Jeff Petry

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just wanted to throw this out there. Petry I think is overrated on these boards and here's why.

Mostly EVERYONE seems to notice his ability to skate the puck out of our end and look smooth and fast while doing it.
Mostly EVERYONE seems to notice his HORRIBLE give-aways.
This makes people 50/50 on the player, with most giving him a pass as long as he minimizes his giveaways.

What I see go mostly UNNOTICED is the following:
1. His lack of ability to read a dangerous situation. A dangerous situation is developing (like the NY Ranger streaking in on his side) that he does not notice. He is in position (systems wise) but is in no position to stop the dangerous scoring chance from happening. This happens alot and he rarely gets called out for it because it's a tough play to see. He puck watches TOO much. Watch the play starting @ 2:11 of this video to see what I mean:
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=667602

2. His lack of ability to get shots through. When he gets the puck at the blue line, he either makes a play too quick while not looking up and it gets blocked OR he looks up and makes the play too slowly and it still gets blocked. He just doesn't have the vision to be an effective PP QB. If he miraculously get's a puck through, it misses the net.

3. His lack of ability to seperate players from the puck. Never been part of his game, and this is a huge part of the game for a shut down defenceman (which is what he is, or atleast should be striving to be since his offense game won't be there).

The reason I wanted to make this thread is because people were really harping on management's decision to give him a 1 year deal. Well, I'm glad they did because he hasn't proved he deserves a long term commitment. The only real reason to give him a longer term would be to hopefully get more trade value for him. But that's a double edged sword, because if there are no takers, you are stuck with him. IMO, he does one thing well and many things bad.

He's got the worst +/- of any defenceman rigt now @ -6 too by the way, and if you really break down his game it's no surprise.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He and Fayne are really the only defenseman on the team that can make a play at their own blueline.

In last night's game, Petry stripped a Ranger crossing the blueline about five or six times.

That's one of many subtle things Petry does that people treat as some run of the mill thing that defenseman just do rather than praise him for a play that basically no one else on the team can make.

He was by far the best defenseman on the ice from either team last night, but there were still people with torches and pitchforks in the PGT calling for his head because of one turnover.

People get obsessed with errors way too much.

It's like any positive play from a defenseman just gets you a passing grade, but a mistake gets you an automatic F.

Last edited:

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Ironically any Dmen pairs with Petry ends up having good game. Yeah he makes mistakes, and who does not? Even Pronger made blunders when he was here. At least Jeff plays better than Poti, Brewer and Gilbert.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Ironically any Dmen pairs with Petry ends up having good game. Yeah he makes mistakes, and who does not? Even Pronger made blunders when he was here. At least Jeff plays better than Poti, Brewer and Gilbert.

He is making the Nikitin from a game before everyone thought was a hot mess into an NHL defence man.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Man do I miss the days of even Pitkanen/Souray etc. That said I do think Eakins' system makes every defender basically look worse than they are.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

When all of those guys were playing their best, honestly I think Petry was probably the weakest of the bunch. Poti and Brewer were both Olympians. Both had very long careers as top 4 d-men in this league. Tom Gilbert's defensive game (at least imo) was just as strong as Petry's, but he brought much more offense to thet able.

That being said, Petry is most certainly one of this teams top 4 d-men and we can't afford to simply trade him for picks.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
The Rangers game was Jeff's 250th NHL game. It has been said by many here that the 300 game mark is the reaching maturity Mendoza line for NHL Defensemen. He was thrown in to sink or swim on this "process" team from day one. Virtually top minutes all the way. Three different coaches and scores of pairing partners. He's looking pretty steady these days (even though he gets different partners) and I think things are starting to click. The club invested and leaned on this kid through these hard times but wouldn't give him a 3 yr deal so now just when one of their own (Edm drafted player and Rt shooting D) is starting to emerge, they face the strong possibility of losing him for not much return.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
3. His lack of ability to seperate players from the puck. Never been part of his game, and this is a huge part of the game for a shut down defenceman (which is what he is, or atleast should be striving to be since his offense game won't be there).

If this were true, he wouldn't keep leading our dmen in takeaways, and be 1st or 2nd on the team in hits. He has a very good stick, and knows how to separate people from the puck.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It will be a travesty if they trade him. Mend the fences, and sign him long term.

No, he has to be traded. The oilers however operate just like some of us on this board do however. A guy plays a few good games and suddenly he is a key part of the team. Plays bad games and it is time to get rid of him.

- He doesn't really want to be here it seems.
- We have Marinicn, klefbom, nurse and possibly others waiting in the wings for the next year or so.
- He is very inconsistent, moves the puck well at times has some very bad games at times.
- He is a covetted right handed shot.

A team with an actual plan would be working hard to deal him or package him right now. However mact flip flops on all things so he will probably stay here until the deadline when we are well out of it and get traded for a couple draft picks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It will be a travesty if they trade him. Mend the fences, and sign him long term.

I would like to keep Petry, but it seems like it's just not in the cards. The cap may not go up at all, and we do have Fayne as our shutdown RHD now. We will also be looking to open up one or two spots for young guys like Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse.

I definitely see his value to us today though. I would be fine with us keeping him and riding out the contract rather than trading him to preserve some value there. Of course, the exception would be if we're well out of playoff position at the deadline and someone is really desperate and gives up a ton.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I completely disagree. Brewer was head and shoulders above those guys in defensive ability. There was no comparison (as evidenced by his long career as a #3).

Poti, Gilbert... both were a fire-sale defensively and IMO fairly comparable to Petry. Petry might have better fundamental defensive SKILLS, but he's just as soft in the head defensively as Poti and Gilbert. The difference? While all three are prone to completely blown assignments and a lack of defensive awareness leading to the critical mistake of the game... at least with Poti and Gilbert they could make the offensive plays to compensate.

In Petry all I see is a guy who *should be an excellent defensive defenseman but who's limited defensive hockey sense will always stand in his way. You just cannot be a shutdown d-man when you panic under pressure or freeze while reading a play. It happens at least 2-3 times per game with Petry and usually at least one ends in the back of the net.

It's too bad... all of the skills are there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He has been better as of late but he still has those one or two braincramps every game that leaves you shaking your head.

Also, for a Dman with his skillset, it's inexcusable to have only 1 point in 14 games. I know that he doesn't get much PP time but that's utterly pathetic for a player who is supposed to be a good puckmover. Even Fayne has 4 points mainly because he can actually get his shot on net on occasion which seems to be lost on Petry.
It drives me nuts with him because he has the look of a player who should put up more points but rarely finishes off a play. Reminds me of Smid in his early years. Virtually no Hockey IQ.

Take into account that he is pretty average defensively all things considered, is soft and doesn't create much offense and i'm not sure how anybody can defend his play this season.

He has been better as of late but i scoff at this talk of "Oilers best Dman". Fayne is clearly better than him IMO. Even Ference has been on par with him and yes, Ference has actually been pretty decent this season especially as of late.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He and Fayne are really the only defenseman on the team that can make a play at their own blueline.

In last night's game, Petry stripped a Ranger crossing the blueline about five or six times.

That's one of many subtle things Petry does that people treat as some run of the mill thing that defenseman just do rather than praise him for a play that basically no one else on the team can make.

He was by far the best defenseman on the ice from either team last night, but there were still people with torches and pitchforks in the PGT calling for his head because of one turnover.

People get obsessed with errors way too much.

It's like any positive play from a defenseman just gets you a passing grade, but a mistake gets you an automatic F.

Last game, he did give the puck away in the third that almost cost the team. It was so bad that I had no clue who he intended to pass the puck to. His giveaways are that bad. I agree, he did have a solid game but honestly, his giveaways are always by far and large the worst... just like that 'one' giveaway in that third!

Petry seems to not be able to correct that part of his game. Perhaps he might make abetter forward rather than a defensemen.

- He is good at rushing the puck and taking it to the net.

- He sucks at getting any shot through from the point.

- He sucks at reading the play in the defensive zone.

- He sucks most of the time pinching.

I agree with the OP. I'm happy he got stuck with a one year contract.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jeff Petry appears to be over-rated with some because the rest of our D has been so historically and tragically bad while he's been here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This reminds me of that silly analogy that was given when Hemsky was giving the puck away all the time. Someone said Datsuyk did the same thing because he always had the puck, so it was acceptable. Still makes me laugh to this day.:laugh:

Chris Pronger and Jeff Petry should NEVER be used in the same sentence when speaking of comparables. EVER.:shakehead

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
This reminds me of that silly analogy that was given when Hemsky was giving the puck away all the time. Someone said Datsuyk did the same thing because he always had the puck, so it was acceptable. Still makes me laugh to this day.:laugh:

Chris Pronger and Jeff Petry should NEVER be used in the same sentence when speaking of comparables. EVER.:shakehead
I was not trying to compare Petry to Pronger. If you look at his Hartford days and first season with Blues, you will see a lack of hockey sense of Pronger. It takes a D about 4 -5 years to develop.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Jeff Petry appears to be over-rated with some because the rest of our D has been so historically and tragically bad while he's been here.

I think it's the opposite.

It's been so long since the Oilers have had a great defenseman that there's some myth going around that great defensemen don't make mistakes.

Great defensemen make mistakes.

Good defensemen make even more mistakes.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'd add to dnicks17's post, that d-men who handle the puck very little also have fewer giveaways, and while they seem to pass the stats tests, they're pretty damn worthless when trying to build a winning team.

Petry is a keeper.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's hardly perfect, but I'm really liking this players. Right now, I would move Schultz and resign Petry, 3yr $4.5M~ per if you can.

Ogopogo*

Petry is garbage. To be honest, we are a team of 6 third-pair defensemen - our entire defensive corps is garbage and that is why we struggle.

Petry's heinous giveaways are unacceptable, I can't wait to be rid of him - he is the Devan Dubnyk of the blue line.

MacT needs to bring in some legit top-pair defensemen. It is so bad, Oil fans are talking about how valuable Petry is. Get some perspective, people - Petry is terrible, you are just duped into thinking he is decent because all of our defense is bad. Petry needs to go.

Ogopogo*

I think it's the opposite.

It's been so long since the Oilers have had a great defenseman that there's some myth going around that great defensemen don't make mistakes.

Great defensemen make mistakes.

Good defensemen make even more mistakes.

Yes but when good defensemen make mistakes, it is forgivable because they bring so much good to the table. Petry doesn't bring the good to the table, he just makes brutal giveaways. Petry sucks.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
petry is garbage. To be honest, we are a team of 6 third-pair defensemen - our entire defensive corps is garbage and that is why we struggle.

Petry's heinous giveaways are unacceptable, i can't wait to be rid of him - he is the devan dubnyk of the blue line.

Mact needs to bring in some legit top-pair defensemen. It is so bad, oil fans are talking about how valuable petry is. Get some perspective, people - petry is terrible, you are just duped into thinking he is decent because all of our defense is bad. Petry needs to go.

ofdto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad