Player Discussion: Jean-François Bérubé (Mod Edit)

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Seems to me, they will carry him into preseason and give him every opportunity to compete for the backup role. If he looks good, they will take whatever they can for Halak (within reason) and roll with Greiss/Berube. If he doesn't look like he can stand up as a legit backup, he will be waived.

Hopefully they see something we haven't. Be nice to have a cheap backup to Greiss' contract and they can further use that space on a need and still not have a significant dropoff in quality.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Doesn't really matter. JFB is out of options so he would have to go through waivers if they sent him down. Not likely he would make it through.

Staple said we won't be going into the season with 3 goalies, yes he has been wrong before, but I can't see it happening also. So I feel this almost guarantees there is a goalie that is going to be a part of a trade.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Doesn't really matter. JFB is out of options so he would have to go through waivers if they sent him down. Not likely he would make it through.

It does in that another team may not want to pay him a NHL salary while playing in the AHL.

On whether he makes it through or not:

- A team has to take on the risk of having 3 goalies
- Berube rarely played last year
- Must pay a NHL salary (NHL or AHL)
- Most goalie tandems are set

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I could see us waiving Berube right before opening night when most teams don't have the space to pull the trigger on a waiver claim. Send him to Bridgeport as insurance.

We signed Eamon McAdam this spring too.

Leaving us with:

Halak (NYI)
Greiss (NYI)
Berube (BPT)
Gibson (BPT)
Williams (MISS in ECHL)
McAdam (MISS in ECHL)

Perfect scenario if Berube didn't get claimed.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I could see us waiving Berube right before opening night when most teams don't have the space to pull the trigger on a waiver claim. Send him to Bridgeport as insurance.

We signed Eamon McAdam this spring too.

Leaving us with:

Halak (NYI)
Greiss (NYI)
Berube (BPT)
Gibson (BPT)
Williams (MISS in ECHL)
McAdam (MISS in ECHL)

Perfect scenario if Berube didn't get claimed.

I agree, absent moving Halak, Isles going to double down and pass him through waivers. His $675K salary (and cap hit) might be a deterrent too.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
If Isles moved Halak and do NOT get a goalie in return, then how are they going to proceed with Vegas?

- Greiss will be UFA (or most likely signed to an extension at that point, if he proves he's #1 material)
- Berube would get exposed - that's a LOT of movement around the roster to keep him for him only to be exposed.

* total wild card, here, but I see Isles protecting Berube in that scenario above, if his play warrants it.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Greiss+Berube would be a disaster. I like Greiss and all and he's a very good backup-but being a full time starter is a completely different ball game.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Two thoughrs:

This might point to Halak staying. If You intend on going with Greiss and Berube then you bring in Berube on a longer deal. This deal says you are not terribly committed to Berube and you have no one lined up to trade for Halak.

This could also suggest you see Sorokin coming in next Summer.

Or it could mean we read into everything way too deep. Lol.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Clearly try opted for a deal rather than signing the qualifier. A sign that Halak might be gone? Anyways it's a no risk move and it makes it easier for him to pass through waivers if needed

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
If Greiss/Berube is the goalie tandem then this is all kinds of LOL.

Garth is really on a roll this offseason!

And this roster is crowded even with a normal 2 goalie situation. Something is going to have to give.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
If the isles make the finals and raise the cup in the next 2 years it will be with Halak not Greiss
Between the pipes for the clinching game. He is a number 1 goalie.
Greiss was great but so was my wife for a brief time. Let's not under rate Halak.
He won the most games in NYI history 2 years ago .
I don't see us trading a goalie.
Waive Berube like mentioned as our last move before the season opener. Maybe with the NHL only contract he makes it down. If not the soap opera ends. Sorokin will be The man soon enough ,soon enough.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It does in that another team may not want to pay him a NHL salary while playing in the AHL.

On whether he makes it through or not:

- A team has to take on the risk of having 3 goalies
- Berube rarely played last year
- Must pay a NHL salary (NHL or AHL)
- Most goalie tandems are set

To send him down, he would have to clear waivers..... he won't clear waivers, so whatever team picks him will have him in the NHL. They cannot send him down for a full year (hence why he stuck in the NHL last year)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
you have to have a lot of balls going into the season with Greiss/Berube while trying to win a Cup, UNLESS you have been in Steve Yzerman's ear all summer and think you can get Bishop during the year.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Step 1: Keep Berube.

Step 2: Keep Halak

Step 3: Expose and lose Halak to Las Vegas in expansion draft.

Step 4: Keep other valued pieces in the fold since we can only lose 1 player.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Step 1: Keep Berube.

Step 2: Keep Halak

Step 3: Expose and lose Halak to Las Vegas in expansion draft.

Step 4: Keep other valued pieces in the fold since we can only lose 1 player.

Halak can be exposed either way, Berube looks like a typical backup type. If Berube is lost for nothing who cares.

Rolling with 3 goalies or Greiss/Berube would be simply awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad