Jeff Petry & his contract

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He's trade fodder because he wants off of this sinking ship. The Oilers shot themselves in the foot by not shoring up the D in the past few seasons and this will be the case next year. There's no way that Boychuk is coming here. If anybody has any realistic avenues for our D's reformation, I'd like to hear it.

Where is this "Petry wants to leave" stuff coming from?

According to this blog, http://oilersnation.com/2015/1/14/sources-say-no-offer-made-to-petry...

"Our source tells us that Petry very much does want to remain a part of the organization that drafted him almost 9 years ago."

and...

"However, as per our source close to situation, when Petry's agent contacted the Oilers to discuss possible negotiations he was told that the club was trying to move him. No contract talks of any nature have happened."

" the Oilers have not yet offered Petry a new contract, nor have they had any meaningful discussions that could lead to a new contract even two weeks past the point where they could have started to do so."

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Where is this "Petry wants to leave" stuff coming from?

According to this blog, http://oilersnation.com/2015/1/14/sources-say-no-offer-made-to-petry...

"Our source tells us that Petry very much does want to remain a part of the organization that drafted him almost 9 years ago."

and...

"However, as per our source close to situation, when Petry's agent contacted the Oilers to discuss possible negotiations he was told that the club was trying to move him. No contract talks of any nature have happened."

" the Oilers have not yet offered Petry a new contract, nor have they had any meaningful discussions that could lead to a new contract even two weeks past the point where they could have started to do so."

The talk all stems from the deal he signed. He was an RFA who signed a 1 year deal that takes him right to UFA status, and it's a very low cap hit. Just like the O'Reilly deal, when it eats up the RFA it just seems like the player obviously wants to test the market and it likely means he ends up on a contender somewhere.

As for all nice little quotes about how he wants to stay, that's just what players are expected to be like. Stastny constantly talked about how he wanted to stay in Colorado at all costs because the team drafted him and he wants to be part of the solution as the team improves in the future. It's just a platitude that makes the player look like a better professional in the eyes of EVERYONE in the league, not just us.

Actions speak louder than words. The action here is that contract he signed. It's very transparent.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The talk all stems from the deal he signed. He was an RFA who signed a 1 year deal that takes him right to UFA status, and it's a very low cap hit. Just like the O'Reilly deal, when it eats up the RFA it just seems like the player obviously wants to test the market and it likely means he ends up on a contender somewhere.

As for all nice little quotes about how he wants to stay, that's just what players are expected to be like. Stastny constantly talked about how he wanted to stay in Colorado at all costs because the team drafted him and he wants to be part of the solution as the team improves in the future. It's just a platitude that makes the player look like a better professional in the eyes of EVERYONE in the league, not just us.

Actions speak louder than words. The action here is that contract he signed. It's very transparent.

Not at all. Let me ask you this - why did the Oilers offer him a one year contract?

If the Oilers wanted to keep Petry - why would they offer him a contract that would expire just as he's hitting UFA status?

That's plain stupid. Its clear then that the Oilers aren't that interested in keeping Petry beyond UFA.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not at all. Let me ask you this - why did the Oilers offer him a one year contract?

we can't know what Petry was offered. Just like with Schultz, we could have aimed for a long term deal but weren't comfortable with the money, term or NTC that the player wanted. And really, we should be worried about that considering that Petry is not good enough to warrant a huge raise north of 4 million, especially since he's not going to get much better.

Ultimately, we can't know exactly what the issue is, but it doesn't matter because the important thing is the relationship between the two sides. What they eventually decided on was a low cap contract, which is curious considering that we don't need the cap space at all. However, low cap space makes him much more valuable as a trade piece and so it seems likely that Petry liked the deal precisely because it made him tradeable.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

If the Oilers wanted to keep Petry - why would they offer him a contract that would expire just as he's hitting UFA status?

That's plain stupid. Its clear then that the Oilers aren't that interested in keeping Petry beyond UFA.
Oilers expected Justin Norris Schultz to become the top pairing RD with Fayne 2nd pairing RD. Had that happened paying a third pairing RD north of 4M per season long term would not have made sense. MacT did the right thing by not giving JS or Petry a long term contract.. Petry at 4.5M long term would have been pretty bad since he has failed to be an upgrade over Fayne.

Jul 19, 2012
The optics indicate Petry will be leaving. I assume he is as sick of playing for a losing team as we are sick of watching a losing team.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
In a perfect world we resign Petry, sign Boychuk and trade Schultz away. I would be happy with a right shooting dmen of:
Boychuk
Petry
Fayne

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Contracts go both ways. Maybe Petry would only sign a one year? We don't know.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
we can't know what Petry was offered. Just like with Schultz, we could have aimed for a long term deal but weren't comfortable with the money, term or NTC that the player wanted. And really, we should be worried about that considering that Petry is not good enough to warrant a huge raise north of 4 million, especially since he's not going to get much better.

True we don't know what terms Petry was offered... except for one.

The Oilers offered Petry a one year deal. It could have been the only term, or there could have been several options. If the Oilers were intent on keeping Petry, it makes no sense to even offer him a one year deal.

Personally, jmo, from what I've read and heard, it seems like the Oilers are not interested in having Petry here for the long term. Certainly from the blog I've posted earlier, it seems like the Oilers are not negotiating with Petry for next year. That indicates to me, that the Oilers probably only offered the one year deal to Petry.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
True we don't know what terms Petry was offered... except for one.

The Oilers offered Petry a one year deal. It could have been the only term, or there could have been several options. If the Oilers were intent on keeping Petry, it makes no sense to even offer him a one year deal.

Personally, jmo, from what I've read and heard, it seems like the Oilers are not interested in having Petry here for the long term. Certainly from the blog I've posted earlier, it seems like the Oilers are not negotiating with Petry for next year. That indicates to me, that the Oilers probably only offered the one year deal to Petry.

The Oilers aren't the only ones who had a say in what Petry signed. You don't know that they offered him a one year deal. You are assuming it, but it is also possible that they offered Petry longer deals, and he declined, saying he would only sign for one year.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Contracts was a two way street, the obvious situation here is that Petry wanted more money for a long term deal than the Oilers were prepared to offer.

My suspicion would be that they hoped that Fayne would be the player he is and that Schultz would develop into what they hoped he would and they could easily say Petry wasn't worth it. Trouble is Schultz hasn't progressed to the level where he needs to be but the Oilers still seem more committed to him than to Petry which is a mistake.

Actually kind of summarizes a lot of the mistakes made. Too many decisions based on hope rather than actually assessing what your team is doing.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Oilers expected Justin Norris Schultz to become the top pairing RD with Fayne 2nd pairing RD. Had that happened paying a third pairing RD north of 4M per season long term would not have made sense. MacT did the right thing by not giving JS or Petry a long term contract.. Petry at 4.5M long term would have been pretty bad since he has failed to be an upgrade over Fayne.

I'd say Petry is definitely better than Fayne, and the TOI indicates that Nelson believes the same thing. Not that Fayne is bad, quite the opposite. But he doesn't have the transition game that Petry has.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No we don't know. But I have about 20 examples from past history to not give Oilers' management the benefit of the doubt. I assume they did everything wrong. Why?

#because Oilers.

MacT still had a big mouth last summer before everyone realized what a fraud he is from this season. He gave 2 hints about how the contract talks with Petry went before they decided on the 1 year deal.

1) He said he didn't want too many $4M price-point D as a reason Petry wasn't signed long term
2) He said he made a long term offer that someone "without confidence in their abilities" would have accepted, so he gave a long term offer below that $4M price point.

Sounds like we offered a lowball long term deal and decided Nikitin and Schultz were all the ~$4M price point guys we want. Schultz wasn't signed at the time of that interview, so he was probably still banking on a longer term in that price range. Thank goodness that didn't happen. If we could have locked up Petry long term for ~$4M last summer, I think this is another epic failure to add to MacT's long list of epic failures. Put it right beside the Nikitin contract.

Jul 19, 2012
MacT still had a big mouth last summer before everyone realized what a fraud he is from this season. He gave 2 hints about how the contract talks with Petry went before they decided on the 1 year deal.

1) He said he didn't want too many $4M price-point D as a reason Petry wasn't signed long term
2) He said he made a long term offer that someone "without confidence in their abilities" would have accepted, so he gave a long term offer below that $4M price point.

Sounds like we offered a lowball long term deal and decided Nikitin and Schultz were all the ~$4M price point guys we want. Schultz wasn't signed at the time of that interview, so he was probably still banking on a longer term in that price range. Thank goodness that didn't happen. If we could have locked up Petry long term for ~$4M last summer, I think this is another epic failure to add to MacT's long list of epic failures. Put it right beside the Nikitin contract.

KLown, MacT and Eakins all have "Stupid Statement" disease when a mike is put in front of them. I think they like to hear themselves talk. Someone should do a thread on all the ridiculous things said by these 3. They need to shut up and go about their business than make Bold statements all the time.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
In a perfect world we resign Petry, sign Boychuk and trade Schultz away. I would be happy with a right shooting dmen of:
Boychuk
Petry
Fayne

I give Boychuk almost no chance of leaving the Islanders, but as stated in another thread, I believe Mike Green would be a great addition.

He's RH, way better at pushing the puck forward than any defender on the team and would be excellent on the PP. He's the Caps' 5th D-man as well in terms of TOI and shifts/game and has had injury problems in the past, so there is a good chance they let him walk over the summer.

Plus, (like Boychuk) he's from AB.

Green
Petry
Fayne

on the right side (with Nurse an injury call-up from the AHL) is a playoff-worthy right side.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
KLown, MacT and Eakins all have "Stupid Statement" disease when a mike is put in front of them. I think they like to hear themselves talk. Someone should do a thread on all the ridiculous things said by these 3. They need to shut up and go about their business than make Bold statements all the time.

We'd need another forum because this one would be full.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No we don't know. But I have about 20 examples from past history to not give Oilers' management the benefit of the doubt. I assume they did everything wrong. Why?

#because Oilers.

Share three examples where you actually know! If you've got 20 it shouldn't be so tough...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Share three examples where you actually know! If you've got 20 it shouldn't be so tough...

1. Thought Nikitin was a good defensemen
2. Thought (still thinks) Eakins is a good coach
3. Signed Grebashkov
4. Thought Drai /Arco would be good enough.
5. Thought they could build around RNH and Gagner as a top 1C and 2C.

As u can probably see, my point was that the judgement of Oilers' management is proven to be suspect at best, and most often poor. And there are literally dozens of examples. There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt on any questionable decision, ergo, I can not with this Petry debacle. I assume they played their hand poorly.

Make 2 or 3 mistakes, you are a normal NHL GM. Make 20 or 30 over 7 years (going back to Glencross) and you are not up for the job. That's what makes this gongshow so rare; most organizations clean house long before they are allowed to make this many ----ups.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
1. Thought Nikitin was a good defensemen
2. Thought (still thinks) Eakins is a good coach
3. Signed Grebashkov
4. Thought Drai /Arco would be good enough.
5. Thought they could build around RNH and Gagner as a top 1C and 2C.

As u can probably see, my point was that the judgement of Oilers' management is proven to be suspect at best, and most often poor. And there are literally dozens of examples. There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt on any questionable decision, ergo, I can not with this Petry debacle. I assume they played their hand poorly.

Make 2 or 3 mistakes, you are a normal NHL GM. Make 20 or 30 over 7 years (going back to Glencross) and you are not up for the job. That's what makes this gongshow so rare; most organizations clean house long before they are allowed to make this many ----ups.

6) Mgmt is going to be hard pressed to replace deadweight or address the glaring deficiencies that are/will be present.

^^^ That alone is a reprehensible position for a professional organization to be in after eight years (?) of missing the playoffs. Why even fill out the rest of this hypothetical list?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

They make stupid statements all the time, because they are actually stupid. Which is why when they do go about the business of their chosen professions, they do terrible jobs.

I always get a kick out of the comments that occasionally crop up that Mact/Eakins are intelligent because they can come off as well spoken, which is absurd since eloquence is not synonymous with intelligence. Something people should be more aware of considering North American culture is dominated by Hollywood; a community predominantly composed of well spoken idiots :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad