Value of: Jeff Skinner at the TDL

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I can see him being a lot pickier about where he plays a full season potentially vs where he plays post trade deadline as that might only be 2 months before he is a ufa and has his pick of teams as i imagine roughly 20 would be interested in giving him a decent payday. I don't know him personally so who the f*** knows but as has been stated if he has a chance at a legit contender and might only have to spend 4 months with a team to get his name on a cup i imagine he jumps at it. Also i am a firm believer any contract with a full nmc on the final year is a bad contract regardless of cap hit or how the player is producing.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Sabres should really be trying to get him under contract
I imagine they are going to wait until at least January before having long term contract talks with him. Imagine signing him for 8 years and he isn;t clicking and start declining instantly because of it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That would have to be up to skinner I believe so it's probably still there. I think teams can only choose to void them if the player is traded before they start

No Skinner gave up his NMC to be traded. it does not automatically carry. I'm not sure why this is thought. There is a scenario where he waived the clause and part of the agreement included Sabres reinstalling it. There are no stories saying the Sabres did this but plenty of stories indicating he waived it. The guy who COVERS the team says he no longer has a NMC clause.

I'm not even sure why the Sabres would have agreed to the trade unless they thought they could sign him or trade him again. They are not a clear playoff team. Maybe if Tim Murray was still GM. He's the guy who traded away a third to talk to Vesey first.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There’s never been a definitive answer on this issue so I don’t know why either side would act like it’s for sure in either direction.

I think it’s safe to say he’d consider moving at the deadline to go to the playoffs. Not a for sure thing but realistic enough to have the conversation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No Skinner gave up his NMC to be traded. it does not automatically carry. I'm not sure why this is thought. There is a scenario where he waived the clause and part of the agreement included Sabres reinstalling it. There are no stories saying the Sabres did this but plenty of stories indicating he waived it. The guy who COVERS the team says he no longer has a NMC clause.

I'm not even sure why the Sabres would have agreed to the trade unless they thought they could sign him or trade him again. They are not a clear playoff team. Maybe if Tim Murray was still GM. He's the guy who traded away a third to talk to Vesey first.
It really should not be a mystery if he has it still or not. Generally speaking guys who have hat clause keep it when they get traded, one of the conditions that they make when they waive it to be dealt.

Kesler asked for a trade from Vancouver and when you look on cap friendly for his prior contract at $5 million cap hit the ntc is listed for his 2 years in Anaheim.

Was skinner desparately trying to get out of Carolina? Unless he was, I highly doubt he would waive his nmc in order to go to Buffalo unless the clause went with him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Was skinner desparately trying to get out of Carolina? Unless he was, I highly doubt he would waive his nmc in order to go to Buffalo unless the clause went with him.

Carolina with internal cap likely lower than real cap didn’t see themselves resigning Skinner given resigning Aho next year and other forwards in a few tears. They didn’t want the rumors following the team and being a distraction.

Buffalo traded a 2nd, a 3rd, and Pu(hi 3rd srstung ELC)

2 3rd =2nd. And 2 2nds = late 1st

Buffalo has half a season to see how he does before deciding to resign or trade

If he blocks a trade to a playoff team for a team who was out of the playoffs hurts his open market value.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Carolina with internal cap likely lower than real cap didn’t see themselves resigning Skinner given resigning Aho next year and other forwards in a few tears. They didn’t want the rumors following the team and being a distraction.

Buffalo traded a 2nd, a 3rd, and Pu(hi 3rd srstung ELC)

2 3rd =2nd. And 2 2nds = late 1st

Buffalo has half a season to see how he does before deciding to resign or trade

If he blocks a trade to a playoff team for a team who was out of the playoffs hurts his open market value.

I don't think that's how the free market works.

Come July 1 teams are going to say "Does this guy make us better?" and will offer him $$$ whether he refused a trade or not.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Remember, since the last lockout, the average number of 1st round picks moved for rentals at the deadline is just 2.5, conditional selections included. The max in that range was 4 in 2013 (Iginla, Jagr and Miller x 2.) When it comes to surrendering those picks, GMs have shown a preference for centers (Vermette, Hanzal, Stastny), defensemen (Sekera, Franson, Russell, Shattenkirk) and wingers with intangibles (Ladd, Eaves, Kane, Nash.)

Skinner, a pure skill winger, is behind the curve already. Now, think about the potential competition Buffalo will face in getting one of those picks. Duchene, the center, is a guarantee for a first. Same goes for the two-way winger Stone. Hayes is a good bet. Edler is easily the best 2019 UFA on a projected non-playoff team. Lee will get preference give his net-front game. Skinner will also have competition from other skill wingers like Eberle and Zuccarello. If a more average team like Columbus or Minnesota stumbles, you can add Panarin, a superior skill player, Staal, a center, and Bobrovsky to the names ahead of him as well.

If the supply contracts or Skinner has an insane season statistically, I can buy a 1st at the deadline. However, at this point, I don't see it.

Reactions: MinJaBen

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Uh if Evander Kane brought back a 1st so will Skinner. Though I'd rather keep him. Even without being on the score sheet he has been fantastic. Would love to give him 7 x 6.5

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If he doesn't have a young family he'll waive to go to any cup contender for a few months. I think people underestimate these guys desire to win the cup. That's why they all play the game in the first place

Then why the hell didnt he agree to get traded to one of those teams in the first place??

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Uh if Evander Kane brought back a 1st so will Skinner. Though I'd rather keep him. Even without being on the score sheet he has been fantastic. Would love to give him 7 x 6.5
After the Kane and JVR contracts he probably won’t sign for less than 7 unless he has a bad year.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I really don’t want to even think about trading Skinner yet. We’ve had him for a whole 3 games...

And he has looked pretty damn good. That game against the NYR he was unreal. Like Housley said after the game, he looked possessed. Kid was all over the ice. Even seen him backcheckinf and stripping pucks.

Lets hope the Sabres sign him and we don’t have to worry about any potential trade deadline deals.

Lets also hope the Sabres are actually in the mix for a wildcard spot and we don’t even have to think about selling off players for the umpteenth time in recent years...

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I really don’t want to even think about trading Skinner yet. We’ve had him for a whole 3 games...

And he has looked pretty damn good. That game against the NYR he was unreal. Like Housley said after the game, he looked possessed. Kid was all over the ice. Even seen him backcheckinf and stripping pucks.

Lets hope the Sabres sign him and we don’t have to worry about any potential trade deadline deals.

Lets also hope the Sabres are actually in the mix for a wildcard spot and we don’t even have to think about selling off players for the umpteenth time in recent years...

An engaged Skinner is one of the most dangerous players in the league. His '16-'17 season was awesome to watch, he was exactly as you described against NYR almost the entire season. The problem is when he disengages, starts cherry picking and gets tunnel vision. I hope he keeps it up. Err... I mean... f*** the Sabers!

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
An engaged Skinner is one of the most dangerous players in the league. His '16-'17 season was awesome to watch, he was exactly as you described against NYR almost the entire season. The problem is when he disengages, starts cherry picking and gets tunnel vision. I hope he keeps it up. Err... I mean... **** the Sabres!

Yeah, he can be Patrick Kane light when he is on his game. Wizard with the puck, incredibly elusive skating, laser of a shot, and a takeaway machine.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's been really good for Buffalo so far, especially games 2 + 3 after being separated from Eichel and given his own line to drive. I hope we can keep him, but, if it comes to a deadline trade, I figure he's worth a 1st + a B/C prospect + maybe a conditional pick (based on re-signing).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why would Skinner leave? That'a good young team on the rise. Where is he finding a better situation? Unless Buffalo nickel and dimes on his next contract, Skinner should stay there.

Reactions: Berserk

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He's been really good for Buffalo so far, especially games 2 + 3 after being separated from Eichel and given his own line to drive. I hope we can keep him, but, if it comes to a deadline trade, I figure he's worth a 1st + a B/C prospect + maybe a conditional pick (based on re-signing).

He kind of needs his own line. He doesn't really work well with others. He needs linemates that can create space for him and retrieve pucks and be defensively responsible. He doesn't like riding shotgun and having to anticipate plays.

Why would Skinner leave? That'a good young team on the rise. Where is he finding a better situation? Unless Buffalo nickel and dimes on his next contract, Skinner should stay there.

He probably will, unless like you said, they nickel and dime him. He wants to be close to the GTA and I don't see Toronto being interested/having the cap space to do it. I guess MTL, Detroit or Ottawa could be destinations but unlikely as those teams aren't in the right place of their rebuilds to go out and sign someone like him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The issue in Buffalo is money and cap space going forward.

in 2019 they currently have
$24.5M in space+ cap raise with 0/6/1 under contract
G--Ullmark $1M
D (8)--McCabe $3M, ELC Dman(Pilut, Guhle)
F(13)-currently 9 under contract--Rodrigues ($2.5M),Girgensons ($2.5M), ELC/Bridge($1M) +Dkinner

so about $11M +skinner so they have $13.5M+ cap space to easily afford him.

looking ahead they have 3 potentially large contracts in Reinhart, Dahlin, and Mitts to sign with $20M in contracts coming off in 2020. hopefully they can entice Seattle to take Okposo in the expansion draft.

They can resign him but ideally it would be better if they could sign him higher for a 4 -5 yr contract then 6 or 7 yrs. The idea being Nylander would they take his high cap hit at the end of the contract.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think he blocks almost any move. He was very particular about his destination when the Canes traded him, I don't think that changes...he supposedly would only go to Buffalo or Toronto.

I can't see him agreeing to go anywhere but TML, I can't see Toronto trading for him (they have greater needs), and I think they know they're bidding only against themselves so wouldn't overpay.

I don't think he gets more than a conditional 1st or a 2nd and a B-spec...essentially what Buffalo paid.

Why would Skinner block a move to play in the playoffs... he still gets his UFA status at the end of the year.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why would Skinner block a move to play in the playoffs... he still gets his UFA status at the end of the year.

Because the dude signed a NMC for a reason. Players who do that tend to be pretty picky about where they want to play even in the short term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->