GDT: WCSF | VII | "How The West Was Won" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.20.24 | 7:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
@Fourier responding to your post in the PGT, I never saw the final against the Flyers, nor was I alive to watch the 80s Oilers. I did see game 7 of the final against the Hurricanes. That was definitely stressful but at that point in time, my heart wasn't fully invested in the team. After that run, I became a fanatic and unfortunately we sucked from that point until 2017.

I'm perfectly calm now but come puck drop... Oh boy. This game could very well determine if Draisaitl and McDavid stay in Edmonton. Guess for now we sit tight and wait.
tumblr_mphn55TJFI1r5siljo6_250.gif

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its been an entertaining series with lots of side stories.

Canucks-- #1 goaltender is out but #3 comes in and plays pretty well for the most part. Soucy suspended for 1 game. Peterson is stone cold but Boeser gets hot and then suddenly is out for game #7.

Oilers- Superstar held in check for 3 games. The league's best power play goes from supernova to red dwarf. Holloway emerges as a bonafide NHL'er who can perform in the playoffs. #1 goaltender is yanked for #2 goaltender who saves the series, then in turn is yanked in game #6.

Its been fun but I am glad that its over tonight--too much emotion.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Keys to victory for me are the same as they were heading into the series:

- McDavid's line needs to outplay Miller's line 5v5
- Skinner needs a svp at .900 (or close to it)
- Special teams needs to be a combined 105% or better. The PP is due tonight.

Keys to survive this game as a fan:

- Delete twitter
- Stay off hfboards main boards
- Remind yourself that the short and sweet Alberta summer has just begun and there are more fun and rewarding things to care about than a hockey team

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There really is no excuse for this team to lose today.

It's an AHL goalie, their best scorer is injured. Their top defenceman hasn't scored in almost 20 games.

As well its the Oilers that are the veteran playoff team.

If skinner doesn't shit the bed no excuse for not winning.
And that is always the great unknown.

Keep the shots to less than 20 and high danger chances to less than 2 and they should win.

I’ve crapped on Skinner enough lately, all I’m going to say is Dr. Skindaddy (Jekyl) better show up tonight and not Mr. Skinflap (Hyde).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
games like this are what legends are made for...I expect McDrai to have monster games
Canucks will be ultra motivated to "win one for the Boeser"

time to flip the script in this series

- Skinner has to outplay Silovs...it's that simple
- PP needs a goal
- Lindholm is the X factor for the Nucks IMO...he needs a quiet game
- can the 3rd line show up for once in the playoffs? ANYTHING from Foegele or McLeod and the Oilers win

finally, just find a way...just f***ing win

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Are some of the oilers still sick?
No Adam Henrique yet? What the hell did he do to his ankle? Compound fracture? Lol fack
The oilers have to take care of business today and prepare for an impossible series against Dallas.
A high ankle sprain is a bitch of an injury. Probably the most frustrating injury I ever had. You give it the rest and do the physio, tape it up, and it feels good, and after a few minutes of your activity, you realize you are back to square one. I lost track how many times I did this, took about a year to properly heal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Let's beat Shelob tonight!View attachment 873492
One of the memories that won't go away is that you're used to seeing opponent goalies look like some sort of villains. Historically Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, Adin Hill, guys like that who are easy to dislike.

Then comes along this charming smiling little Silovs kid thats nice all day and probably apologizes for making saves. Looks like a choir boy. Asks for McD and Drai's autographs.

Most of the canucks are easy to dislike but I can't manufacture it for this guy and he's a good story. But that story ended in game 6. Right right? ;)

Pickard is like that too. Nice unassuming, easy to like. Not so much with Skinner.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No idea what Oilers team will show up. Will they push hard and go for the win?
Will they see Boeser is out and take it easy for the next round leading to a crushing defeat?
Will Skinner make a save? Or will Nurse deflect the puck into their own net? Will the boys shoot to score or pass for a highlight reel miss?
This team is so up and down that it’s entirely unpredictable how they will play or if they will even care that this could be the last game of the season.

All I know is one fanbase is going to be insufferable for the next year, only question is which one.

Seems a bit "coincidental"
Apparently he was the ref for game 3 against LA which was our blowout win so who knows. I do know he does seem to favor Vancouver.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be or not to be. That is the question.

I blame the weather on this Vancouver series.

On cue it will stop raining and prairie blue sky and sun will return as soon as this series is over. Go figure.

Nucks have had their own officiating, puck luck, and unpack their own weather. tricky bastids.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No idea what Oilers team will show up. Will they push hard and go for the win?
Will they see Boeser is out and take it easy for the next round leading to a crushing defeat?
Will Skinner make a save? Or will Nurse deflect the puck into their own net? Will the boys shoot to score or pass for a highlight reel miss?
This team is so up and down that it’s entirely unpredictable how they will play or if they will even care that this could be the last game of the season.

All I know is one fanbase is going to be insufferable for the next year, only question is which one.

Apparently he was the ref for game 3 against LA which was our blowout win so who knows. I do know he does seem to favor Vancouver.
Dunno about this. For Vancouver this is bragging rights. Big thing for that club. For the Oilers and fans its just getting by the latest obstacle on the way.

Same dynamic as Flames. If they won you'd never hear the end of it. When they lose its some excuse of excuses.

I'll put bets on the Nucks fanbase being insufferable win or lose;) Whoops, I don't bet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The one and only.

I imagine Bettman had the Jack Eichel “Really? Huh. Really?” bewildered look on his face hearing Boeser is out. Putting his best man for the job out there tonight.
What a bunch of horseshit. How does Holland not have an ear in the ref manager/director in this series about this. Like only one game tonight, they could have picked any f***in ref in this League.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What a bunch of horseshit. How does Holland not have an ear in the ref manager/director in this series about this. Like only one game to my ugh, they could have picked any f***in ref in this League.
In my opinion, the refs that call bad games involving the Oilers are:
Rooney
Schlenker
Hanson
McIsaac
St. Laurent
Pollock
Ghislain Hebert (not Jean, who is the other ref tonight. Jean is pretty decent most of the time)
Lee
Chmielewski
Furlatt
Skillitor
Dwyer
Luxmore
Nicholson

Quite a list but they’re all shit refs, especially the first 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Fourier responding to your post in the PGT, I never saw the final against the Flyers, nor was I alive to watch the 80s Oilers. I did see game 7 of the final against the Hurricanes. That was definitely stressful but at that point in time, my heart wasn't fully invested in the team. After that run, I became a fanatic and unfortunately we sucked from that point until 2017.

I'm perfectly calm now but come puck drop... Oh boy. This game could very well determine if Draisaitl and McDavid stay in Edmonton. Guess for now we sit tight and wait.
View attachment 873515
87 7th game final was nerves personified. Starting when the crooks at the willcall booth tried to pretend they couldn't find my 8 tickets, or alternately they had no record of the transaction. This being before tech and internet. Knew it was a scam. Person at front was trying to scam me out of my bought tickets so they could have them or sell them for profit. f***ers. Needed to have confirmation number, Visa transaction verification, the exact section, exact seat numbers, printed receipt, all of which I had on me because shit like this has happened before. Had to get a manager in there who apologized, for what we both knew was an attempted sham on the employees part, which I mentioned. Took us 15mins to get our tickets . Good thing we arrived early.

Had to go through that shit just to get in. Never trusted Willcall before or after. Back then if you bought the tickets through phone you could only buy with Credit card and only pickup through willcall booth at game. No other options. Then the suspense of the whole game.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
In my opinion, the refs that call bad games involving the Oilers are:
Rooney
Schlenker
Hanson
McIsaac
St. Laurent
Pollock
Ghislain Hebert (not Jean, who is the other ref tonight. Jean is pretty decent most of the time)
Lee
Chmielewski
Furlatt
Skillitor
Dwyer
Luxmore
Nicholson

Quite a list but they’re all shit refs.
Add Kozari and Cowell and you have it right. We can only hope that Hebert calls it fair because Rooney will be looking for any excuse.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad