Confirmed with Link: Jeff Schultz re-signed

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm fine with it. I imagine it's the same exact role as last season. Break glass in case of emergency in Manchester. He'll clear waivers no problem.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wise move. Should be in Manchester and act as a serviceable #8 guy, just as he was this past season. Hopefully they won't have to rely on him much and the blueline remains stable and healthy.

Muzzin-Doughty
Regehr-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
McNabb

And in Manchester the Kings may likely have this group:

Schultz-Bodnarchuk
Forbort-LoVerde
Roach-Miller
MacDermid-Ebert

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Wise move. Should be in Manchester and act as a serviceable #8 guy, just as he was this past season. Hopefully they won't have to rely on him much and the blueline remains stable and healthy.

Muzzin-Doughty
Regehr-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
McNabb

And in Manchester the Kings may likely have this group:

Schultz-Bodnarchuk
Forbort-LoVerde
Roach-Miller
MacDermid-Ebert

Add Gravel and maybe even Leslie too that group. Could see a few d-men sent to Ontario this year.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looks like quite the crowd on the blueline in Manchester.

And the Kings have made the signing official.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724678

Now that Manchester has 9 good defensemen, they had better get about
5 forwards. Since this time last yr, they no longer have: Kozun, Vey, Toffoli,
Pearson, Deslauriers and perhaps Andreoff. All they have really added
since then is Dowd and Mersch.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Of course training camp will decide who goes where, but I think having 8 D at the NHL level is a waste, so I would think it's McNabb's job to lose. Plus if you keep Schultz at the NHL level, that takes up the roster spot that AHL forwards (Andreoff, not exempt from waivers) and Weal amongst others are trying to make the team for.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Happy to have Schultz back. Not sure he'll make it through waivers again this year. Got to think with how well he played for the Kings last year some bottom feeder would snatch him up.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I wonder if signing him for two years is a way to deter teams from claiming him off waivers? Or possibly Regher is expected to miss the start of the season (I think he had a pretty significant injury in the playoffs)? The last possibility is a trade is coming.

My outside the box/Not gonna happen/But maybe... idea was it would allow them to possibly move Regher and his $3m cap hit. While still having some extra issuance if McNabb or Greene have issues.

The more I think about it. That would mean McNabb would have toplay in the top 4 or having a Marty-Slava pairing. Put that idea back in the box.

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I wonder if signing him for two years is a way to deter teams from claiming him off waivers? Or possibly Regher is expected to miss the start of the season (I think he had a pretty significant injury in the playoffs)? The last possibility is a trade is coming.

Unless RR had surgery no one knows about yet, was he not a healthy scratch in the finals? I use the word healthy loosely, but I would assume he would be ready by Sept.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It's a win for Schultz, he earns another contract with multiple year stability, will get playing time in either Manchester or with the Kings, and he either makes one of the best teams in the league or he is subjected to waivers where someone else might pick him up this time, or he can prove himself in the minors and earn another deal. He is valuable because he can step in when needed and we aren't afraid to lose him.

He will be given a chance to make the Kings NHL roster during training camp. If he doesn’t lock down a spot, he would have to pass through waivers before being sent to the AHL for the start of the 2014-15 season. One other note, by signing a contract for less than $925K, if he does end up in the AHL, his salary cap hit doesn’t stay on the Kings’ NHL books.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

He was ready to go in the SCF, but Sutter didn't want to change the lineup. He also said he felt great when asked about his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad