Rumor: JD Burke: Montreal aggressively trying to trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Seems like an overly risky move considering how wide open the field is after Svechnikov.
I would assume it's similar to 2016 when CBJ locked in on PLD. They wanted to trade the #3 pick but wouldn't go further than #5 because that's what they deemed as far as they could go and be certain PLD would still be there.

Neither Edmonton nor Vancouver would give up anything to move up so the CBJ just stood pat.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
If they trade down you can be assured that the team that picks ahead of the next pick will give them a call and play a game of chicken with them. Why would you show your hand???

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Imagine it would be something like this? Pick values and teams are just for example:

ARZ 5oa + 3rd rnd + 5th rnd + handshake not to take player

5th rnd pick to OTT not to take player.

Hasn't this happened before?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit is the perfect trading partner for Montreals #3OA pick, Detroit can move the #6+#30 pick for the #3 pick Holland is really high on Zadina plus Kotkaniemi should still be on the board @ #6 win win for both Habs and Wings.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
JD Burke of the Athletic was on TSN 1040 and was just asked what the biggest buzz is in Dallas as he has been there all week.

His answer without hesitation....

Summary:

Montreal is locked in with Kotkaniemi. They LOVE him. They are trying to trade down to a spot where they think they can still draft him and gain some assets as well. He guessed top 8 is the furthest they would trade down.
JD burke also said if MTL cant find a partner then MTL will 100% draft Kotkaniemi at 3.

Given Berg said yesterday that's he's all but not trading the pick, we'll see. Kotka won't be there passed 5 the way things are going.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
First time I've ever seen anyone, on any sports site be critical of the Athletic other than the fact that they are behind a Paywall.

That subscription has been the best $40 I've spent all year.

Well, if you by public opinion around here no one is a good source of information. Lol.

Reactions: McTusk

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
First time I've ever seen anyone, on any sports site be critical of the Athletic other than the fact that they are behind a Paywall.

That subscription has been the best $40 I've spent all year.

I'm thinking he's never read the content on the Athletic.

Judging by the disparaging way he keeps referring to it as a "paywall site" I'm thinking he's upset it's subscription based content that he doesn't think he should have to pay to access and thus treats it as if it has no credibility for that reason alone.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Imagine it would be something like this? Pick values and teams are just for example:

ARZ 5oa + 3rd rnd + 5th rnd + handshake not to take player

5th rnd pick to OTT not to take player.

Hasn't this happened before?

If I'm Ottawa why the hell would I take a 5th rounder not to take a player I want in the top 5 of the draft... that's not going to be very convincing. No idea if Ottawa want Kotkaniemi or not at all honestly but I'm curious what they do if Zadina is taken (in example MTL swaps 3 for 5 with Arizona and the yotes select Zadina) what does Ottawa do?

If Bergevin really wants Kotkaniemi then just take him at 3 and be happy with it, seems way to risky to trade down honestly.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As for the paywall site, Just because you like it doesn’t instantly make it a reliable and good source. What’s his face there, Burke, is a no one. He’s as credible as the guy work g at my corner store.

So just because he likes the guy, it doesn't make him a reliable source, and yet, because you *don't* like him, he's just as a credible as the guy working at your corner store?

Now I get it. Only you get to decide if someone is credible or not and providing a shred of evidence for how you arrived at these conclusions is not part of the process.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What is a fair price, anyway?

The reason why I said that is because the one you're trading with knows you're after Kotkaniemi. They know who you are desperate to pick; the top center in the draft class.

Actually, I think a much more likely scenario, should Montreal trade down a few spots, is that they fell Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk and Zadina are of roughly equally worth and suspect that other teams value Tkahcuk or Zadina slightly higher so they are willing to roll the dice and pick up another asset to move down a bit.

If it means they don't get Kotk, they still get one of Tkachuk or Zadina, plus the asset acquired in the trade.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Linking two threads together: Montreal could trade down a bit, add a 2nd or something, and then move that 1st for ROR. 3OA seems like too much for ROR, but a 10-15 pick? Sure

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
The Athletic is actually pretty good and has a good roster of writers who cover all the major sports.

Some really good stuff on there.

To add to your point:

The athletic doesn't have the same incentives to release fake rumours. Their pay is from subscriptions, not clicks. They make more money from quality journalism than sensationalism.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The Athletic is a joke.
No reason for Montreal to trade down 2 spots for Kotkaneimi when they can just take him at 3rd.

So, if Montreal is trading down, that means The Athletic is a joke? They're reporting a rumor. What the team is trying to do has nothing to do with The Athletic.

Hockey journalism lol, right guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad