Rumor: JD Burke: Montreal aggressively trying to trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My guess is they want to trade down, get their guy and pick up additional assets to obtain ROR with. The 3rd OA is too much to give up so they need to trade a package of assets.

I doubt they can pick Kotka if they want ROR.

The value of their assers see a massive drop after that pick, no matter what lower picks/assets they get, Buffalo moves him for quality if they move him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Where does everyone have Kotkanieni ranked.

Oh my if Kotkaniemi busts then Bergevin will no doubt go down in infamy as one of the worst GMs ever.

This is a huge pick for MTL

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It's funny how upset you are because he's reporting something you don't like. Not his fault your organization is a circus.
Something I don’t like?
I could care less what Montreal does, except for the comedic factor, so maybe before you assume you should ensure your facts.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Montreal CAN'T trade down if they want Kotkaniemi. The problem is indeed that everyone knows who you want. Ottawa won't trade up because they know they already have Zadina at #4. Arizona would probably pick Zadina at #3, which leaves the door open to Ottawa taking Kotkaniemi at #4. You can't take that risk if you're Montreal.

This is a side-effect of an amateur organization. Successful front offices don't let things like this leak, since leaks can have major consequences, as Bergevin will learn.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If they trade down, then I bet Kotkaniemi is a smoke screen because if they like Kotkaniemi enough to take him at 3, there's no way they explore trading down, especially not within the top 8. Considering the recent rumblings about Kotkaniemi not being out of place in the top 5, and there being so few centers high in the draft, there's way too much risk that someone else will take him if Montreal trades down.

It makes me think that maybe they like a few of the D, and with it being a D heavy draft, they can drop down a few spots and still get one of their guys. It'd be a similar but opposite predicament that CBJ was in 2015 when they explored trading up to 4 to get their D, but instead opted just to keep the assets because they felt between the three guys available, they were close enough that they'd take the one that fell to them.

The best case scenario for Montreal might be extorting a pick from OTT with the justification to OTT that they'd be blocking a trade down with a different team. Similar to when OTT gave up a 3rd because they really liked Logan Brown. I'd be surprised if Ottawa would do it because as of now, the team doesn't have a lot of 2nd/3rd round picks over the next two seasons.

Reactions: Peter Puck and jw2

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Still not working that way. They want Zadina as much as you want Kotka. If Montreal see this price is not high enough they will just pick him at 3... There is not way Mtl doesn't win this trade.
If Montreal truly wants him, they will surely get him by picking him at 3. I just find it unlikely that they'll get to trade down while still managing that.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Montreal CAN'T trade down if they want Kotkaniemi. The problem is indeed that everyone knows who you want. Ottawa won't trade up because they know they already have Zadina at #4. Arizona would probably pick Zadina at #3, which leaves the door open to Ottawa taking Kotkaniemi at #4. You can't take that risk if you're Montreal.

This is a side-effect of an amateur organization. Successful front offices don't let things like this leak, since leaks can have major consequences, as Bergevin will learn.

Or...they aren't that high on Kotka, just making sure it appears to be the case...trade down, and pick whoever falls down to them, while acquiring pieces in return.

Just kidding. This is Bergevin, of course he will screw this up ! ;)

Reactions: BatVader

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Or...they aren't that high on Kotka, just making sure it appears to be the case...trade down, and pick whoever falls down to them, while acquiring pieces in return.

Bergevin isn't competent or clever enough to trick people like that.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

If they trade down, I’m betting they go after a D like Dobson or Bouchard

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I honestly think they're gonna get "Screwed" into that pick. Not that #3 is getting screwed, but if I'm Ottawa or PHX, I'm content not giving up assets and letting MTL rot with the pick and just grabbing one of Zadina/Tkachuk.

If I'm Detroit, I'm not interested in picking anything but a defender. (Although I get the ugly feeling that they'd take Zadina or Kotka if available) I think at this point the only one they risk being gone at 6 is Dobson. Still have Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist to choose from, so no value in trading up.

And I can't see MTL trading with Vancouver, as Vancouver is really the team that I could see actually taking Kotka. :laugh:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
H
JD Burke of the Athletic was on TSN 1040 and was just asked what the biggest buzz is in Dallas as he has been there all week.

His answer without hesitation....

Summary:

Montreal is locked in with Kotkaniemi. They LOVE him. They are trying to trade down to a spot where they think they can still draft him and gain some assets as well. He guessed top 8 is the furthest they would trade down.
JD burke also said if MTL cant find a partner then MTL will 100% draft Kotkaniemi at 3.
Hawks are rumoured to have the 27th in play. Maybe they want to move up?

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Montreal should just pull what NBA teams regularly do at the draft, draft the player and give him his hat, then immediately trade him to the team that picks Kotkaniemi. Not 1 for 1 of course.

Am I wrong here?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Do what we did and dont risk it... PLD over pool party because we couldnt risk losing him was the best choice we could have possibly made that draft.

Reactions: ohmyjlord

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Do what we did and dont risk it... PLD over pool party because we couldnt risk losing him was the best choice we could have possibly made that draft.

I agree. You like Kotkaniemi ? You think he's the BPA at #3. You pick him...I don't care if he's ranked 5th, 7th or 12th. You make him the #3 pick, and live with it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Sounds like it's the same exact situation when Jarmo obviously wanted to draft Dubois over Puljujarvi and couldn't make a deal to move down. I doubt Montreal will find a trade partner and guarantee themselves the prospect they want.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
actually Bergevin's real plan is acting like he wants to Draft Kotkaniemi because alot of fans, including me wants him... then he'll trade down and get minimal return but he knows he will get picked and he will proceed to pick he's real guy!! BRADY TKACHUK!

"it's not he's fault, some other team took him before him"

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BLOODLINE AND THE KARAKTER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad