Value of: Jeff Skinner at the TDL

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Assuming BUF is out of contention and is looking to trade Skinner at the TDL.

What teams need a LW? I'm sure someone would cough up a 1st rounder if he's producing at a good pace.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The only thing stopping the potential chance of getting a first round pick is I think their is going to be alot of competition for players available(Duchene, Stone, Eberle, Lee, etc)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Considering what Carolina got for him, I think Skinner is pretty picky about where he ends up. Teams will definitely keep that in mind and he won't bring a ton

Yup. His full NMC is still in effect I believe so he’s going to get to choose his landing spot. Now having said that Skinner has never played postseason hockey so maybe he is chomping at the bit and is OK going anywhere for a run at the end of the year but it’s certainly not a given.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think he blocks almost any move. He was very particular about his destination when the Canes traded him, I don't think that changes...he supposedly would only go to Buffalo or Toronto.

I can't see him agreeing to go anywhere but TML, I can't see Toronto trading for him (they have greater needs), and I think they know they're bidding only against themselves so wouldn't overpay.

I don't think he gets more than a conditional 1st or a 2nd and a B-spec...essentially what Buffalo paid.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I disagree on him blocking a move, although I have ZERO insight and was 100% wrong on him waiving to go to Buffalo. :laugh:

If the Sabres are out of it and has no intentions of re-signing Skinner, I could see him waiving to go to a playoff team as a rental. He's an extremely competitive guy who has never been to the NHL playoffs. Going to another team for a couple of months isn't the same as when the Canes moved him IMO.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He will not block a move if buffalo is out of the playoffs.

I see buffalo seeing how he is doing then talk in January on an extension if they want to keep him. If they are far apart (assuming buffalo wants to keep him) then they ask him about being traded to a playoff team.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yup. His full NMC is still in effect I believe so he’s going to get to choose his landing spot. Now having said that Skinner has never played postseason hockey so maybe he is chomping at the bit and is OK going anywhere for a run at the end of the year but it’s certainly not a given.

Sabres beat writer for The Athletic has said he was 99% sure the NMC clause was gone with trade.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
It’s 2 games I toseason and people worry about trade deadline and even better, who needs a LW. I haven’t heard of any massive season ending injuries yet. Couldn’t this wait until let’s say Christmas?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think at most he gets what Kane brought back last year, but he’ll have to have a very good season to get there. I think what he’s worth is a step down from Kane, who brings a much higher physical level with similar numbers. Kane was also having an inspired season so I think it’s unlikely Skinner brings the same back even in a good season.

I’d guess a second and a decent prospect. If he also has an inspired season a late first and very little else. If he has a meh season a second and meh prospect.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It’s 2 games I toseason and people worry about trade deadline and even better, who needs a LW. I haven’t heard of any massive season ending injuries yet. Couldn’t this wait until let’s say Christmas?

It's a hypothetical what if from different scenarios which this section of the board is for.

Seriously why do people even bother if they don't want to participate?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sabres beat writer for The Athletic has said he was 99% sure the NMC clause was gone with trade.
What a lazy beat writer. Is it that hard to talk to Botterill to confirm? My understanding about NMC/NTC clauses for guys who are into their UFA ages, is that anyone with one, it does NOT automatically continue on with you if you get traded, unless the acquiring team signs an amendment to acknowledge that they will honour it. For a player who has such a clause, I would bet that they would insist that the acquiring team honour the clause otherwise he won't waive his NTC/NMC to go to that team. Thus, the vast majority of guys with such clauses keep them onto their new team. See, Phaneuf, Kessel, etc. The guys running cap friendly have him listed with a NMC.

Only the RFA guys like Subban, if they get dealt before the clause kicks in, can the acquiring team opt not to honour it, which the Preds choose not to.

Who knows what Skinner will or will not do.

Pros of waiving - get playoff experience. Possibly improve your stock
Cons of waiving - have a poor playoff or get hurt when the intensity picks up, thus damaging what you can get in the new contract.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
If he doesn't have a young family he'll waive to go to any cup contender for a few months. I think people underestimate these guys desire to win the cup. That's why they all play the game in the first place

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You think he'll bring back more than Kane did?

If he has something like 40+ points in late January he returns a 1st + with retained salary. If it’s a 2nd then a really good prospect comes back with the 2nd having conditions of it turning to a 1st based on playoff advancement or resigning in 2020. Likely 2020 based on what San Jose and St. Louis picks look like. They would rather have 3-2 spread vs a 1-4 spread of 1sts between 19 and 20.

Kane and Skinner are similar production but Skinner doesn’t have the problem child rep Kane had that hurt his value.

I think Skinner resigning cost would be $7M or more. A shorter 4 yr contract likely higher cap hit than a 6 yr contract.

Reactions: DaveG

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I hope we keep him. He is just magical with the puck in the o-zone, his footwork creates so much space for himself and he's a tenacious little dude.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If he has something like 40+ points in late January he returns a 1st + with retained salary. If it’s a 2nd then a really good prospect comes back with the 2nd having conditions of it turning to a 1st based on playoff advancement or resigning in 2020. Likely 2020 based on what San Jose and St. Louis picks look like. They would rather have 3-2 spread vs a 1-4 spread of 1sts between 19 and 20.

Kane and Skinner are similar production but Skinner doesn’t have the problem child rep Kane had that hurt his value.

I think Skinner resigning cost would be $7M or more. A shorter 4 yr contract likely higher cap hit than a 6 yr contract.
And Skinner has the rep of being so bad defensively he couldnt get past the third line under Peters. Kane plays a north/south style with aggressiveness while Skinner flies solo doing his own thing all game. If you lined them up against each other and had to choose one for one game almost every coach and gm would take Kane over Skinner - and I'm a huge Skinner fan.

I don't see a situation where Skinner brings back more than Kane did. Personally while Skinner should've brought back one of those firsts he did bring back a decent haul that isn't that far behind what Kane brought. To me it's a safe bet that Skinner unless he has an amazing season or flat out sucks will bring back something between what the Canes got and what the Sabres got back from Kane.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

We've beaten this to death, but never seen a trade where that is the case, so until I do, I don't believe that writer. I'm not talking about a guy where the NMC is not yet in effect so don't use that as an example.

In the end though, I don't think it matters. If the Sabres are not in the playoff hunt and are not looking to re-sign Skinner, the NMC won't be an issue IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad