Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Douggy said:
Two OHL boys, two Flyers picks.

Who will have the better career??

The Flyers didn't pick Anthony Stewart, they grabbed Mike Richards.

Stewart is in Florida.

BTW I'll take both Carter and Richards over Stewart. I think all three will have productive NHL careers.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers didn't pick Anthony Stewart, they grabbed Mike Richards.

Stewart is in Florida.

BTW I'll take both Carter and Richards over Stewart. I think all three will have productive NHL careers.
:banghead: :banghead: I'll edit my post. :banghead:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I am not saying they are bad prospects, but, lets not overrate their potnetial here.

Say what you want about WJC stats but if you want to only go by those stats then Stewart still wins hands down.

:dunno:

They will have good careers but Stewart is the only one with top line potential.

:teach:

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Carter, Stewart will have the same fate as Manny Malhotra. Play 4th line fiddle and eventually get traded, while carter will solidify himself as a 2nd line center.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
CHaos2k said:
I am not saying they are bad prospects, but, lets not overrate their potnetial here.

Say what you want about WJC stats but if you want to only go by those stats then Stewart still wins hands down.

They will have good careers but Stewart is the only one with top line potential.

Since when? Stewart hasn't shown anything more than Carter or Richards has. I see Stewart and Richards having equal upside, and Carter having higher upside. There's nothing wrong with me liking Carter better because I'm a Flyers fan, and you liking Stewart better because you're a Panthers fan, but you don't ahve to tear down another player just to hype your own.

Sammy*

CHaos2k said:

Stewart can skate well but beyond that & his physical presence imo he does not bring a whole lot more. IMO, he is the one guy whose upside is very limited but he will likely play in the NHL.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
CHaos2k said:
Bobby Clarke must've REALLY sold you guys on a couple of 2nd-3rd line centers.

Stewart hands down.

Huh? I've seen them live at the World Junior Camp and I'd take Carter out of the bunch. Looks to have #1 centre upside and looks a good bet to achieve it. Big, fantastic skater, great skills. I'd probably take Richards 2nd.

Lemme guess, Florida or Kingston fan?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Canada

No. Pos. Name GP G A PTS PIM + - +/-

12 F STEWART Anthony 6 5 6 11 2 13 2 11

9 F CARTER Jeff 6 5 2 7 2 8 3 5
18 F RICHARDS Mike 6 2 3 5 2 13 2 11

These were the stats, you tell me who had the best tourney of the three. I like all three but Stewart by far is the best. I watched every game of that tournement and I think I got a pretty good handle on the overall sentiments of each player. Stewart dominated just like Parise and you are going to tell me that you would take a Carter or Richards over a Stewart or Parise? Please. PP, PK and Even Strength Anthony played it all and exceled at every opportunity. He is just better. Sorry.

:shakehead

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CHaos2k said:
Canada

These were the stats, you tell me who had the best tourney of the three. I like all three but Stewart by far is the best. I watched every game of that tournement and I think I got a pretty good handle on the overall sentiments of each player. Stewart dominated just like Parise and you are going to tell me that you would take a Carter or Richards over a Stewart or Parise? Please. PP, PK and Even Strength Anthony played it all and exceled at every opportunity. He is just better. Sorry.

I'll disagree. Stewart put up more points, but Carter and Richards were more impressive IMO.

Richards and Dawes were the two best players on that line, and Stewart reaped the rewards.

Also Carter and Richards teamed up to provide Canada's top PK forward pair.

I like Stewart and origianlly was disappointed when the Flyers bypassed Stewart for Richards. Now after watching them both play, I'm more than happy with the selection.

Wondering why you failed to mention that Richards put up 89 points in the OHL this past season compared to Stewart's 58 ..... just an oversight I'm sure. :dunno:

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
CHaos2k said:
Canada

You go by one tournament to decide who's better?
It's not only about Stats you know.
But we'll see in a couple of years who will make the bigger splash.
For now, it's only opinion.

Reactions: Conbon

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
CHaos2k said:

You seem a little too focused on the present. What's important is how good these guys are 4 years from now. I happen to think Carter has the biggest upside and will be the best NHLer. Who is a better junior player is somewhat irrelevant compared to that question.

Sammy*

CHaos2k said:
Canada

I see you are a Florida fanboy, thats ok but it shouldnt cloud your objectivity.
In any event, Stewarts skill set is not that good . He's a big guy whose a good skater which imo allows him to be dominate smaller,weaker, slower players (ie juniors) but I do not think that skill set translates into a pro with a whole lot of upside. Your comparison with Parise is laughable. Why dont you just compare him to Marty Murray, he dominated at a WJC as well.
BTW, if memory serves, I think there were a couple of other guys on Stewarts line, but correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Huh? I've seen them live at the World Junior Camp and I'd take Carter out of the bunch. Looks to have #1 centre upside and looks a good bet to achieve it. Big, fantastic skater, great skills. I'd probably take Richards 2nd.

Lemme guess, Florida or Kingston fan?

For the record I am neither a Philly fan or a Panthers fan. Why is that as soon as someone insists one prospect or player is better than another, that they are that respective teams fan and not just stating their opinion? I like Richards, but Stewart and Carter will reach I higher level. I can see Richards being a 3rd line Centre, with 2nd line upside. I can see Carter and Stewart being 1st liners. This is simply based on what I have seen from these guys in their junior careers. I can't say for sure that they will adjust to the NHL game right away or even at all. Neither will make a splash right away, but with some playing time and experience I feel both will be huge contributors to their team. For the record I would choose Stewart slightly ahead of Carter at this time, simply because he will fill a need, and be given every opportunity right away in Florida. Whereas Philly can afford to ease Carter in and not rush him, letting him learn slowly. This normally results in a better player long term. Look no further than Joe Thornton, he got only 7 points in 55 games, his first season. Everyone blamed Pat Burns for not playing him enough, because he came with such huge expectations. Looking back now, I think Thornton is a very complete player with room to become even better. The same goes for Spezza in Ottawa. These kids dominate at the junior level and think they will obviosly do the same at the NHL level, but the way the game is played today says different. It is proven looking back at the last 10-12 years that rushing prospects usually stunts their growth as players, and sometimes it causes irreprable damage...Daigle!

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Puckhead said:
For the record I am neither a Philly fan or a Panthers fan. Why is that as soon as someone insists one prospect or player is better than another, that they are that respective teams fan and not just stating their opinion?

Because the guy IS a Panthers fan.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Puckhead said:
Why is that as soon as someone insists one prospect or player is better than another, that they are that respective teams fan and not just stating their opinion?

Why? Because he said, "Stewart hands down". It's a close enough comparison that anyone saying one of these guys wins it hands down is probably a complete homer for that player. He was talking the fanboy talk, didn't appear to be making any sort of unbiased comments.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Anyone that thinks Kingston could hold a candle to Kitchener is crazy. Name one other player on Kingston that you could name offhand that had agood season. Richards had a phenomenal year but when the best and brightest came together it was Stewart that raised his level of play. While I agree Dawes and Stewart had great chemistry together in that tourney I don't think the (I don't have every goal they scored in front of me) 5 points Richards put up carried Stewarts 11 and at most Richards 3 assists still don't account for Anthony's other 3 goals and 5 assists. I thought Dawes was the most impressive on the team but he still isn't as good of a prospect then any of the other three (Richards, Carter or Stewart) previously named in this thread. The only reason I brought the WJC stats up is because thats what was orginally brought to the table as "proof" for Carter and Richards being superior prospects.

Opinion is opinion and this is mine. I root for all the Canadian boys to succeed I just happen to think Stewart has a higher ceiling. We'll find out. Stewart is expected to play in the NHL whenever that is...

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Why? Because he said, "Stewart hands down". It's a close enough comparison that anyone saying one of these guys wins it hands down is probably a complete homer for that player. He was talking the fanboy talk, didn't appear to be making any sort of unbiased comments.

That's like saying you can never say anything positive about Dion Phanuef becuase you are a homer.

It's rediculous. I don't have to be a homer just because our opinions are different. You look up where I post and suddenly you know me and my opinion inside and out? I better never see you post anything positive about your own club because that will just be the homer coming out in you.

Do you see how ludicris those kinds or statements are?

I am a Florida fan that knows nothing right? I follow all teams and don't live anywhere near Florida, but I must be uneducated because I root for a southern team?

:joker:

Yep, you've got me all figured out...

Are the Flyers fans homers just becuase they think differently too?

Uh-Oh I think the Edmonton fans are hyping Robbie Schremp over on their board. You better rush over and take them to task for being homers too...

:lol

Last edited:

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Puckhead said:
For the record I am neither a Philly fan or a Panthers fan. Why is that as soon as someone insists one prospect or player is better than another, that they are that respective teams fan and not just stating their opinion? I like Richards, but Stewart and Carter will reach I higher level. I can see Richards being a 3rd line Centre, with 2nd line upside. I can see Carter and Stewart being 1st liners. This is simply based on what I have seen from these guys in their junior careers. I can't say for sure that they will adjust to the NHL game right away or even at all. Neither will make a splash right away, but with some playing time and experience I feel both will be huge contributors to their team. For the record I would choose Stewart slightly ahead of Carter at this time, simply because he will fill a need, and be given every opportunity right away in Florida. Whereas Philly can afford to ease Carter in and not rush him, letting him learn slowly. This normally results in a better player long term. Look no further than Joe Thornton, he got only 7 points in 55 games, his first season. Everyone blamed Pat Burns for not playing him enough, because he came with such huge expectations. Looking back now, I think Thornton is a very complete player with room to become even better. The same goes for Spezza in Ottawa. These kids dominate at the junior level and think they will obviosly do the same at the NHL level, but the way the game is played today says different. It is proven looking back at the last 10-12 years that rushing prospects usually stunts their growth as players, and sometimes it causes irreprable damage...Daigle!

Daigle is not a bust because he was rush in the NHL, he clearly state on national TV that he do not like hockey that much. He actually wanted to quit hockey before entering the NHL but decided otherwise (probably because of $$) but that is another debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad