Player Discussion Jason Spezza

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
People are just looking to place blame on someone. He has been miles better than last season and his hands and vision are back it appears suddenly and he is skating much better. Unfortunately he, like the rest of the team, just can't finish right now

He was our most dangerous player yesterday and played with Smith and Ritchie lol. He and Val had something good going

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't have a huge problem with him on his own. The problem is the lack of anyone with a scoring touch to play with him. He needs someone to provide the energy and finish that he can't at this point. It's why Radulov would be ideal there. Without that I don't see him grinding out 82 games effectively as a 2nd line centre on a team looking to make some noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
That salary though...IMO he is and always was overrated. This will be his last season as a Star, I just don't see them re-signing him. Although I would imagine if he does resign, it will be for a fraction of what he is making now.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That salary though...IMO he is and always was overrated. This will be his last season as a Star, I just don't see them re-signing him. Although I would imagine if he does resign, it will be for a fraction of what he is making now.

Yeah he said in an interview he doesn't even care about the money anymore and that at this point in his career he knows he isn't going to make much he just wants to win.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think he likes Dallas, but if far enough out of it sounds like it could be a sweet deal for everyone, including him getting a chance at the Cup. Stars turned Jagr into Jason D, etc. Would help the team to get something from him, although it would be a better scenario to have to keep him to help us get to and win in the playoffs.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Spezza keeps putting up the points and can maintain his level of play I have no problem with re-signing him to one year deals.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
If Spezza keeps putting up the points and can maintain his level of play I have no problem with re-signing him to one year deals.

At this point it seems like it's our only option unless Nill steps up and trades for a 2C.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I wouldn't mind it if he keeps this play up

"I have lots of money" - Jason Spezza

Amazing quote

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
He's a good veteran guy too. Very good attitude and if the price is right we should keep him at least an another years.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
As long as he's not a complete boat anchor I guess it wouldn't hurt to sign him to a cheaper 1 year deal. But ONLY if he keeps his play up. We're looking at a fairly small sample of good play after last years nose dive. You don't like to pin things on one guy but you have to think if he even gives us .5 PPG last year we're a playoff team. 8 goals 20some points is unacceptable for a player like him.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He puts up 15G 55Pts and is willing to sign 1yr 2.0 and you’re like “no thanks” lol

He had a terrible season with Hitchcock as the coach... don’t think that played a role in the numbers?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He’s going to be 36 next season. So yeah, I’m not overly eager to talk about extending him right now. There is a lot of season left to play.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Nobody is saying extend him now. If his play continues thru the season then yes I am all for a one year extension

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Given the worries about Spezza's back when he got here, granted, based on a lost season (5GP) in 2012-3, he has been pretty durable. Still, at age 36, I have to believe the odds are against him playing anywhere near the 82 game schedule either actually getting in games, or actually being fully healthy. It goes with being 37. Some guys do it, but it is really playing the odds. IF they signed him, my guess it would be to rotate in and out with some younger guy, perhaps against slower teams, which isn't a great $$ investment.

I could see the $1Mil re-sign IF Stars do well this year and just miss the finals or something, and they think his veteran presence would make some kind of difference. Still, he would likely be most tired and slow in an extended playoff run, which would argue against.

Loved the signing, loved the first few years, understood the regression last year under Hitch, and love the resurgence this year. Still, on pace for 16 goals, which is NOT the second line center the Stars need moving forward, and I don't see much value for Spezza on lower lines.

Hard to be so harsh on a great player, but that is how it seems to be, IMHO.

Reactions: Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Given the worries about Spezza's back when he got here, granted, based on a lost season (5GP) in 2012-3, he has been pretty durable. Still, at age 36, I have to believe the odds are against him playing anywhere near the 82 game schedule either actually getting in games, or actually being fully healthy. It goes with being 37. Some guys do it, but it is really playing the odds. IF they signed him, my guess it would be to rotate in and out with some younger guy, perhaps against slower teams, which isn't a great $$ investment.

I could see the $1Mil re-sign IF Stars do well this year and just miss the finals or something, and they think his veteran presence would make some kind of difference. Still, he would likely be most tired and slow in an extended playoff run, which would argue against.

Loved the signing, loved the first few years, understood the regression last year under Hitch, and love the resurgence this year. Still, on pace for 16 goals, which is NOT the second line center the Stars need moving forward, and I don't see much value for Spezza on lower lines.

Hard to be so harsh on a great player, but that is how it seems to be, IMHO.

If he puts up 50 points this year, you think he's going to only get 1M?

---

Some decent points are being made here, but if he keeps up this production, it's clear that last year was an anomaly. I'm not suggesting we give him another 7M or a multi-year contract, but 1 year deals at 1M each until he retires is crazy.

Reactions: Robert Kentwood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad