Jeff Gorton talking to Pitt about GM Job

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Would be a huge dick-head move. A team shouldn't ever prevent someone from advancement. I hope they never bring back compensation for losing executives.

Generally I'd agree, but does it have to be a divisional rival? Imagine if it was the Devils, would that be ok?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Would be a huge dick-head move. A team shouldn't ever prevent someone from advancement. I hope they never bring back compensation for losing executives.

Prevent him from leaving? Yea, agreed.

If Dolan had half a brain, he'd be giving Gorton a raise and a promise he'll be the next Rangers GM if he stays.

But I doubt Dolan is buddy buddy with Gorton like he was with the other executives he kept around for too long even though they were ****** at their jobs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Generally I'd agree, but does it have to be a divisional rival? Imagine if it was the Devils, would that be ok?
If the Rangers want to keep him, it should be their responsibility to make staying attractive enough, i.e. give him a definite window when he will take over and pay him a GM's salary in the meantime.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If the Rangers want to keep him, it should be their responsibility to make staying attractive enough, i.e. give him a definite window when he will take over and pay him a GM's salary in the meantime.

Yeah. Sather won't be there forever. Gorton already handles significant responsibility. If he goes to Pitt he'll have Mario looking over his shoulder forever and Crosby's considerable ego to deal with.

That said, I was Pitt he would be at the top of my list.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

For all the **** I give Sather about not paying enough attention to the future of the team once hes gone, this would be a good opportunity to prove otherwise.

He should march into Dolan's office and lay the groundwork for exactly what you said above.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah. Sather won't be there forever. Gorton already handles significant responsibility. If he goes to Pitt he'll have Mario looking over his shoulder forever and Crosby's considerable ego to deal with.

That said, I was Pitt he would be at the top of my list.

I wouldnt paint Pittsburgh as this awful destination.

Its a helluva lot easier to build a team with Crosby and Malkin down the middle already.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
so best case scenario: we win the cup, Sather retires, Gorton offered GM promoted but does not get the carte blanc Sather has and apparently Phil Jackson does not. Does he take that job with the winner he helped built and try to build/continue that legacy or another one elsewhere where he can have more control with the league's best player (also one hell of a cap issue to solve)? tough call.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
So if Gorton goes to Pitt, who would Sather's successor be? Messier? Gretzky? I have to imagine Dolan will go after some big name/former all star. Perhaps the best case scenario would be if he lured JD out of Columbus, at least he has substantial front office experience.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
i think after this season regardless of the out come slats stays as president of hockey ops and gorton to GM. i think this has been the plan all along after reading the slather retirement thread with some of the media leaks

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
If Gorton goes, his replacement will be either Schoenfeld or Gordie Clark.

Hopefully, we win the cup, Slats retires and Gorton moves up.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I do often wonder just how much say Gorton has in these personnel moves.

If he can get a good GM job, good for him. The only thing that scares me about losing Gorton is Sather retiring and the void left for Dolan to fill.

Yikes.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I do often wonder just how much say Gorton has in these personnel moves.

If he can get a good GM job, good for him. The only thing that scares me about losing Gorton is Sather retiring and the void left for Dolan to fill.

Yikes.

This is why it seems like the best realistic case is Sather staying on as President of Hockey Ops.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I would ask him for a promise of right of first refusal. Go there. Here what they have to say...and then come back and let us beat it. We can pay our execs anything we want.

Again, Sather knows he can't have the job forever. It might be kind of nice to make most of the big decisions and let Slats take the heat for a few years.

Also Sather likes to make big signings? I can't think of a better one than Gorton.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
As someone who graduated from Pitt, I have to protest the use of "Pitt" as an abbreviation for the city or pro teams. No one here does that. The Penguins are "Pit." It bothers me to be associated with that organization.

Anyway, this would suck majorly, hopefully Sather makes it clear to Gorton that he's hanging it up soon.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Lets hope all goes to plan the rest of this postseason and end up winning the Cup, Sather would probably give retirement a long thought. Losing Gorton would be awful, I wanted him running the team when Emperor Sather retired. Since he was brought in to the fold this team has been steadily on the rise and the drafting has been a step up as well.

My worst fear is him going to Pitt and surrounding Crosby and Malkin with some talented yet under appreicated kids through the draft/college and let them prove themselves. He has a great mind for the game, he knows what he is doing, give him 2 years in Pitt and that team will be a hell of a lot better than they are now while perennially contending for the Cup.

A competent GM who can put the pieces together in Pitt with the talent that they have already? That does not bode well for the rest of the Metro Division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad