Player Discussion: Jean-François Bérubé (Mod Edit)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No way Vegas would take Halak and a 1st. I would consider Halak's 5M salary a bad contract since he's not a starter anymore with his condition and injuries. So the 1st would be for the bad contract. 4.5M cap hit hurts Vegas because Vegas is only allowed to draft an max avg cap hit of 2.4M. Vegas should still have the draft choice, maybe CDH.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
So, what's the JF to UFA countdown at?

W/Isles looking like they are going run with Greiss a bunch the rest of the way. He's not going to meet his GP to revert to RFA.

i wouldn't worry about that. If the Isles want him they can sign him. I doubt he has much market value out there NOR immense value as a UFA. I expect him to be re-signed this year, if he continues to play well.

Isles have nobody else in the system. Looks like Halak is gone (I expect him to be bought out). Doesn't look like Gibson/Williams/McAdam are anywhere close to be NHL ready either, but they should get some playing time instead of Halak.

Sorokin is at least a year or two away.

If they don't go with Greiss, maybe they work out a deal for MAFleury or another established guy who can elevate the position.

I'm a big Greiss fan but you've got to look at all options. And I'm not sure anyone's doing anything until a new president/GM/coach(maybe) are brought in.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Imagine if he re-signs anyway?

I think this is exactly what is going to happen. As RB mentions, he has limited market value - someone is taking a big time flyer on him - yet, the Isles can 'pay him back' for dealing with the situation by a 2/3yr one-way deal. He'll sign that bc no one is giving him 2yrs, let alone a 3rd.

I see Isles doing 3/4yr for Greiss $12M/$15M and Berube 3yr $2.5/$3M. You get two goalies for $5M.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He'll re-sign for two years at around 1M per to push Greiss for starts.

Knowing the Islanders, it will be before they find Halak a new home and everyone will think they are going to go back to the three goalie system.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
If they don't go with Greiss, maybe they work out a deal for MAFleury or another established guy who can elevate the position.

I'm a big Greiss fan but you've got to look at all options. And I'm not sure anyone's doing anything until a new president/GM/coach(maybe) are brought in.

He was the team MVP last year and will probably lead the team to 8th seed this year. So I suspect the Isles will let him go to save a couple million.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Imagine if he re-signs anyway?

Absolutely. He hasn't been able to really make a market for himself and yet he's big making NHL money. I don't know what his contract is but it's better than AHL money I can tell you that right now. You know the front office has been a bit unfair in terms of starts but you know they value you as an NHLer, what about other teams? Gonna see 10 starts over the last two years and may try and put you in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad