Confirmed with Link: Jeannot to TB

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There is a decent chance that he is going to look better with TBL than he was on the Preds this season. That’s likely true of any of our players. So hopefully people don’t overreact if he starts scoring at a better pace than here.
I doubt we'll "overreact". We didn't lose him for nothing on waivers. And we HAVE seen him score 24 goals in a season before. So there's ample reason for us to firmly believe he'll score at a better pace there, and still be satisfied with what happened in the trade.

What a meteoric rise for that guy, though. That Covid year when we started some guys in the ECHL and then split the AHL with Carolina, before that started up, we never even mentioned him as a real prospect for us. I doubt we'd even have had him listed on our Top-20 prospects? Then he started shooting out the lights for the Wolves, got called up, the big Herd Line excitement, it has been quite a whirlwind for an unsigned overage free agent who we never had any hopes on whatsoever. Sad that it's all over this soon, but he made a huge impression here, definitely wish him all the best in Tampa. What a warrior he was for us! He won our hearts in record time.
:handclap:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Wow! Great trade for us!!

Two questions I cannot find an answer to though if someone can please help me out:

1. If the 2025 first is a top ten pick, does this mean we do not get a first in this trade at all?

2. Does Foote still have top 4 upside?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm sure Poile wasn't uninvolved entirely in the Jeannot trade. But I guess when everybody is calling the team and finding Trotz on the line, it was bound to get out. And this is a nice, typically Poile-ean, modest/humble way of stepping into the background and letting Trotz start off with a lot of accolades and appreciation coming his way too. It's even better than a mic-drop, it's Poile being Poile, all class.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Two questions I cannot find an answer to though if someone can please help me out:

1. If the 2025 first is a top ten pick, does this mean we do not get a first in this trade at all?

For 1, although it's not listed anywhere yet, I suspect it just means it bumps to 2026. Ad infinitem until we get a 1st that's not in the top-10. I don't think there's much reason to worry about that happening, though. Tampa is obviously fully invested in staying competitive forever (they have no picks), and their core group of Kucherov, Point, Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Sergachev is signed through 2025, so I doubt it will come up.

As for 2... I suppose anything is possible. Seems like long odds, Tampa has really been pushing to play him in the hopes he'd live up to their expectations, though, so it's not like he has just been lacking opportunity and lost in the crowd there. The main knock on him seems to be mental, that he gets too down on himself when he makes mistakes, doesn't learn from them, has never got on a roll with confidence. Which you can kind of imagine could happen on a Championship team with high expectations, where they can just staple him to the bench when he screws up and lean on all their big guns on D. So Hynes is probably going to fix all that... right. :) But maybe with the right coach next year, and if we are rebuilding/resetting/tanking there won't be as much pressure on the young players for flawless execution, so maybe that will be an environment that lets him finally flourish. It's not IMPOSSIBLE, anyway. Probably not likely. But not impossible.

Reactions: maplepred

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I think it moves to 2026 in that case. We definitely don't lose it.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

The full details of the trade conditions will probably come out later today.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I know some really dislike analytics folks but this one does kind of crack me up:

Even Analytics guys understand that real world performance in a different environment will not necessarily be a 1:1 in another environment. I applaud him for this part of the discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: hn777 and maplepred

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Tampa is making a big bet that Jeannot normalizes closer to last season's performance than this season's ... that it is the 5.8% shooting that is further from his eventual norm than the 19.4% last year was. If he normalizes as a 10% shooter, it's closer to this season and about a 12 goal guy. good secondary scorer but nothing like that rookie campaign. Place your chips ... roll those dice ...

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

1) Surely it just pushes to 2026 if so, but I wouldn't have much worry in TB being in the lottery.
2) I would say best case is he just needed a change of scenery/new org to re-find his way and then this deal becomes and absolute heist. "Worst case" he never lives up to his hype/1st round status and we still got 5 picks for Tanner.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Protected picks mean the team can choose to keep the pick and give the Preds their first in 2026. Doesnt mean the Preds dont get a 1st

Edit to add. Also means the Lightning cannot trade their 2026 1st until after the 2025 draft. Their fans are probably happy about that

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
1) Surely it just pushes to 2026 if so, but I wouldn't have much worry in TB being in the lottery.
2) I would say best case is he just needed a change of scenery/new org to re-find his way and then this deal becomes and absolute heist. "Worst case" he never lives up to his hype/1st round status and we still got 5 picks for Tanner.

I don't think there is any way this deal ever becomes a heist. It might shift from overpayment to equitable trade but that's about it.

Reactions: Armourboy

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
I don't think there is any way this deal ever becomes a heist. It might shift from overpayment to equitable trade but that's about it.

I don't see him becoming a 8mill a year forward. He shot 19% last season; most likely an outlier. His shooting % is way down this season as well. So I think he will be a really solid 3rd line physical forward that contributes 10-15 goals a season. Tough to lose him, but the Preds got a massive haul no doubt.

Reactions: LCPreds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't see him becoming a 8mill a year forward. He shot 19% last season; most likely an outlier. His shooting % is way down this season as well. So I think he will be a really solid 3rd line physical forward that contributes 10-15 goals a season. Tough to lose him, but the Preds got a massive haul no doubt.
I'd say 15 is pretty close to what he will average, especially if he can get some PP time and park his butt in front of the net.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Nothing wrong with that take at all. This is a statement a team in TBB’s position can make. They get help now when they are certainly in a position to add to an already overflowing trophy case.

I doubt anyone in Tampa is going to look back on this trade in 5 years wondering what might have been.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Nothing wrong with that take at all. This is a statement a team in TBB’s position can make. They get help now when they are certainly in a position to add to an already overflowing trophy case.

I doubt anyone in Tampa is going to look back on this trade in 5 years wondering what might have been.
Yeah and as others have noted previously I'd say it's probably more likely than not that out of all the draft picks we don't get anyone who even matches the type of player Jeannot has been this season.

Reactions: weeze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad