Value of: Jeff Petry to Dallas/Vegas

callan819

Mar 22, 2011
As a habs fan i'm reluctant in trading Petry just because he eats so many minutes and our depth on the right side is fair weak, but if he were made available, he'd be the top Dman on the market. Just by looking at the standings, the teams that made most sense to me were Dallas and Vegas since all of the other teams in the west have their top 4D locked in and I'm sure the habs would rather deal Petry out of the conference.

What kind of package could you receive back for Petry?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hague is probably out of question so I’m asking from Kaeden Korczak + 1st from Vegas

Both are out of the question and Vegas could be out of the playoffs. They shouldn't pay a premium for a year and a half of a top 4 defenseman when they can get a young buck like DeAngelo or wait for summer free agency.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Hague is probably out of question so I’m asking from Kaeden Korczak + 1st from Vegas

I proposed 2021 1st and Morozov for Petry. That is more than fair I think. Only because Vegas has 5 2nds over the next 2 years and Petry is probably the only Dman likely to be available who can move the needle for them.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I proposed 2021 1st and Morozov for Petry. That is more than fair I think. Only because Vegas has 5 2nds over the next 2 years and Petry is probably the only Dman likely to be available who can move the needle for them.

As a Habs fan I'd rather just resign Petry to an extension. What are the odds we could get another no. 2 D from that pick? Our supposed drafting guru hasn't done that in ten years so why risk it now?

Same for Tatar IMO.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
As a Habs fan I'd rather just resign Petry to an extension. What are the odds we could get another no. 2 D from that pick? Our supposed drafting guru hasn't done that in ten years so why risk it now?

Same for Tatar IMO.

What possible reason would there be to not trade him? Montreal’s not gonna win anything with him while he’s good, may as well get some assets out of him while you can.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Dallas passes. Defense is not our issue and I'd rather roll with Oleksiak or Johns with Miro.
I don't think Dallas should go for it, since I don't think they have what it takes to contend. They are not a Petry away from the cup.

... but Oleksiak and Johns are mediocre at best. If that's the best you got, you are in trouble.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
What possible reason would there be to not trade him? Montreal’s not gonna win anything with him while he’s good, may as well get some assets out of him while you can.

He still has some good years left and is on pace to match his career best in points. He's a workhorse and can fill in when Weber is injured.

Statistically, we have probably like a 10% chance or less to draft his equivalent with the pick and we'd need to wait at least 5 years for him to get good.

This isn't like the Pacioretty trade when we traded a disgruntled captain on the downswing who was about to ask for a significant raise.

No need to trade Petry or Tatar either unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Guy is signed next season. Montreal does not have a spare #2 RHD.

They'd certainly get great value next year at the deadline... Even in June if want to have more suitors. Guy is a great defenseman in his prime.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I don't think Dallas should go for it, since I don't think they have what it takes to contend. They are not a Petry away from the cup.

... but Oleksiak and Johns are mediocre at best. If that's the best you got, you are in trouble.

The 1st in goals against Dallas Stars don't need to be paying premium assets for a guy to come in and be ther 4th best defender. Oleksiak or Johns will suffice, especially because whoever is picked will be playing with Miro.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Both are out of the question and Vegas could be out of the playoffs. They shouldn't pay a premium for a year and a half of a top 4 defenseman when they can get a young buck like DeAngelo or wait for summer free agency.
True to some extent but we are talking about a #2 D-man

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
As a habs fan i'm reluctant in trading Petry just because he eats so many minutes and our depth on the right side is fair weak, but if he were made available, he'd be the top Dman on the market. Just by looking at the standings, the teams that made most sense to me were Dallas and Vegas since all of the other teams in the west have their top 4D locked in and I'm sure the habs would rather deal Petry out of the conference.

What kind of package could you receive back for Petry?
I would ask for a first and Krebs? A 25 minute defenseman with control has good value. We probably retain some. On take a bad contract back like a Reaves or Eakin.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Trading for players without much term goes against Vegas GMs' MO. They're always looking for 3-8 years of term, and under 31 years of age. That's all they ever talk about.

So again, a package for DeAngelo and extending him 6+ years would be much more in line with their crazy machinations.

I would ask for a first and Krebs? A 25 minute defenseman with control has good value. We probably retain some. On take a bad contract back like a Reaves or Eakin.

Your name is appropriate.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Nearly made it to the conference finals last season with Polak as Heiskanen's partner, and defensive play wasn't the reason we didn't beat the Blues. I think our defense will be fine as long as they're healthy.

Stars primary and only concern should be offense

Reactions: LatvianTwist

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I believe Petry to Vegas makes sense, I also believe that what ODG says is not crazy when looking at the Muzzin comparable (1.5 years remaining in Petry's contract like Muzzin, similar level with a bit more offensive production for Petry lately), which was a 1st + 2 2nd round prospects (in the scenario where you add a bad contract from Vegas side, you need compensation, maybe you do not want to upgrade to another 1st (Krebs) but then compensation should come under the form of lesser picks that is quite a detail) but I believe the two fan bases are not so far apart and both agree Petry to Vegas could make sense.

Regarding Dallas, not sure why they would do that, I would dream of MTL's defense playing like DAL's ;)

However, not sure how DAL fans would see this but I think that Tatar or Kovalchuck may make sense for them given their offensive production.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I dont think Petry will ever be traded by Berge. He is not in rebuild mode and we have no way of replacing him and his 23 minutes a night. No one in the org is even close to ready and the D already sucks with him in the lineup. Imagine how bad it would be without him?? Im sure that thought sends quivers done Berge's spine. He isnt getting traded.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I dont think Petry will ever be traded by Berge. He is not in rebuild mode and we have no way of replacing him and his 23 minutes a night. No one in the org is even close to ready and the D already sucks with him in the lineup. Imagine how bad it would be without him?? Im sure that thought sends quivers done Berge's spine. He isnt getting traded.
I tend to agree with you. Gonna take quite the offer for MOntreal to move Petry. He will be missed next season

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why? You paid more than that for Pacioretty. Suzuki was a higher pick than Krebs. Tatar we could trade for a first pick everyday of the week. Plus we got a 2nd and a little retention on Tatar.

5 years of Pacioretty. FIVE. Un deux trois quatre CINQ. They also traded for 8 1/2 years of Stone and 3 1/2 years of Tatar.
Not a year and a half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad