Value of: Jeff Petry to Dallas/Vegas

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
Petry's value will be at his highest at this year's trade deadline. Next year's UFA dmen quality and quantity is much better, making it a buyer's market.
Exactly and you got teams like Vegas who are close and need a #3 dman. Kings ransom or no deal.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
5 years of Pacioretty. FIVE. Un deux trois quatre CINQ. They also traded for 8 1/2 years of Stone and 3 1/2 years of Tatar.
Not a year and a half.

1 year of Pacioretty
3 months of Stone
1 year 3 months of Petry
Whatever happens after the trade with Petry can be the same thing that happened with Pacioretty and Stone

If anything you have an advantage if he doesn't fit and you can walk away. Imagine if Pacioretty didn't find his game and kept being ass like he was the first few months in Vegas. You think blues are thrilled being stuck with Faulk for 7 years? Capitals with Jensen for 4?

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
That's way more than what Muzzin got. I'd be doing cartwheels if we got that.
McPhee is an idiot. I be asking for Glass to be included. Or at minimum another draft pick or two on top of your offer. Say a second and conditional 2nd if he resigns.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
McPhee is an idiot. I be asking for Glass to be included. Or at minimum another draft pick or two on top of your offer. Say a second and conditional 2nd if he resigns.

McPhee is not the GM anymore

Also Glass was off the table for Karlsson so good luck

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The only way the Habs 'steal the show' at the draft is if they win the lottery.

well i think they steal the show if they get 3 first round picks, or if they trade for some young talent at a good price

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
1 year of Pacioretty
3 months of Stone
1 year 3 months of Petry
Whatever happens after the trade with Petry can be the same thing that happened with Pacioretty and Stone

If anything you have an advantage if he doesn't fit and you can walk away. Imagine if Pacioretty didn't find his game and kept being ass like he was the first few months in Vegas. You think blues are thrilled being stuck with Faulk for 7 years? Capitals with Jensen for 4?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I really don't see the Habs moving Petry as we do not have anyone ready to take over his role. Cale Fleury is firmly in the bottom pairing and Josh Brook / Juulsen are not close. Pretty sure he's off the table.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
As a Habs fan I'd rather just resign Petry to an extension. What are the odds we could get another no. 2 D from that pick? Our supposed drafting guru hasn't done that in ten years so why risk it now?

Same for Tatar IMO.

Actually he did but our idiot GM traded him for Drouin.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Oh so they were traded with 1 year and 3 months on their contracts respectively, thanks for confirming EXACTLY WHAT I SAID

I'm sure Vegas management hasn't lost the ability to talk and can use it with Petry as well.

And again there's a benefit to having a player for a dry run to see where he fits or if circumstances change. I'm sure Vegas would have preferred to have Stastny signed for 1 year instead of 3.

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I wouldn’t trade Hague for Petry straight up with 50% retention. Some of these proposals are bizarre.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think Montreal should keep Petry and trade Tatar. Solid, two dimensional RHD's are fairly hard to come by. Smallish wingers are much easier to find. If Vegas is as desperate as some have stated, (and I am not convinced), and Hague is on the table, then of course Montreal runs with it.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think Montreal should keep Petry and trade Tatar. Solid, two dimensional RHD's are fairly hard to come by. Smallish wingers are much easier to find. If Vegas is as desperate as some have stated, (and I am not convinced), and Hague is on the table, then of course Montreal runs with it.
Keep him for what? He’s a UFA after next season. Likely will want at least 4 year x $5.5MM and will turn 34 1st year of the deal. Move on and get younger. No room for 2 40 year old RHD on the roster.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Keep him for what? He’s a UFA after next season. Likely will want at least 4 year x $5.5MM and will turn 34 1st year of the deal. Move on and get younger. No room for 2 40 year old RHD on the roster.
I would hang on to him until next year's TDL. Veteran players are still useful, even if only in a mentoring capacity. Who moves in to his spot if he's moved now? It isn't a good idea to rush the development of your prospects.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I would hang on to him until next year's TDL. Veteran players are still useful, even if only in a mentoring capacity. Who moves in to his spot if he's moved now? It isn't a good idea to rush the development of your prospects.
Next year if we are a bubble team they won’t move him then. Price and Weber are the vets to mentor. Look at Craig Rivet, similar age, Habs dealt him, Sharks got a couple of solid years out of him then he fell off a cliff. Habs got Gorges and 1st round pic (Pacioretty). Gorges flipped for a pick, Pacs flipped for a package - circle of life and solid succession planning. Look at Markov - nothing. Radulov - nothing. Koivu - nothing. Gionta - nothing.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
1st , top10 protected
Hague
Korczak

for Petry 35% retention.

Love Hague but we would need to protect him in the expansion draft. Seems like a pretty steep price for Vegas to pay but hoping Bergevin can pull it off

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really don't see the Habs moving Petry as we do not have anyone ready to take over his role. Cale Fleury is firmly in the bottom pairing and Josh Brook / Juulsen are not close. Pretty sure he's off the table.
Petry will be missed that is for sure. Defensemen who play 25 minutes with 46 points hard to replace. I wouldn't move him unless overpayment.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
That's a fair deal IMO. I'd be wary about moving the 1st, but I don't think the front office will be. With the coaching move the onus is squarely on them now to win immediately.
It's a deal I'd do as well even though I dont know what the market is exactly, and that it should be good for a player like Petry which I like a lot. He's probably the available player with the highest value on the Habs right now. Would probably fit in well in Vegas, and Vegas still has tons of picks and prospects somehow.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i think montreal hangs onto him too unless a team blows habs away with an offer. Mtl's RD are not ready yet..romanov is a lefty. Tatar is more likely to move and again, i see it next year unless someone blows bergevin away. Habs forward depth is good but tatar has been great last 18 months , regardless of what people think.

ps -with so much parity it's going to be a seller's market again. people are going to be shocked at the elevated prices for players

Reactions: Archijerej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad