Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
He inherited a mess that Sather created. A barren system, a team that had no shot an being a true contender, no cap space. He created space, brought in extra picks in a very deep draft and even has a prospect of two to show for it in a very short period of time

Has everything been perfect? No. Do we know his role is some of the bigger mistakes? No. But there is enough here to give him the opportunity that is in front. He will be judged by his deadline moves, draft moves, draft picks and what he does in the off season.

I kind of agree.

He inherited a team that hadn't drafted in the 1st round in 3 years (and wouldn't again in 2016) and had also traded away a lot of other picks and assets during the cup runs. And that kind of continued mentality burns you eventually.

But he also inherited a team (coming off of back-to-back ECFs) that had a young and fairly talented skater core. McDonagh was 26. Stepan was 25. Brassard was 27. Kreider, Miller, Hayes and Fast were all 24 or under. Even the "vets" like Zucc and Yandle were only 28. Buchnevich and Skjei were in the system. And he inherited the King, who still looks like himself 3 years later.

That's probably a better situation than most new GMs land in.

I like Gorton. As you say he hasn't been perfect but I think he's a good GM. I trust him with this rebuild.

But lets not make the situation out to be more dire than it was. He took over a situation about 500 times better than Sather inherited and we never went easy on Sather. I have no problem having him under the microscope.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gorton was clearly talking about buchnevich and Namestnikov zero doubt about that. Hard to find anyone else on this roster that dogged it after the deadline.

Reactions: Ori

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton was on with Michael Kay and Don LaGreca

Gorton mentioned building a team with youth. Young team.

LaGreca asked him if Lundqvist will be consulted on the coach. Gorton said no it doesn't work like that. Management will make those decisions.

It sounds like management wants Lindy Ruff to be an assistant on the staff.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Gorton said he was disappointed in some players’ performances in the latter half of the season
, and particularly the last week, when the Rangers lost to the Devils, Islanders and Flyers. He was especially bothered by the loss to Philadelphia, he said.
“I understand where players are, and that the other team’s playing for something,’’ he said (the Flyers needed to win to clinch a playoff spot). “But you know what? At the end of the day, we have players in the lineup that are trying to stay in the league that should be playing for something, too. And if they want to be here, they need to show that.’’

Gorton on Vigneault’s firing: ‘It’s time for a change’

Who do you guys think he was talking about?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Interesting that Gorton has specifically said they want to find a coach who can be flexible and that team toughness is an area they want to address, which both seem to lead into why AV was fired

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Also curious to know what players he was referring to during the past week. Hate to say it but feels like Zucc is in that group. Miller would have been the leader of the group.

I love that they want to address team toughness. No that doesnt necessarily mean fighting. To me that means not showing up flat in the first period for 75% of the season. Not looking ready to play. Getting blitzed and behind before people are settled in the seats.

I like Granato. Wouldnt mind Keefe. Peters as well. Those would be my three. MSL as an assistant would be great. CHARACTER. LEADERSHIP. Thats what this group will need moving forward.

Reactions: haveandare

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Also curious to know what players he was referring to during the past week. Hate to say it but feels like Zucc is in that group. Miller would have been the leader of the group.

I love that they want to address team toughness. No that doesnt necessarily mean fighting. To me that means not showing up flat in the first period for 75% of the season. Not looking ready to play. Getting blitzed and behind before people are settled in the seats.

I like Granato. Wouldnt mind Keefe. Peters as well. Those would be my three. MSL as an assistant would be great. CHARACTER. LEADERSHIP. Thats what this group will need moving forward.
Yes.

I got a text from my buddy who is a Sabres fan/writer and he was on the "leadership doesn't matter" train. He just came back today and texted me that it does matter and he was wrong. Nothing bothered me more this year than a lot of guys on our team here at times acting like they didn't give a shit. That has to stop now. These guys need to lead one another or pick one another up and show some character. Not just rah rah guys but they either care or get them off the team at this point.

Play like you want to be in front of the best fans in the NHL, play like you want to be on the best stage of the best arena in the world. Bullshit ends this season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think it also really bothered management when you had games like the Nashville one where some players got ran but the coach wouldn't let his team respond. I"m not all "old time hockey gotta goon it up" and all but if the other team is going to take liberties then you need to be ready to push back. In a top level league with the best in the world full of highly motivated and competitive individuals, you can't be the ones who just take it on the chin again and again and play the "it's ok we'll get them on the scoreboard" card repeatedly. You've gotta defend yourself and push back and AV wouldn't let the team do that and the team needs players to do that.

It's also dumb and I roll my eyes when others team do it but secretly I wish that the Rangers D would get some scrums going after the whistle when other teams whack at their goalies. Too often they just glide over and make a half hearted "oh ok you just whacked our goalie and tried to push him into the net but hte whistle was blown so nevermind". Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu that. Someone touches your goalie you get in their face

Reactions: haveandare

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You think the Rangers should've fired AV after the season in which they won the President's Trophy and lost in game 7 of the ECF? When Gorton wasn't even GM yet?

I was being sarcastic but not far off anyway, 2015-16 season.
I would've canned AV after the 1st round loss to the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad