play well together.

His skillset, skating is probably the best on the team and being so young, Skinner should only get better but not if he keeps getting concussions and turns into mini Lindros.

Now, they would need him to play to raise his value but you could get a high number one pick for him and a good player back.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
The helmet will always be a requirement for hockey. In football, the only dangerous thing you'll hit is another 200+ pound person wearing 20 pounds of plastic and fiberglass! In hockey, the ice and boards/glass present a very unique danger. Helmet design has a LOT of room for improvement. There are already much safer helmets out there. But you'll never convince most guys to wear them. Hockey players are VERY concerned with how they look, AND how they are seen by their peers. See helmets during warmups as a prime example! Unless the league steps up and says you WILL wear these new helmets, it will take many years to get players switched. It starts by requiring new players to wear them, grandfathering veteran players and their old style helmets in until they retire. Just like what happened with the old Jofa style helmets, visors, etc. I'm still surprised that the players union has fought to keep visors from being mandatory.

Agreed. State of the art helmets and visors should be mandatory. And, every time you are on the ice. Practise, warmup, every time. I wonder if there could be some sort of neck brace thing developed. Of course there could. Something that works but doesn't impede. Nascar did and it saved lives.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I remember that AWard and Gelinas wore those "Kazoo" Nike helmets...it's not like *none* of them will allow themselves to look silly in the pursuit of safety.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Mind you, this GM said 2 days ago that "Skinner does not have a concussion".

According to Canes Country,

It's important to note that officials of the team are saying that Skinner suffered no symptoms during the game or the next day as he participated in a team practice and the Hurricanes Skate with the Canes fan event Friday night. But apparently things got worse the next day, and Skinner was unable to practice with the team on Sunday or make the trip to Montreal.

So they were being truthful, but as some symptoms emerged later, they had him reevaluated and the diagnosis changed.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Wasn't it it Don Beebe that wore that double padded helmet in the NFL?

No. Mark Kelso was the Great Gazoo.

mark-kelsos-head-was-used-for-helmet-storage_zps3046da0b.jpg

edit: Steve Kelso? Lol. Let's try Mark instead.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Several players in the NFL have worn the double layered helmet. That soft outer shell is probably very effective at reducing trauma.

I still think the NHL needs to take ALL of the plastic, fiberglass, composite weave materials worn above waist level, out of the game. I don't think ANY player should be wearing hard armor on any part of their body higher than the "cup", except for a helmet. Shinpads, of course, but elbow and shoulder pads should be closed cell foam or some type of soft rubber. Taking the huge, hard caps off the shoulders and elbows would go a LONG ways to reducing injuries in my opinion. About the only place I'd allow hard cap, is over the heart/sternum.

There are a LOT of fairly easy ways to change the equipment without changing the game, but like I said, players are VERY reluctant to be early adopters.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Yeah..

Signs and symptoms of a concussion
▸ Physical

 – Headache
 – Nausea
 – Vomiting
 – Balance problems
 – Dizziness
 – Visual problems
 – Fatigue
 – Sensitivity to light
 – Sensitivity to noise
 – Numbness/tingling
 – Dazed
 – Stunned

▸ Cognitive

 – Feeling mentally ‘foggy’
 – Feeling slowed down
 – Difficulty concentrating
 – Difficulty remembering
 – Forgetful of recent information and conversations
 – Confused about recent events
 – Answers questions slowly
 – Repeats questions

▸ Emotional

 – Irritable
 – Sadness
 – More emotional
 – Nervousness

▸ Sleep

 – Drowsiness
 – Sleep more than usual
 – Sleep less than usual
 – Difficulty falling asleep

I have apparently had concussion for the last 15 years, then.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The problem with the NHL is the variety of trauma that the gear has to protect against. There's the body to body damage, but also pucks to body, sticks, smashing into the boards, skate blades...etc...all while playing a game that requires a lot of mobility.

Seems like a tough riddle to solve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->