Jeff Blashill - Half Season Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Thought*

do you have a link to an article or video where babcock said this?

Here is an article speculating it was a demotion after the PP was the worst in 10 years under Blashill.
http://thehockeywriters.com/red-win...d-to-grand-rapids-demotion-promotion-neither/
I couldn't find Babcock"s specific comments because google is now loaded with Blashill links after he became an NHL coach. I do remember Babcock saying he didn't gel with the vets and he needed seasoning.
An Mlive link where they also say it was a demotion.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/06/jeff_blashill_to_griffins_is_a.html

Babcock wanted to think outside of the box and make a bold hire, but it was a bit egregious to put a greenhorn behind the bench of a veteran team and expect him to elevate the play of some of NHL greats, who probably often thought twice about taking Blashill’s coaching to heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Even if it was a demotion (I think it certainly wasn't), he excelled at his new position well enough to be promoted to Head Coach of the freaking Red Wings. Now, he's coaching essentially the same roster to a similar record. There's been some bumps, but nothing to be majorly bummed about.

I mean I'd love to see Marchy in the lineup tonight, but he isn't because of Blash. I don't agree with it but I won't lose sleep over it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Here is an article speculating it was a demotion after the PP was the worst in 10 years under Blashill.
http://thehockeywriters.com/red-win...d-to-grand-rapids-demotion-promotion-neither/
I couldn't find Babcock"s specific comments because google is now loaded with Blashill links after he became an NHL coach. I do remember Babcock saying he didn't gel with the vets and he needed seasoning.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/06/jeff_blashill_to_griffins_is_a.html

Babcock wanted to think outside of the box and make a bold hire, but it was a bit egregious to put a greenhorn behind the bench of a veteran team and expect him to elevate the play of some of NHL greats, who probably often thought twice about taking Blashill’s coaching to heart.

The demotion thing is an opinion. Blash or no blash. That's a promotion in my mind. Running a powerplay. To running a team

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I took the demotion to the Griffs as head coach as a sideways move - as my head of HR says to people who want get on, a career is like a climbing frame, sometimes you have to move sideways before you can move up. Being HC in GR gave him the chance to be the main man with a group of men.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The month of January has been a disaster under the uber-pretentious Blashill regime! They've been outshot 184-145; that's being outshot by a 21.2% margin! What do we have to show in January with this 'new voice'? Smitty was a measly +1 while en route to his best year. Losing to LA is a joke...they're 22nd in the league in shooting percentage!
Why did Babcock and the traditional 1st round playoff exit have to go?

This concludes this segment of using worthless statistics to purport a baseless argument.

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Do you speak for the entire planet or just the Blashill apologists here? I am sure that many people who "dabble" in the english language would see the quote as pretentious. Unless they perceive merely landing the job as the achievement of greatness then there is no other way to interpret it. You are correct though. My opinion is that pretentious people suck.

The quote is a little cringeworthy. But then all motivational quotes sound like an insult to ones intelligence if encountered too frequently and one is a person with any literary appreciation because by default they are invariably simplistic to ensure they can be understood by those dull enough to need them. This however doesn't make them untrue.

Perhaps quoting Socrates' " we are what we repeatedly do" may have sounded more elegant, but a lot of professional athletes are not known for intellectual or academic intelligence, and of course there are many on the team for whom Engliah is a second language at best.

I agree it works better for younger players without deeply ingrained professional habits, but I can't imagine the senior players find any problem with it being on a team increasingly full of young players.

In my opinion Babcock's quote, when taken in that context it was utilised is just as trite despite its greater elegance. And it's quasi-religious tone would make as many feel uncomfortable as it would inspire others.

As for that wider issue, bar our new PP guy being worse than our previous one, a very similar roster is yielding very similar results. Larkin is a massive plus. Green has been a plus, Smith's comparative play is turning into a plus, and a Mrazek is a plus. Kronwall is a minus, Dats until recently has been a minus. Quincey's absence has been a minus, as has the LTIR of Franzen and his 0.65 ppg in the first half of last year.

Blashill seems less polished in some areas, and less able to force certain forwards into hard areas, but equally seems more proactive when things aren't working and less prone to pigheaded favouritism.

But with a similar record after 41 games means concrete conclusions cannot be made at this time

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
No one seems to agree with you, yet you persist. You'd think if your insights were so dead on you'd have a few people in your corner by now.

C'mon, Blashill is not a problem at this point.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Is this team great? No. But they are 3rd in the East and 7th in the NHL in points....they must be doing something right. :dunno:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Babcock said they were sending him down for seasoning because he wasn't gelling with the vets.
No, he didn't say that.

His only NHL experience was as an assistant and he sucked. PP was horrible just like it is now.

PP is horrible while he's an assistant... Blashill's fault. PP is horrible while he's the head coach... Blashill's fault.

Maybe it had something to do with Dan Cleary and grinder-version of Justin Abdelkader being Datsyuk's wingers that season. The team didn't have a lot of depth up front, just some old stop gaps like Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Lol yeah we're just supposed to take your word for it of all people :laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why is it blashills fault that the pp sucks

It sucked cause of the assistant coach apparently. Since it sucked when he was one Why isn't it the assistant coach/whoever that controls the pp fault now?

Actual Thought*

that's not speculation, that is simply an opinion by the author, whom isn't even associated with the red wings

Speculation the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Your probably right. It was an opinion based on firm evidence. Blashill's total failure as assistant combined with the fact that Frazer was voluntarily leaving to take an NHL assistant job is pretty firm evidence that it was a demotion.
Even if it was a demotion (I think it certainly wasn't), he excelled at his new position well enough to be promoted to Head Coach of the freaking Red Wings. Now, he's coaching essentially the same roster to a similar record. There's been some bumps, but nothing to be majorly bummed about.

I mean I'd love to see Marchy in the lineup tonight, but he isn't because of Blash. I don't agree with it but I won't lose sleep over it.
You are right. He succeeded at coaching kids after failing at coaching men.

The demotion thing is an opinion. Blash or no blash. That's a promotion in my mind. Running a powerplay. To running a team
The guy who quit the HC job in GR to take an assistant job in the NHL apparently didn't think so. He used to opportunity but it was quite obviously a demotion.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

*Citation needed

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Your probably right. It was an opinion based on firm evidence. Blashill's total failure as assistant combined with the fact that Frazer was voluntarily leaving to take an NHL assistant job is pretty firm evidence that it was a demotion.

Dude you have zero firm evidence. Zero. It's completely baseless speculation.

You think Grand Rapids is just full of kids? You continually destroy your own credibility. What's left of it anyways...

Actual Thought*

No one seems to agree with you, yet you persist. You'd think if your insights were so dead on you'd have a few people in your corner by now.

C'mon, Blashill is not a problem at this point.

Ummm? The entire hockey world outside of this crowd believes Babcock to be the best coach in the NHL and probably the entire world. Shanahan (a player who played for him) seemed to feel he was so much better than everyone else that he gave him an unprecedented $50 million.

This is a forum where Babcock wasn't good enough. This is a forum where you see posts claiming Holland isn't a good GM!

*Citation needed

Click on the link from the post.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way I enjoy the use of the quote as much as the next guy....

You don't think a group of men that have worked their ***** off their entire lives think a quote that starts "To Whom much is given" isn't a little insulting...

All teams have variations today, the downfall of Notre Dame football since the late 80's can clearly be traced back to the day they were all on the way out of the tunnel and really for the first time took a deep existential look at "play like a champion today"

Another big win for Blashill and the boys last night.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

The guy who quit the HC job in GR to take an assistant job in the NHL apparently didn't think so. He used to opportunity but it was quite obviously a demotion.

If you think the AHL is filled with kids and not men, I don't know what to tell you...

Actual Thought*

Dude you have zero firm evidence. Zero. It's completely baseless speculation.

You think Grand Rapids is just full of kids? You continually destroy your own credibility. What's left of it anyways...

MOD if you believe there is no difference in coaching prospects and coaching multi million dollar athletes I don't know what to tell you.

Blashill made the most of it but it was quite obviously a demotion.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

The coach before blashill said it was a demotion? You mean the coach that wasn't that good and would take anything? Yeah I'm not gonna listen to that guy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ummm? The entire hockey world outside of this crowd believes Babcock to be the best coach in the NHL and probably the entire world. Shanahan (a player who played for him) seemed to feel he was so much better than everyone else that he gave him an unprecedented $50 million.

This is a forum where Babcock wasn't good enough. This is a forum where you see posts claiming Holland isn't a good GM!

Holland is the same guy that has hand picked Blashill for years now. Holland has a fantastic track record in developing people, selecting them and getting the most out of them. Doesn't it say a ton that Holland thinks this highly of Blashill. He wasn't forced on him like Dave Lewis, Holland wants this guy.

People that think Babcock is the best coach in the league need help.... He is the best Team Canada coach of all time... Probably. He should be somewhere between 5 to 10 when evaluating coaches in the league. Obviously not bad, but the guy is not the same since McLellan left his bench and shouldn't be thought of the same way as Q, Sutter, Trotz.

Shanahan had to hire him, the pressure was enormous. It was honestly surprising since he hated his guts when he did play for him. Could see that coming back up shortly in the rebuild if it doesn't turnaround to their plan.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
MOD if you believe there is no difference in coaching prospects and coaching multi million dollar athletes I don't know what to tell you.

Blashill made the most of it but it was quite obviously a demotion.

I never said there wasn't a difference. Seriously, where did I imply there wasn't a difference? Don't put words in my mouth.

There was nothing obvious about it being a demotion. If you have a guy that you want to be the future coach of the Detroit Red Wings running your PP, what makes more sense for his future development? Continue running a PP, or let him run his own bench as a head coach for the farm team filled with future Detroit Red Wings?

So you believe Holland is a good GM? Do you know that Holland picked Blashill to be the future coach of the Detroit Red Wings years ago and really didn't seriously consider any other options this summer after Babcock left?

Edit: Babcock is a top 5 coach but he is not the best in the league. He had one Cup in 10 years with Detroit and almost cost us the playoff streak by playing scrubs like Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, and Cleary over Nyquist until he hand was forced by injuries. He did not blow anyone away during his time here.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

If you're of the same opinion as "the entire hockey world" then this thread becomes even weirder.

A new coach coaches his first half season in the NHL ever, and his team is roughly as successful as it was last year under the best coach in the entire world.

Now that you put it that way, it does sound praiseworthy.

You've convinced me, I'm now a Blashill fanatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad