Confirmed with Link: Jeannot to TB

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Also enjoyed Briseboise comment on the trade:

Essentially says picks are worthless to us beyond what they can get us in a trade.

I suspect they have tabulated the exact probabilities of those picks turning into exact tiers of players, and... I did this over a decade ago but haven't revisited it lately... it really puts the value of picks into perspective. Because everybody loves to cherry pick the times you get a steal. But it's actually soooo rare. The numbers say the Preds will need a fair bit of luck to get even 1 player as good as Jeannot out of that whole heap of draft picks. If they do, great, but if they do... then they beat the odds.

So Brisebois' take is pure moneyball truth for his team where they are.

At the same time, I am a big proponent of the approach of stockpiling as many picks as you can and throwing as many darts as you can, like folks attribute to Carolina recently, so taking all those picks is still a good move for our organization where we are too, even while understanding just what the odds are of any of those individual picks providing us an NHL player.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The problem is less "is Jeannot worth those picks to TB" and more "what else could TB have gotten with all those picks". But of course the cap crunch plays into it.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I question absolutely nothing BriseBois does. That dude is a wizard. If he says Jeannot is worth that much in a trade, then Jeannot is worth that much.

Reactions: Zwui21

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I question absolutely nothing BriseBois does. That dude is a wizard. If he says Jeannot is worth that much in a trade, then Jeannot is worth that much.
The verdict is still out on BriseBois. Yeas he did bring in Coleman and Goodrow that lead to the first cup in the window but he had done nothing else so positive. He signed Sergichev, Cirelli and Cernak to inflated two year bridge contracts that lead to inflated long term contracts 12 months later rather than getting them locked down with one contract each. He has moved in from Johnson and Palat two of the three triples as long with Kucherov. He was forced to lose the entire third line of Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow. He did bring in Hagel at the deadline last year who did nothing until this year when he moved into Palats wing position with Point and Kucherov on hhat line, I mean what player is not going to benifit from playing with two generational players in a line. He signed a retread in Namestkov not a popular move. So what he really had done is benifit from a team Yzerman built over the years he was there. It is to the point now that JBB is starting to get into a corner needing to replace players with no cap to do it and none seem in the near future. This off season he will lose Killorn while already short a top six winger this will make two. Losing Max to Nashville left a top 4 slot and now Foote is moved and while he’s not top 4 guy he’s a warm body. He has really no picks to use or trade for two years now so all one can see to fill the roster is poor players on ELC’s that were drafted downstream due to the teams posit in the draft and washed out UFA’s.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He didn't buy out Myers, and then even extended him for another year. He is obviously not perfect. But he's still gonna have:

5/6ths of a fantastic top-6: Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Cirelli, Hagel
Great 3rd line: Paul, Colton, Jeannot
Appeal to vets to fill holes cheaply: Maroon, Perry, next crusty vet to apply

Fantastic top-2 D: Hedman, Sergachev
Also on D: Cernak, Perbix
Holes opening up again on D though!

Elite goalie: Vasilevskiy

It's enough to be a Contender for several more years. And that's not an easy thing to pull off once you've won already and salaries go through the roof and the hunger starts to fade. Shedding Palat, Killorn, Johnson, Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow, McDonagh... and are still a Contender despite that... something is going right.

I expect they'll keep going hard on European and NCAA free agents to basically make up for all the picks they've lost outside the 1st rounders. So it's going to be sustainable for quite a while there. Once Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy fall off, maybe that's 5 years or more, that's when things could get dicey. But sure, I question Brisebois... occasionally at least. Myers was a great gaffe for keeping things real on that front.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hes doing his best to maximize tampas chances of getting a cups while they have key players under contract. I salute his willingness to makes moves and spend assets.

Poile managed to take an undrafted player and turn him into several picks (including a future 1st round) and a former first round dman. Thats good scouting and asset management. Granted if jeannot signs a jarnkrok like extension, it wouldve been nice to hold onto him but it is a really solid turn around for poile

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
My number one concern with Jeannot is his durability. He plays a very physical game and everyone wears down after years of hits. This is an insane haul for someone that plays that style. Poile uses his last remaining Jedi mind tricks.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My number one concern with Jeannot is his durability. He plays a very physical game and everyone wears down after years of hits. This is an insane haul for someone that plays that style. Poile uses his last remaining Jedi mind tricks.
Decision-making as well, which I think will work itself out--too many penalties and also a bit too willing to take himself off the ice for 5 at a time.

Reactions: Gnashville

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Damn if losing in the Cup finals is pissing away a season I'd like to piss away more seasons.
This is the difference in the mindset of fan base that has not experienced a real cup window. This is not meant to be a mean spirited response, but the truth. The Preds fan part of me never experienced this with the Preds. It is a confidence that the expectations are there to win it all. The only other time. Have had that feeling was as a Oilers fan in the Gretzky years before the Preds were even a thing. And yes not winning that third in a row was a disappointment. Just as. Colorado has now there window is open and if they get everyone back from injury the only speed bump the have this year will be the Bruins.

Yes it is seen as arrogance, but even after all the years Leaf fans have it Pens fans have it even Detroit fans as pitiful as that team has been for a decade now still expect it.

And with Trotz coming in as GM I bet he has expectations to get the Preds to that point. But to get there he also knows the road is gonna be bumpy. He inherited a Caps team ready to win he had to rebuild a crumbling islanders team where yet here best player left rather than endure a rebuild. He would be well served to go out and get a Tortarella type coach to do this. Someone who will hold players accountable again and remove the stench of Hynes from the organization.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is the difference in the mindset of fan base that has not experienced a real cup window. This is not meant to be a mean spirited response, but the truth. The Preds fan part of me never experienced this with the Preds. It is a confidence that the expectations are there to win it all. The only other time. Have had that feeling was as a Oilers fan in the Gretzky years before the Preds were even a thing. And yes not winning that third in a row was a disappointment. Just as. Colorado has now there window is open and if they get everyone back from injury the only speed bump the have this year will be the Bruins.
So, in other words, winning a Cup doesn't actually make you happy, you just end up being even more bitter about things other folks would give an arm and a leg to experience?

Live a little, hon. Try experiencing joy for once.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I prefer a
So, in other words, winning a Cup doesn't actually make you happy, you just end up being even more bitter about things other folks would give an arm and a leg to experience?

Live a little, hon. Try experiencing joy for once.
I prefer a balanced team with ability to react to fill needs. When needed and not overspend on them, both salary and assets. I like the core the Bolts has but the past two years the have subtracted depth players in depth role heck even Mac. Who was allowed to play his defense first without scoring expectations. The same can be said with Ekholm they do what they do well.

The trick is to put a team together under cap restraints that covers all aspects. In 5 years Tampa I’d dangerously close to being where the Preds are now. They have no promising guys in the pipeline and I think have one pick in this draft a 7th. Not all that much better next year. They have too many NMC’s and NTC’s to backfill talent. That should sound familiar. They have a good development program with dwindling prospects.

Now what will be fun I want to see Nashville with Trotz rebuild this team from ground up. It’s not going to include one player currently on the nhl roster they will be aged out before the rebuild is complete. That’s been my frustration with Poile for years patches and bandaids to just get in . Sure in 25 years he put two flags up but was not a serious contender for the cup. Presidents trophy yes that’s great for the fans but they glammed out in the PO. The cup final lot of luck getting there smm mmmmm and a hot Goalie Pekka was lights out. But when have they been a threat to even make two conference finals? I think Trotz can get it done if he has enough years left. This team needed rebuilding process started two years ago. It’s going to take 5 years for Trotz o get it there. Look at Yzerman he built Tampa went to the Wings and is in year three now and still has a way to go. That is where my enjoyment comes from. As you know I closely follow 4 teams the Preds have bottomed out the Lightning have this last chance to play for a cup before they have to make some big moves. Buffalo is on the cusp of finishing there build they need stability in net and have a young goalie that may just do that if he could have stayed healthy this year they could have ran next year, Colorado was the cream of the crop last year but injury has kept them down but there going to get in and they will be playing the Bruins for the cup this year can they repeat I hope so.

I want the Preds in that rotation of cup winning. I hate Pekka never got a cup I hate Josi is not going to get one. It is not fun at my age to have a also ran. It is not fun to watch unmotivated players like Johansen nd to s point Forsberg the few couple years players that have that other gear that just does not get used all the time. One of my favorite players in the game now is Yanni Gourde he’s not the most skilled but he has worked in his game for years and has only one gear wide open. That’s what makes me happy about this game. What the Preds have done the last 10 years has in short just been depressing. The first 8 to 10 years when they were the underdog they were building that’s enjoyable. And the most enjoyable? The first playoff game in Nashville then the first time we beat the Wings in the playoffs. That euphoria was lost starting around 2009 thru even the Cup final was not as energizing. So I’m just a different fan.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
2EC4ECBC-DE8E-4763-9AE9-365C423665B2.jpeg

Seeing Tanner in blue just feels wrong

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I prefer a

I prefer a balanced team with ability to react to fill needs. When needed and not overspend on them, both salary and assets. I like the core the Bolts has but the past two years the have subtracted depth players in depth role heck even Mac. Who was allowed to play his defense first without scoring expectations. The same can be said with Ekholm they do what they do well.

The trick is to put a team together under cap restraints that covers all aspects. In 5 years Tampa I’d dangerously close to being where the Preds are now. They have no promising guys in the pipeline and I think have one pick in this draft a 7th. Not all that much better next year. They have too many NMC’s and NTC’s to backfill talent. That should sound familiar. They have a good development program with dwindling prospects.

Now what will be fun I want to see Nashville with Trotz rebuild this team from ground up. It’s not going to include one player currently on the nhl roster they will be aged out before the rebuild is complete. That’s been my frustration with Poile for years patches and bandaids to just get in . Sure in 25 years he put two flags up but was not a serious contender for the cup. Presidents trophy yes that’s great for the fans but they glammed out in the PO. The cup final lot of luck getting there smm mmmmm and a hot Goalie Pekka was lights out. But when have they been a threat to even make two conference finals? I think Trotz can get it done if he has enough years left. This team needed rebuilding process started two years ago. It’s going to take 5 years for Trotz o get it there. Look at Yzerman he built Tampa went to the Wings and is in year three now and still has a way to go. That is where my enjoyment comes from. As you know I closely follow 4 teams the Preds have bottomed out the Lightning have this last chance to play for a cup before they have to make some big moves. Buffalo is on the cusp of finishing there build they need stability in net and have a young goalie that may just do that if he could have stayed healthy this year they could have ran next year, Colorado was the cream of the crop last year but injury has kept them down but there going to get in and they will be playing the Bruins for the cup this year can they repeat I hope so.

I want the Preds in that rotation of cup winning. I hate Pekka never got a cup I hate Josi is not going to get one. It is not fun at my age to have a also ran. It is not fun to watch unmotivated players like Johansen nd to s point Forsberg the few couple years players that have that other gear that just does not get used all the time. One of my favorite players in the game now is Yanni Gourde he’s not the most skilled but he has worked in his game for years and has only one gear wide open. That’s what makes me happy about this game. What the Preds have done the last 10 years has in short just been depressing. The first 8 to 10 years when they were the underdog they were building that’s enjoyable. And the most enjoyable? The first playoff game in Nashville then the first time we beat the Wings in the playoffs. That euphoria was lost starting around 2009 thru even the Cup final was not as energizing. So I’m just a different fan.
https://i0.wp.com/usadultliteracy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/bandwagon.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Viqsi and triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad