Jeff Gorton talking to Pitt about GM Job

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If everyone is correct when they say Gorton is the mastermind behind the current NYR build, I don't think he would be a good for the Pens.

He won't fit their mold of building through the draft. Gorton has not shown that he knows how to systematically dismantle a team to secure a half decades worth of lottery picks.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't put much stock in this report. If Gorton was thinking about leaving, his name would have come up for other openings by now. His future was pretty well cemented in New York when he took AGM job and moved to New York three years ago. I'll believe it when I see it from a more connected source.

BTW...heard it reported today that Pierre McGuire May be GM candidate in Pittsburgh. That I can see. He was an assistant with Stanley Cup teams there and is good friends with Mario.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't put much stock in this report. If Gorton was thinking about leaving, his name would have come up for other openings by now. His future was pretty well cemented in New York when he took AGM job and moved to New York three years ago. I'll believe it when I see it from a more connected source.

BTW...heard it reported today that Pierre McGuire May be GM candidate in Pittsburgh. That I can see. He was an assistant with Stanley Cup teams there and is good friends with Mario.

he can drool over prospect X from Shattuk St. Mary or prospect Y from the Sudbury Wolves...

I hate how he gives every players background when talking about them.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
he can drool over prospect X from Shattuk St. Mary or prospect Y from the Sudbury Wolves...

I hate how he gives every players background when talking about them.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. It strikes me as pretty lazy. Telling us every youth team a guy ever played for does not equate to interesting background info. Do some actual reporting and maybe actually talk to these guys to find out interesting tidbits if you want to go that route.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
It is likely that this rumor is true. Whether he gets the job or not is another thing.

I believe that for 2013-14, Gorton has been on a one year option. Very unusual for teams to do that to an AGM. Can't blame him for looking elsewhere, as normally, an AGM would have had a long term extension by now (or actually by last season).

It would be a shame for Gorton to go elsewhere, he has been very good in NY.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, it's kind of annoying. It strikes me as pretty lazy. Telling us every youth team a guy ever played for does not equate to interesting background info. Do some actual reporting and maybe actually talk to these guys to find out interesting tidbits if you want to go that route.

Exactly. These are things I can google with my iphone during the game.

Can't stand when he goes on and on about what college team a player was on. It'd be fine if he did it once in a while but it is non-stop with him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It is likely that this rumor is true. Whether he gets the job or not is another thing.

I believe that for 2013-14, Gorton has been on a one year option. Very unusual for teams to do that to an AGM. Can't blame him for looking elsewhere, as normally, an AGM would have had a long term extension by now (or actually by last season).

He's a development guy kind of like Tom Renney. IMO--you always need a guy like this in your organization. Rangers have been trading away lots of pics and signing college free agents lately. Like pretty much everyone else here I'm hoping he stays.

Pittsburgh I know was looking at Patrick Brisson. Brisson apparently told them no--now they're looking elsewhere.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Leslie, what do you think are the chances that Sather hands over the reins to Gorton after this year? At least the GM reins, if Sather decides to stay on as President?

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Leslie, what do you think are the chances that Sather hands over the reins to Gorton after this year? At least the GM reins, if Sather decides to stay on as President?

I believe that Sather will remain President of the team. There are rumblings that he may give up the GM spot for next season, but, at this point, I am not hearing anything that is even near certain.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pittsburgh has a list of 6 or 7 candidates. LeBrun reported Brisebois of TB and McIver of Chicago are two names. Their AGM Jason Botterill is also a candidate. The Penguins haven't interviewed anyone. Who knows what the situation is with Gorton? His name was mentioned in connection with the Sabres GM job. The media mentions different names but are those names in play? Mike Futa was supposed to be a GM candidate but signed an extension to stay in LA. The Rangers don't discuss the contractual status of their executives and coaches. People knew AV got a 5 year contract because his agent leaked it. Tortorella signed an extension in 2013 and nobody knew about it until after he was terminated.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Louis Jean has some info on the various openings

French translation using google translate

Washington

The Capitals are looking for a general manager and a head coach. Usually , teams hire a CEO and allow him time to find his coach.

Now it seems that the owner Ted Leonsis could do the opposite. Caps are VERY interested in Barry Trotz . Is feared to see him go somewhere else and we want to solve the case quickly.

Among the candidates for the post of DG , we find Mike Gillis, Darcy Regier , Jay Feaster , Don Sweeney . However , Ray Shero and Paul Fenton seem to have an edge . Both familiar Trotz given their links with the Nashville Predators .

Pittsburgh

Pat Brisson is not ready to become CEO. So the candidates to replace Ray Shero are : Tom Fitzgerald and Jason Botterill , currently working with the Penguins .

The Quebecers Julien Brisebois, who works with the Tampa Bay Lightning , is a prime candidate to Pittsburgh. Norm Maciver and Pierre McGuire are also on the list .

BriseBois would be an excellent candidate to lead the team. But Jim Rutherford , President and shareholder of the Carolina Hurricanes , could be ready for a new challenge . He won a Stanley Cup with the Canes and went to three association finals.

It could be an excellent candidate for short term. The big question in Pittsburgh is that it is the future of Dan Bylsma with the organization? If it does not return, Jacques Martin and Guy Boucher will be two names to remember.

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/vers-une-saison-morte-mouvementee-23052014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad