Jeff Carter vs. Anthony Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
CHaos2k said:
It's rediculous. I don't have to be a homer just because our opinions are different. You look up where I post and suddenly you know me and my opinion inside and out?

Uhhhh I never looked up where you were from. I made an educated guess based on your "Stewart hands down" comment. It turned out I was right.

I don't call everyone I disagree with a homer. But to me saying "Stewart hands down" is a homer comment when you're comparing him to Jeff Carter and Mike Richards who are both highly coveted prospects by scouts and as highly regarded as Stewart if not moreso by most publications.

http://www.chl.ca/CHLNews0304/0303.html

That's one example of where an expert panel saw both Carter and Richards higher than Stewart. Don't have my hockey news on me but I suspect Stewart wasn't "Hands Down" the better prospect according to that source either.

From an outsider perspective (my team doesn't have Carter, Richards or Stewart) your comment appeared to be a homerish one. Deal with it. I don't judge you on where you're from, I don't accuse everyone who disagree with me as being a homer. I judged you based on your comments in this thread.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
CRAZY_FAN said:
Daigle is not a bust because he was rush in the NHL, he clearly state on national TV that he do not like hockey that much. He actually wanted to quit hockey before entering the NHL but decided otherwise (probably because of $$) but that is another debate...

Players who don't eat, sleep and you can fill in the rest isn't a good enough reason for them flopping at the NHL level. The fact is that players like Mario Lemieux just don't come along every day. Lemieux in all his greatness, never really loved what he was doing while playing. He spoke openly at times of wanting to golf among other things. The fact is the game just came super easy to the man and he didn't embrace the experience while he was younger, and now in the twilight of an unbelievable career he has regrets of being so silly when he was younger. Your career goes so quick, but he didn't get it then, he does now. I realize that I am way off topic here, but I got carried away.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Puckhead said:
Players who don't eat, sleep and you can fill in the rest isn't a good enough reason for them flopping at the NHL level. The fact is that players like Mario Lemieux just don't come along every day. Lemieux in all his greatness, never really loved what he was doing while playing. He spoke openly at times of wanting to golf among other things. The fact is the game just came super easy to the man and he didn't embrace the experience while he was younger, and now in the twilight of an unbelievable career he has regrets of being so silly when he was younger. Your career goes so quick, but he didn't get it then, he does now. I realize that I am way off topic here, but I got carried away.

Agreed 100% !

Randall Graves*

Stewart, he was one of Candas best players in the WJC if not the best, he plays physical which is always a bonus with me.

Anyone who takes Richards over Stewart is biased...I can accept Carter.

Sammy*

RallyKiller said:
Stewart, he was one of Candas best players in the WJC if not the best, he plays physical which is always a bonus with me.

I am not biased & I take Richards over Stewart. I dunno about you, but 1 tourney doesnt really do it for me & certainly doesnt do it for me when imo he wasnt even the best guy on his line.
That been said, I wasnt a big believer in Marty Murray either.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I think Carter will eventually be one of the top players out of 2003. I forsee a big-time career from this kid, and he'll eventually be a top line centre in the mold of Mats Sundin. So yes, him.

I look at Stewart and think 'Rough and tumble 3rd liner'. The guy is a very north-south player, and I don't think he's smart enough to play on a scoring line.

Richards too I'd have over Stewart. Very smart player who just seems to do everything right on the ice.

Randall Graves*

Sammy said:
I am not biased & I take Richards over Stewart. I dunno about you, but 1 tourney doesnt really do it for me & certainly doesnt do it for me when imo he wasnt even the best guy on his line.
That been said, I wasnt a big believer in Marty Murray either.
I shouldnt have said "anyone who takes richards over stewart is biased" but I haven't seen much of a case made for Richards being better.

I think Stewart will eventually be a power forward who will score dirty goals.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
CHaos2k said:
Canada

No. Pos. Name GP G A PTS PIM + - +/-

12 F STEWART Anthony 6 5 6 11 2 13 2 11

9 F CARTER Jeff 6 5 2 7 2 8 3 5
18 F RICHARDS Mike 6 2 3 5 2 13 2 11

These were the stats, you tell me who had the best tourney of the three. I like all three but Stewart by far is the best. I watched every game of that tournement and I think I got a pretty good handle on the overall sentiments of each player. Stewart dominated just like Parise and you are going to tell me that you would take a Carter or Richards over a Stewart or Parise? Please. PP, PK and Even Strength Anthony played it all and exceled at every opportunity. He is just better. Sorry.

:shakehead

World Juniors aren't exactly the best and certainly not only determinant of a player's success. Brad Richards was absolutely brutal in his only WJC appearance. A Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, and a so far great World Cup appearance later and he's looking pretty good.

Sammy*

RallyKiller said:
I shouldnt have said "anyone who takes richards over stewart is biased" but I haven't seen much of a case made for Richards being better.

I think Stewart will eventually be a power forward who will score dirty goals.
I simply dont think he has anywhere near the skills to be much of a scorer, though I do agree that if he becomes a scorer, he will get his goals in the high traffic areas.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I think all three have fantastic upside and obstacles to overcome to reach it.

Out of the three, I would choose Carter but he is also the one who will be least useful if he doesn't figure out the NHL.

Stewart is awesome in his own way. But Jay is right. Not the smartest player. He's a beast though, and I have little doubts that he will make the NHL. If he can't make it big, the Panthers will find some role for this guy.

Mike Richards perhaps has the lowest upside of the three but he's still VERY good. And I think the Flyers (or any team he plays for during his career) will love this player.

They are three great prospects who illustrate why this draft may turn out one of the best ever.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I think pidgeon-holing Richards would be a big mistake. This kid has proven to be better than anyone thinks at every stage of the game. Say what you want about Stewart at the WJC's, but if you ask me, Richards was the engine that ran that line. He's got so much heart, and is all in all just a very, very smart hockey player. I think he will surprise and end up as a second line centreman in the NHL.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
RallyKiller said:

Exactly...

I like Carter and Stewart prety equaly. I do think that the physical aspect of stewart give him an edge.

Richard is a 2nd liner PK SP... sorry guys.

BJ21

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
CHaos2k said:
Canada

No. Pos. Name GP G A PTS PIM + - +/-

12 F STEWART Anthony 6 5 6 11 2 13 2 11

9 F CARTER Jeff 6 5 2 7 2 8 3 5
18 F RICHARDS Mike 6 2 3 5 2 13 2 11

These were the stats, you tell me who had the best tourney of the three. I like all three but Stewart by far is the best. I watched every game of that tournement and I think I got a pretty good handle on the overall sentiments of each player. Stewart dominated just like Parise and you are going to tell me that you would take a Carter or Richards over a Stewart or Parise? Please. PP, PK and Even Strength Anthony played it all and exceled at every opportunity. He is just better. Sorry.

Actually I would take Carter ahead of Parise. I bet alot of NHL teams would take Carter ahead of Parise. Now that you threw Paise into the mix, I'll include him in this ranking too.

1.Carter - Great 1st line upside, could be an NHL all star
2.Parise-A warrior, IMO will be a consistent 60 point producer
3.Stewart-Can beat you up, score on you, and has speed to boot
4.Richards-Another grate prospect, a good leader that IMO will be a Bindamour type

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
CHaos2k said:
Anyone that thinks Kingston could hold a candle to Kitchener is crazy. Name one other player on Kingston that you could name offhand that had agood season. Richards had a phenomenal year but when the best and brightest came together it was Stewart that raised his level of play. While I agree Dawes and Stewart had great chemistry together in that tourney I don't think the (I don't have every goal they scored in front of me) 5 points Richards put up carried Stewarts 11 and at most Richards 3 assists still don't account for Anthony's other 3 goals and 5 assists. I thought Dawes was the most impressive on the team but he still isn't as good of a prospect then any of the other three (Richards, Carter or Stewart) previously named in this thread. The only reason I brought the WJC stats up is because thats what was orginally brought to the table as "proof" for Carter and Richards being superior prospects.

Opinion is opinion and this is mine. I root for all the Canadian boys to succeed I just happen to think Stewart has a higher ceiling. We'll find out. Stewart is expected to play in the NHL whenever that is...

Eric Himelfarb Kingston Frontenacs 67 37 70 107
Anthony Stewart Kingston Frontenacs 53 35 23 58
It would seem that Stewert wasent even the top point getter on his team, actualy he wasent even close.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Puckhead said:
I beleive that Daigle is starting to realize this now as well

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really think Richards is getting the short end of the stick here. He's by far the safest player of the three. I see his upside as a playmaking 2nd line center who plays a great 2 way game and does everything to win. I see his downside as being a solid #3 center who plays both ways and can chip in. He just does so many things well it's awesome to watch. I think Mike was one of the safest picks in this draft, which is why I assume Calgary was ready to pick him at 9 if Phaneuf had been taken.

As for the debate, I also liken Carter to Mats Sundin and that's what I think his upside is. He's a great skater, a good goalscorer, and in philly he'll develop into a 2 way player or he won't play.

I'd take both players over Stewart and I'd take Carter over Parise. Parise's a real good prospect in his own right, but I prefer Carter's size and speed combination. I have Parise slightly ahead of Richards because of the higher upside, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them both as #2 centers playing against eachother for years.

1) Carter
2) Parise
3) Richards
4) Stewart

Which just happens to be the order they were drafted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad