Proposal: Jason Spezza

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sens want roster players, we don't have roster players to give up for 1 year of Spezza. Though.... having Spezza centering Palat and Stamkos would be godly.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
Drouin could hit 70 with the right conditions for sure. Give him PP time and shelter him a bit as he gets his bearings and he could do some damage. Wouldn't bet on 70 points as a rookie though.

Yeah wouldn't bet on it.

And to the person above, very true. Even if we did have a spot, what are we pushing for? A rental that most likely is going to be injured half the year? If they are looking for roster spots ++, maybe Purcell, 1st round pick + Pick/Player. Only if we are pushing, aka before Bishop/Palat/Drouin/TJ/Stammer all get pay increases/ leave.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah wouldn't bet on it.

And to the person above, very true. Even if we did have a spot, what are we pushing for? A rental that most likely is going to be injured half the year? If they are looking for roster spots ++, maybe Purcell, 1st round pick + Pick/Player. Only if we are pushing, aka before Bishop/Palat/Drouin/TJ/Stammer all get pay increases/ leave.

Purcell, Malone and a mid draft pick, do it up Steve.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
If Purcell and Malone are not with us next season and we can't get Callahan we may have a lot of unproven players playing on our lines and little depth of veterans in case of injuries. At least getting in the conversation for a Spezza or another veteran wing or center may not be a bad idea.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
If Purcell and Malone are not with us next season and we can't get Callahan we may have a lot of unproven players playing on our lines and little depth of veterans in case of injuries. At least getting in the conversation for a Spezza or another veteran wing or center may not be a bad idea.

There should be better options for less than what Spezza will cost IMHO. Never really been a fan of Spezza, He's a skilled passer and probably one of the best in the NHL, but he barely gives a **** what goes on in his own zone. I don't think that'll work with Jon Cooper.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Hockey Central at noon said that Yzerman and Spezza were close so they thought that was a possibility he would be traded to Tampa. I assume he would be in place of Callahan.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
Not gonna happen, I guess.. Murray would be crazy if he trades Spezza within division. And a possible replacement for Callahan? Spezza is totally different player type (PPG player, almost no hits, bad defensive play).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not close enough for Spezza to get a sniff at the Olympics. I think Marleau is a much bigger possibility if the pricetags are remotely similar. We know what Yzerman thinks of Marleau.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If he is talking to Murray, hopefully it's only to touch base. I can't see us making any serious deal to get Spezza.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he is talking to Murray, hopefully it's only to touch base. I can't see us making any serious deal to get Spezza.

Seems to go against the two-way culture it seems Yzerman is trying to build.

EDIT: Bah. This thing seems to be heating up now. I don't understand it, honestly. If Yzerman makes this move, it might test my faith more than the Flip contract.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Guy had 17 hits this season. That still blows my mind.

And what would the pricetag be? I have to think Ottawa is looking at guys like Kucherov.

I really don't get the logic here.

If Yzerman really has made an offer, I hope Murray still has a bad taste in his mouth from the last time he got fleeced and walks away.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
And what would the pricetag be? I have to think Ottawa is looking at guys like Kucherov.

I really don't get the logic here.

If Yzerman really has made an offer, I hope Murray still has a bad taste in his mouth from the last time he got fleeced and walks away.

im really wondering here. Since st louis is preferred destination chance of a three way deal so we can grab shattenkirk?

We have the prospects picks to do something like this?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
im really wondering here. Since st louis is preferred destination chance of a three way deal so we can grab shattenkirk?

You could be onto something there. That would make a lot of sense. More than adding Spezza to our lineup would.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=30069&navid=DL|OTT|home

Bryan Murray-
I don't know if everything is on the table yet, a couple teams have made a presentation, I've asked for certain other things. I'm hoping it's not finished. I'm hoping there will be more we can talk about with the teams that are interested.
You don't win deals when you have top players and you trade them. You hope you get a package that helps your team or the future of your team. ...But, you may not get the same value in return. I'm not going to rush into it just for the sake of rushing into it to get it out of the way. I'm going to get what I think the value is for Jason Spezza.
I've talked to other teams that have centres, they don't know what they're doing any more than I do as far as what value they can get for these people. It does give a team that's trying to acquire one a little leverage, there's no doubt about that.
As I said I can't get the same talent back. There's nobody that we're talking about that's in the same range of player. You hope that you get a real good player and something for the future.
So I'm guessing the return they are looking for is a top 6 player + a good prospect/draft pick

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Purcell + Connolly? :sarcasm:
I laughed, but that's not too bad actually. Purcell seems like the only top 6 player we'd be willing to part with. Yzerman just said he sees Killer as a core piece, and I'd image he sees Palat and Johnson the same way. And Flip and Stammer aren't going anywhere. If you believe Purcell can still put up 60+ points playing with good players, he'd be part of our package.

https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke
Kypreos reporting that he hears TB is interested in Spezza
Kypreos "I hear a dark horse for Spezza may be Tampa Bay"
Kypreos "there seems to be a good relationship between Yzerman and Spezza"
Kypreos "maybe Yzerman looks at Spezza & sees a bit of himself? Very talented guy who can score points but unable to get over the hump"
Kypreos "people tell me that there seems to be something there between Spezza and TB"

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Spezza has more value then Shattenkirk so doesn't make sense to pay the price for Spezza to flip him for Shattenkirk. St. Louis could obviously add but why not just leave Ottawa out of it? Can't think the only way Shattenkirk is moved is for Spezza.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad