Confirmed with Link: Jeff Schultz re-signed

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
We were told we'd be sorry for putting him on the ice, but he did his job admirably and got us through Anaheim. From what little we've seen of him, he is quality depth on the blue line and I'm happy to have him back on the cheap.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
It's a win for Schultz, he earns another contract with multiple year stability, will get playing time in either Manchester or with the Kings, and he either makes one of the best teams in the league or he is subjected to waivers where someone else might pick him up this time, or he can prove himself in the minors and earn another deal. He is valuable because he can step in when needed and we aren't afraid to lose him.

Plus, he will probably get his name on the Cup ...

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Works for me, he did exactly as he was expected and clearly has no problem sticking it out in Manchester and waiting for his opportunity. He's probably a lot happier with 2 years 850k than last years 1 year 700k, and also makes it a little easier to get him through waivers.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Tip of the cap to ownership here. For paying $850,000 to a guy who will likely play in Manchester all season. Where guys are getting payed $60,000. Oh, the power winning of the cup! :nod:

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
yeah great - been rewarded for not only his good play in Manchester and the playoffs but obviously his attitude etc. Good professional. Still be surprised if he isn't picked up elsewhere

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think he signed for 2 years without there being at least assurances that he'll be given a chance to stay on the NHL roster. These are the types of guys you want floating around as your healthy scratches

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
It's remarkable how boring today will shape up for Kings fans.

GBK will have to entertain us while we shine up the cup watching other teams make all the moves trying to catch us.

Or as Mel Brooks once said..."It's good to be the Kings...P*ss boy, wait for the shake.":handclap:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he signed for 2 years without there being at least assurances that he'll be given a chance to stay on the NHL roster. These are the types of guys you want floating around as your healthy scratches

He got a two year deal in part because a team is less likely to claim a guy off waivers if they have to commit to him for a second year after 2014/2015 in October of 2014. Not saying a desperate team wouldn't do it, but it's less likely he gets claimed with a second year added on. McNabb is a guaranteed claim if they try to send him down.

Kingler

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
IMO Schultz will be the 7th dman. Unless McNabb or somebody make a very strong impression out of training camp and make top 6, and push one of the guys down to 7th. I just don't see Kings sitting a 20-some year old in the press box, barring injury, for most of entire season. As we have learned in the past, this is very bad for young player development. Plus the current Kings management doesn't give "freebie" roster spot to young players

This assuming McNabb isn't waiver eligible yet...???

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site

I believe he is, so considering they gave up two solid or better prospects to get him, the only way he doesn't make the team is if he takes things for granted.

(Or if jfont cut blocks him below the knees...again)

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Unless they plan on losing McNabb to waivers or McNabb is an absolute disaster in training camp, there's a great chance Schultz is in Manchester.

Or maybe they trade him in October to a club that can use him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
IMO Schultz will be the 7th dman. Unless McNabb or somebody make a very strong impression out of training camp and make top 6, and push one of the guys down to 7th. I just don't see Kings sitting a 20-some year old in the press box, barring injury, for most of entire season. As we have learned in the past, this is very bad for young player development. Plus the current Kings management doesn't give "freebie" roster spot to young players

McNabb is out of options, he will have to clear waivers.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I think it says a lot about the kind of guy Schultz is that the Kings would want him back on a 2 year deal.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
We were told we'd be sorry for putting him on the ice, but he did his job admirably and got us through Anaheim. From what little we've seen of him, he is quality depth on the blue line and I'm happy to have him back on the cheap.

Exactly how I feel. Schultz really helped fill in a gap during the playoffs. He wasn't an all-star D man but he was solid and did what we needed him to. Imo, he should have his name on the cup. I'm glad to have him back.

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA

This I see. Regehr and Greene have been banged up just this past season. Schultz showed he can step in play within the system. Good signing to have hims as a
7th/8th dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad