Player Discussion Jason Spezza

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You guys are cute.

Spezza's next contract path, provided he finishes with 45+ points:

3 years x ~6M (see: Patrick Marleau, Ilya Kovalchuk)

1 year tickets beginning at 7M+ and decreasing on a yearly basis (see: Joe Thornton)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Eh, with his comments and struggles last season I could see him taking a pay cut, closer to 5M (maybe even down to 4.5M if we're lucky).

Marleau's contract came after two straight 25+ goal seasons, and before that regular 60+ point performances. Toronto also seems to overpay on many of their signings.

Kovalchuk probably had somewhat of a bidding war, and he was regarded as one of the best players not in the NHL upon his return. He seems to be living up to that hype.

Joe Thornton had been the face of the franchise for San Jose for a decade - they were gonna pay him whatever he wanted.

It's difficult to speculate about until we have a better idea of his performance this season. I don't think Spezza sniffs 7M again in his career though, unless he leaves and a team is really desperate for a top 6 center.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
Don't want him back
I must say I didn't expect what he's done since the beginning of this season (contract year baby...) but it's time to see what we have (or not have) in our young centers before they become veteran youngsters or young veterans or....hey could you confirm me we really have future good centers in this team :confused::huh::help::D

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I don’t think the Stars have a future 2nd line center so if he keeps it up and wants to sign 1 year deals I am good with it

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I don’t think the Stars have a future 2nd line center so if he keeps it up and wants to sign 1 year deals I am good with it

Shore and Dickinson should be competing to play there. Seems to be the only competition anywhere on the roster.

Spezza has been good this season so far, but my gut tells me as the season wears on he will slow down quite a bit.

I completely agree, how much remains to be seen.

And I'm not sure if they should bring him back to play next year. He doesn't usually actively hurt the team's chances but are they better off letting Shore or Dickinson build a 2nd line?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
You guys are cute.

Spezza's next contract path, provided he finishes with 45+ points:

3 years x ~6M (see: Patrick Marleau, Ilya Kovalchuk)

1 year tickets beginning at 7M+ and decreasing on a yearly basis (see: Joe Thornton)

Too rich. He has to take a pay cut to play here.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I find it hard to believe that he signs in Dallas on a one year deal for less than 6-7M if he puts up 50+ points this season.

Well, I'm hopeful someone else can pay him that money. IMO, he's likely not going to do score 50+ points and even if he somehow manages to achieve that, he's not going to be able to repeat that next season. It'd be a waste of $6-7M that's better spent on raises or a new acquisition.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I find it hard to believe that he signs in Dallas on a one year deal for less than 6-7M if he puts up 50+ points this season.

Normally, I would agree, but he said in that interview that he has lots of money and doesn't care about making even more. Sure, it could just be PR talk, but maybe he's serious? Maybe he just tells Nill to give him a 1 year contract the day before training camp for whatever is leftover under the cap.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just 3 points in his last 10 games now after a hot start to the year...really hope this is just a drought like a lot of our team is going through /went through and not a sign of things going back to what they were. To be fair he still doesn't have good wingers to play with

He's on a 47 point pace which isn't completely awful but still

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Just 3 points in his last 10 games now after a hot start to the year...really hope this is just a drought like a lot of our team is going through /went through and not a sign of things going back to what they were. To be fair he still doesn't have good wingers to play with

He's on a 47 point pace which isn't completely awful but still

Wasn't he paired up with Benn on line 1 when Radulov went down? Granted he hasn't been given an appropriate linemate with whom to play during his tenure, save for maybe Sharp/Eaves (Nill is a fool), but recently whenever he's been put in a position to succeed, he hasn't done that great either.

IMO, this is clearly regression due to diminishing capabilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->