Player Discussion: Jean-François Bérubé (Mod Edit)

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
going into this season without Halak would be a huge mistake..nobody else is even close to proven on this roster to start.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They don't seem to need Halak's money anymore unless they have some huge blockbuster trade lined up. I'm not holding my bowels for that. Also goalies get notoriously little in trade unless they are studs. It's usually a goalie for goalie swap involved. Outside of Bishop (who the Lightning would be crazy to move right now)and possibly Fleury (who I want no part of) I don't really see any scenario where Halak would return anything even worth picking up the phone for.

I don't think they care about rolling with three goalies and making the decision this time next season as the expansion draft comes and they only protect whomever proves to be a number 1.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Do not see any reason why we have to worry about losing Berube. We have a below average amount locked up in goaltending. Just waive him right before the season starts and hope he gets through. Can't see too many teams picking him up.

scott99

May 13, 2005
everyone is way to eager to put all the pressure on greiss and berube

Everyone keeps saying Berube is inexperienced, well how the hell do you get experience without playing a lot. Remember, Quick, Crawford, Holtby, Murray, etc, were all inexperienced, just needed to play a lot of games. Give the kid 35 games this year, Give Greiss 47 as the #1. Not saying Berube is as good as those guys, but you can't even find out if he's good or bad, if he's not playing.

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Everyone keeps saying Berube is inexperienced, well how the hell do you get experience without playing a lot. Remember, Quick, Crawford, Holtby, Murray, etc, were all inexperienced, just needed to play a lot of games. Give the kid 35 games this year, Give Greiss 47 as the #1. Not saying Berube is as good as those guys, but you can't even find out if he's good or bad, if he's not playing.

Agreed. I mean take a look at these younger goalies coming up and getting the no.1 jobs. Martin Jones, Matt Murray etc.

I'm hoping we see a lot more of him until Sorkin is ready.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

The National Hockey League is not intramural tryouts. Certainly not for a team that is supposedly peaking and wanting to contend for a Stanley Cup. You cannot simply pencil in a goalie with 5 NHL starts to all of a sudden start half the season. Not one of the goalies you mentioned were just handed 35+ games to "find out if he's good or bad." In fact I believe all of them were an emergency call up after one (or both) of the starting goalies was injured. And to their credit, they seized the opportunity and established themselves as NHL level goalies. Good for them. But for every one of those feel good stories, there are 10 players who remained nothing more than AHL fodder.

Berube may be the real deal, but he will have to earn it. I certainly hope the Islanders aren't forced to find out as that would mean an injury to the starting goalie (whoever that may be).

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
going into this season without Halak would be a huge mistake..nobody else is even close to proven on this roster to start.

Absolutely...If Griess turns back into a pumpkin and Berube turns out to be a mediocre goaltender, our season will be over before it starts.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The National Hockey League is not intramural tryouts. Certainly not for a team that is supposedly peaking and wanting to contend for a Stanley Cup. You cannot simply pencil in a goalie with 5 NHL starts to all of a sudden start half the season. Not one of the goalies you mentioned were just handed 35+ games to "find out if he's good or bad." In fact I believe all of them were an emergency call up after one (or both) of the starting goalies was injured. And to their credit, they seized the opportunity and established themselves as NHL level goalies. Good for them. But for every one of those feel good stories, there are 10 players who remained nothing more than AHL fodder.

Berube may be the real deal, but he will have to earn it. I certainly hope the Islanders aren't forced to find out as that would mean an injury to the starting goalie (whoever that may be).

How many NHL appearances did Murray have before he was given the reigns on a team that is better than our Islanders ? AND they won the Cup with him. BTW, I'll answer that question, Murray had 13 NHL appearances before the playoffs, all this year.

Berube is a year older, and has had a TON of AHL starts. I have a feeling you are wrong about him not being able to start 35 games this season. I also feel the Islanders will go with him as the backup this season, Halak or Greiss will be traded.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Agreed. I mean take a look at these younger goalies coming up and getting the no.1 jobs. Martin Jones, Matt Murray etc.

I'm hoping we see a lot more of him until Sorkin is ready.

Exactly, all the naysayers are saying you cant give Berube the starts, Jones and Murray were in the same place last year as Berube was. Untested goalies. And I'm not even saying Berube will jump to starting goalie like Jones and Martin did, just saying Berube will be the backup. No way do they start the regular season with 3 goalies. And obviously the Isle's brass feel very strong about Berube, otherwise he would have been gone already (waivers or not re-signed).

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
How many NHL appearances did Murray have before he was given the reigns on a team that is better than our Islanders ? AND they won the Cup with him. BTW, I'll answer that question, Murray had 13 NHL appearances before the playoffs, all this year.

Berube is a year older, and has had a TON of AHL starts. I have a feeling you are wrong about him not being able to start 35 games this season. I also feel the Islanders will go with him as the backup this season, Halak or Greiss will be traded.

Scott with all due respect, there is alot wrong with what your saying and you are failing to acknowledge what he said after the sentence you bolded.

Murray was given the crease due to injury when MAF, a Stanley Cup winner and bonafide starter went down. This is a completely different scenario. He happened to prove himself and they rode the hot goaltender.

We have a career backup in Greiss and an AHL guy. Just because Berube got a lot of starts in the AHL doesn't mean he is ready or capable of facing NHL competition. How many James Neal wristers has he seen? Tarasenko Breakaways? Capitals Powerplays? Monahan- Gaudreau 2-on-1's?

This is a big step up from the AHL a league populated by the Matt Donovan's and Sebastion Collbergs of the world. They can start Berube 65 games this year, it doesn't mean we'll win with him in net. I don't know why Snow or you for that matter are so sold on Berube. He spent the majority of last season scrimmaging. I think trading Halak is a grave mistake.

Halak-Greiss tandem is fine. If we need to move $, look to the middling middle-6 and their uninspired play. Waive a couple of those guys or trade them for a bag of pucks, but don't go into a season where your billed a playoff team with a career backup and a minor league player (that's what Berube is now).

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
seems like halak>>isles want to part ways but I dont think anyone bites until he plays a few games for team europe in the world cup / shows that he's healthy again.

its unfortunate that he couldnt handle sharing the crease at practice with a 3rd goalie considering the 3rd goalie was brought in for insurance due to his wonky groin .

anyways , I wish the relationship could be repaired between halak and the team but it seems like once snow sours on someone it doesnt end well .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think it's the combination of lack of experience and also the fact the #1 guy (Greiss) is also unproven as a starter. So carrying Berube as a guy to get 35 starts out of just adds a second question mark to the equation. Usually you don't have that many question marks about goaltending for a team aiming to compete.

The Murray example also isn't applicable since Murray wasn't given the job over Fleury, he took over when Fleury was hurt. And by that time, he'd already proven he could handle the job and so they kept going with the hot hand. They didn't just decide to give Murray the #1 role with zero NHL games experience and a healthy Fleury.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Murray wasn't "given the reigns" as part of an offseason plan. The Pens entered last season with Fleury cemented as the #1 and veteran Zatkoff as the #2. Murray wasn't even part of the conversation. Fleury started over almost 80% of the regular season games before he got hurt in April. And had he not been out with a concussion, would have been the undisputed starter in the playoffs.

Zatkoff didn't impress in the few starts he had, Murray did and was given the opportunity when the #1 went down. And obviously he did pretty well with that opportunity.

But no way was the PIT brass sitting around in July of 2015 discussing simply handing Murray the #1 job to see if he's good enough

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
so is Berube ok with how this season is going? I am surprised we have heard nothing from his agent about either playing him or trading him or waiving him/sending him down, he has played a total of 838 minutes over the last 2 seasons between Bridgeport and the Islanders, it seemed the Carolina game over the weekend would have been a perfect time to give Berube the start given how the Islanders were playing 3 games in about 3 1/2 days

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
so is Berube ok with how this season is going? I am surprised we have heard nothing from his agent about either playing him or trading him or waiving him/sending him down, he has played a total of 838 minutes over the last 2 seasons between Bridgeport and the Islanders, it seemed the Carolina game over the weekend would have been a perfect time to give Berube the start given how the Islanders were playing 3 games in about 3 1/2 days

I saw this bump and thought, wow that's interesting. I think he's ok making NHL salary. I don't think this guy would be starting anywhere else, so making NHL money may be enough to keep him content.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

His agent is Halak's agent. I think a lot of the statements Walsh made would be echoed by Berube, but Walsh knows that Berube doesn't have any leverage.

I think at this point, given how the season has gone, Berube is hoping to play 15 or so more games. He has played 8 NHL games so far (I believe only games he plays 30+ minutes count) and if he plays 28, he becomes a restricted free agent. I think his best bet at this point is to get some playing time to show what he can do, but not enough to lose UFA status. (I say 15 because you know if he is anywhere close to 28 at the end of the season they will play him every day to retain his rights).

I would expect Berube to stay quiet at this point. He will get some games, and then make up his mind in the offseason as to what he will do. Given that the Isles will likely have a whole new regime in place in the offseason, he may very well re-sign if the new group is interested.

The interesting thing right now is that Greiss is already a pending UFA. Obviously, the Isles want to re-sign him (whether that should be a priority is debatable). So, they need to worry about making him happy right now more than Berube.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The interesting thing right now is that Greiss is already a pending UFA. Obviously, the Isles want to re-sign him (whether that should be a priority is debatable). So, they need to worry about making him happy right now more than Berube.

Which teams would be interested in Greiss, CGY, OTT, TBL, VAN, WPG ?

If I were Greiss, Tampa would be interesting. On the other hand if he likes it here it's easy for him to stay. He knows Halak will be out sooner or later.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Which teams would be interested in Greiss, CGY, OTT, TBL, VAN, WPG ?

If I were Greiss, Tampa would be interesting. On the other hand if he likes it here it's easy for him to stay. He knows Halak will be out sooner or later.

Well, I assume Greiss will want to start, which would rule out TB and Ott as they will go with Vasilivesky and Anderson. I think Calgary will re-sign Johnson, but they could look.

Vancouver could look for a 1B to pair with Markstrom. Nobody ever knows what Winnipeg will do in goal. Same with Dallas. Philly could be looking; both of their goalies are UFAs.

Then, there is Bishop and Miller who will be UFAs, Fleury will be available as well.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
His agent is Halak's agent. I think a lot of the statements Walsh made would be echoed by Berube, but Walsh knows that Berube doesn't have any leverage.

I think at this point, given how the season has gone, Berube is hoping to play 15 or so more games. He has played 8 NHL games so far (I believe only games he plays 30+ minutes count) and if he plays 28, he becomes a restricted free agent. I think his best bet at this point is to get some playing time to show what he can do, but not enough to lose UFA status. (I say 15 because you know if he is anywhere close to 28 at the end of the season they will play him every day to retain his rights).

I would expect Berube to stay quiet at this point. He will get some games, and then make up his mind in the offseason as to what he will do. Given that the Isles will likely have a whole new regime in place in the offseason, he may very well re-sign if the new group is interested.

Berube's issue is that the Isles paid him a one-way deal, ie. NHL salary. The Isles could offer him a 2/3yr one-way contract, yet he still ends up in the same jam. Isles want to retain Greiss and still have a signed Halak in the minors. I just don't see how Berube is comfortable with that.

If the Isles resign Greiss, then that just makes the situation more 'up in the air' unless Isles somehow move Halak.

It's pathetic that the Isles engaged in this entire 3-goalie thing AND the end result is the reason for it will most likely be a UFA.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Berube's issue is that the Isles paid him a one-way deal, ie. NHL salary. The Isles could offer him a 2/3yr one-way contract, yet he still ends up in the same jam. Isles want to retain Greiss and still have a signed Halak in the minors. I just don't see how Berube is comfortable with that.

If the Isles resign Greiss, then that just makes the situation more 'up in the air' unless Isles somehow move Halak.

It's pathetic that the Isles engaged in this entire 3-goalie thing AND the end result is the reason for it will most likely be a UFA.

Yup. Maybe not the biggest, but one of the clearest screwups by Snow. Ok, he sees some potential in Berube. So what? The asset still has no value because he is a pending UFA with no track record. I really can't think of any reason for this other than stubbornness...Snow wanted to prove he was smarter than everyone else and hold onto Berube rather than risk him on waivers. Instead, he'll lose Berube and he killed any value Halak may have had.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00