Jeff Petry

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Yes but when good defensemen make mistakes, it is forgivable because they bring so much good to the table. Petry doesn't bring the good to the table, he just makes brutal giveaways. Petry sucks.

I think you're seeing what you want to see if all you see is him making mistakes.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think it's the opposite.

It's been so long since the Oilers have had a great defenseman that there's some myth going around that great defensemen don't make mistakes.

Great defensemen make mistakes.

Good defensemen make even more mistakes.

Guys... look, I know defensemen make mistakes (I play goal)... everyone makes mistakes. I get it...

But Petry is employed to avoid making the absolute brain-cramp mistakes that lead to goals against. The same way that goalies are employed to avoid giving away a freebie per game.

Actually I should correct that. Petry is employed to provide some offense so that the glaring brain-camp mistake per game that he's always going to make is at least counterbalanced by some offensive contributions.

He's not doing that... hasn't been for some time.

Perhaps... perhaps... he'd do better on a 2nd pairing against weaker comp where his offense can shine. But I just don't know... I wouldn't be selling the farm to resign this guy. If we can get something at the deadline for him, I'd be all for it. How about a former 2nd rounder Dman from a contender that needs help now?

I'm willing to toss and play the next hand.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yep. That's the case for a lot of Oiler fans unfortunately. Petry can make 10 good plays, but if he makes 1 bad one, he played terrible

Perhaps it's confirmation bias, but *his mistakes are the ones where I'm left scratching my head saying wtf just happened to our D structure. We had the numbers back and in position and then bammo... guys running around, open players in the slot. Where the F were our guys?

On the replay?... answer invariably (to the point my wife notices) is that Petry freaked out and botched coverage.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Yep. That's the case for a lot of Oiler fans unfortunately. Petry can make 10 good plays, but if he makes 1 bad one, he played terrible

Yup, everyone remembers the 5 second blip in the game where he made a boneheaded play and forget the other 19:55 he played that night of relatively mistake free hockey.

I'll admit he's prone to errors more then I'd prefer but I'm willing to give him a break with the heavy lifting the Oilers have asked him to do over the past few years.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Here's a new boilerplate for every Oilers player

Fan A: ________ (insert player name here) is over-rated. He screws up a lot and doesn't play with enough intensity.

Fab B: No way! _______ is under-rated! He makes so many smart plays!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Petry is not a cut and dry good player or bad player.

I am a bit disappointed because I thought he would be considerably better now than he is. He started out with so much potential and had a great start to his NHL career.

He is IMO a #4 or #5 D-man right now and for a defenseman is still just entering his prime. In the right situation I could see him eventually being a solid #3, especially if he were to go play in the less physical Eastern Conference.

While still possible it is extremely difficult to imagine Petry ever being a genuine top pairing type or even the primary anchor of the second pairing. I think it would be difficult for Petry to carry any pairing except the bottom pairing.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yup, everyone remembers the 5 second blip in the game where he made a boneheaded play and forget the other 19:55 he played that night of relatively mistake free hockey.

I'll admit he's prone to errors more then I'd prefer but I'm willing to give him a break with the heavy lifting the Oilers have asked him to do over the past few years.

But what good is that 19:55 if he's making the crucial mistake nightly?

There are three pairings. Add it up... you'll start to realize why it feels like we are down by three goals before we even start playing.

If he's one of our better guys, we should be expecting more.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
But what good is that 19:55 if he's making the crucial mistake nightly?

There are three pairings. Add it up... you'll start to realize why it feels like we are down by three goals before we even start playing.

If he's one of our better guys, we should be expecting more.

He isn't making a crucial mistake nightly. He makes some mistakes, but no more than any of our other defensemen.

dobiezeke*

He isn't making a crucial mistake nightly. He makes some mistakes, but no more than any of our other defensemen.

Watch the first period again and tell me that Petry didn't make a crucial mistake. He passed the puck blindedly into the slot more than once which thankfully didn't result in a goal. He stood around looking for someone to cover on two of the goals like he wasn't sure how to play defence.

He is no worse than the rest of the group - but by no means is he a solid top pairing defenceman in this league.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
He is no worse than the rest of the group - but by no means is he a solid top pairing defenceman in this league.

Is anyone claiming he's a solid top pairing defenceman? All I see are people saying he's not as bad as some here proclaim him to be and that he's one of our better defencemen.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Watch the first period again and tell me that Petry didn't make a crucial mistake. He passed the puck blindedly into the slot more than once which thankfully didn't result in a goal. He stood around looking for someone to cover on two of the goals like he wasn't sure how to play defence.

I didn`t say he didn`t tonight, I said he doesn`t nightly. And I stand by that statement.

I also think that Schultz, Nikitin, and Ference make far more mistakes, and more costly ones than Petry. As do our rookies, although I suspect that will change shortly with time. Our only current defenseman who doesn't is Fayne.

I agree that he isn't a legitimate top pairing defenseman, but I don't think I've heard anyone say that he is.

dobiezeke*

Is anyone claiming he's a solid top pairing defenceman? All I see are people saying he's not as bad as some here proclaim him to be and that he's one of our better defencemen.

He has one point this year and provides no offense. He has been a disaster in his own end. He has the second worst plus/minus.

He is as bad as people say. He is the second coming of Tom Gilbert.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another typical Petry night tonight. And by typical I do not mean "solid play for the whole night and then 1 bad mistake" like alot of the posters in this thread try to say to defend his game.

Tonight he had 3 give-aways in the first alone. Didn't box out his man on the 2nd Nasville goal, he stood there NOT recognizing danger like USUAL. Tonight he couldn't carry the puck worth **** and he contributed zero offensively as usual. So sick and tired of people try to defend this NON-defender. LOOK AT HIS WHOLE GAME. ITS NOT GOOD.

dobiezeke*

He stood around in front of the net watching the game of hockey played with him not participating...he was awful. Please refer to the first two goals tonite. He is that bad.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
He has one point this year and provides no offense. He has been a disaster in his own end. He has the second worst plus/minus.

He is as bad as people say. He is the second coming of Tom Gilbert.

Tom Gilbert was also unfairly criticized for all the same reasons Petry is. And now he's logging big minutes for one of the better teams in the East. Why it's almost as if Oilers fans are awful at assessing D-men. :nod:

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Another typical Petry night tonight. And by typical I do not mean "solid play for the whole night and then 1 bad mistake" like alot of the posters in this thread try to say to defend his game.

Tonight he had 3 give-aways in the first alone. Didn't box out his man on the 2nd Nasville goal, he stood there NOT recognizing danger like USUAL. Tonight he couldn't carry the puck worth **** and he contributed zero offensively as usual. So sick and tired of people try to defend this NON-defender. LOOK AT HIS WHOLE GAME. ITS NOT GOOD.

Blaming Petry for the second goal is completely delusional.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

He had a horrible game. But that is not a typical Jeff Petry night either. A typical Nikitin night so far, sure, but not Petry. A lot of people have the hate blinders on when it comes to Petry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I just don't see it with this guy. To be honest I'm glad the Oilers did not sign him long term.

I mean I'm not going to scapegoat him as the reason for our D being bad, but I don't see him being part of the solution here either.

I said it in the summer, he's not terribly bad in any one area, but he's not terribly good in any one area either, lol. His outlet pass isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's great. His physical play sometimes isn't bad, but it's definitely not great. His offence/shot isn't bad, but it's not great either.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Tom Gilbert was also unfairly criticized for all the same reasons Petry is. And now he's logging big minutes for one of the better teams in the East. Why it's almost as if Oilers fans are awful at assessing D-men. :nod:

..I'm sure Petry would look better in an easier conference, on a better team, surrounded by better players too.

Petry isn't as horrible as people are making him sound but he still has way too many defensive zone gaffs and is providing zero offense. I haven't seen him take any steps forward cutting down the brainfarts or working on getting his shot through.

He is what he is now. I'm no longer expecting that big breakthrough that bumps him up to a top pairing D. I would love to be proven wrong

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yeah I just don't see it with this guy. To be honest I'm glad the Oilers did not sign him long term.

I mean I'm not going to scapegoat him as the reason for our D being bad, but I don't see him being part of the solution here either.

I said it in the summer, he's not terribly bad in any one area, but he's not terribly good in any one area either, lol. His outlet pass isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's great. His physical play sometimes isn't bad, but it's definitely not great. His offence/shot isn't bad, but it's not great either.

Pretty much. The one plus skill he has is his skating ability, where he probably ranks as the best among the current Oilers D. After that, he's very inconsistent in every other aspect of the game.

His play so far this year certainly doesn't make me hope that the team bends over backwards attempting to re-sign him to a long term deal.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

every defenceman on the oilers had turnovers last night for one simple reason: the break out was ****. Nashvilles forecheck was right on top of the passing targets so there was no where to actually go with the puck when they tried to break out. That leads to turnovers and scoring chances always. You can't just blame the D for that. The Oilers did not have a plan to handle a fast hard forechecking team and there was no separation by anyone to actually get out of their own zone.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
..I'm sure Petry would look better in an easier conference, on a better team, surrounded by better players too.

So he's not Chris Pronger is what you're saying?

Petry isn't as horrible as people are making him sound but he still has way too many defensive zone gaffs and is providing zero offense. I haven't seen him take any steps forward cutting down the brainfarts or working on getting his shot through.

I'd say his offensive production is hindered by the fact he sees virtually no power play time. As for "getting his shot through" he's second on the team in shots, ahead of alleged offensive wunderkind Justin Schultz with one fewer game played.

He is what he is now. I'm no longer expecting that big breakthrough that bumps him up to a top pairing D. I would love to be proven wrong

Who is claiming he's a top pairing D? Ideally, he'd be playing on the second pairing or on the top pairing with a real #1.

dobiezeke*

So he's not Chris Pronger is what you're saying?

I'd say his offensive production is hindered by the fact he sees virtually no power play time. As for "getting his shot through" he's second on the team in shots, ahead of alleged offensive wunderkind Justin Schultz with one fewer game played.

Who is claiming he's a top pairing D? Ideally, he'd be playing on the second pairing or on the top pairing with a real #1.

The bolded is a perfect comparison...he is exactly as inept at his game as Schultz. Both are weak defensively and sporadic offensively. Yet no one is claiming Schultz to be a top 1/2 defenceman.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
The bolded is a perfect comparison...he is exactly as inept at his game as Schultz. Both are weak defensively and sporadic offensively. Yet no one is claiming Schultz to be a top 1/2 defenceman.

Well he is a top 1/2 defenceman on the Oilers. Not his fault though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad