Tribute Jason Spezza the vintage king

member 298589

I had him voted as scoring the first goal of the series. It didn't happen, but he still has a great shot and killer instinct. Watch the replay of his Game 2 goal the way he read the play and jumped in at the perfect time, anticipating the puck before anybody else.

Reactions: The Cobra

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I had him voted as scoring the first goal of the series. It didn't happen, but he still has a great shot and killer instinct. Watch the replay of his Game 2 goal the way he read the play and jumped in at the perfect time, anticipating the puck before anybody else.
My whole family was glad that he got to that puck just before Simmonds did lol

Absolutely love Spezza... Class act on-and-off the ice.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think he is one of the biggest legit criticisms of Babcock. He’s been a fantastic role player addition and Babcock had this weird hesitation with the guy I could never understand. We’re lucky to have him, he’s been everything and more we could ask for. And I mean this in all seriousness, he’s so good that line is still decent despite carrying dead weight Jumbo around.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think he is one of the biggest legit criticisms of Babcock. He’s been a fantastic role player addition and Babcock had this weird hesitation with the guy I could never understand. We’re lucky to have him, he’s been everything and more we could ask for. And I mean this in all seriousness, he’s so good that line is still decent despite carrying dead weight Jumbo around.

I think Babcock has a power trip and he likes to show that he is calling the shots but putting down vets. Makes the rookies and young guys fear him.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Man, his skating was actually pretty good last night.

I don't think I've ever seen him skate like that with a Leafs crest on the front of his jersey. Pleasantly surprised.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I don't think I've ever seen him skate like that with a Leafs crest on the front of his jersey. Pleasantly surprised.
What an awesome camera angle, showing he jump the boards and fly into the play and score.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He's a quality skater which allows him to still be effective. His skating and IQ of the game let him get where he needs to be. Obviously his shot and passing ability ain't what it used to be, but he's still able to be a very effective player due to the skating and IQ.

Spezza is a guy that can keep coming back as long as he wants tbh. I'm sure he has a player development role locked up with us when he decides to retire.

Currently? I would be disappointed if he retired this year, I want him back next year.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think Babcock has a power trip and he likes to show that he is calling the shots but putting down vets. Makes the rookies and young guys fear him.
Some of these head game coaching tactics are real head scratchers. Guy is gonna finish his career with close to around 1100 pts, had always been a class act, signs for league minimum because he wants to be a Leaf and win here, shows up to camp early to work with the young players,just to be scratched the first game in place of who? Shore? I don't get it. Unless he was just doing it to spite Dubas.

Its like the Keenan situation with Hawerchuk. What does it accomplish with the players other than make them all lose respect for you? I don't see how it makes you want to play any harder for him.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Best contract in the league. What an animal. He does everything you ask him with poise and a smile on his face, even took care of the Captain when he was down because he recognized his voice AND started that fund for the marlies when they were not playing.

Just an all around stand up human being.

Love that he is a Leaf, and i don't care if Jumbo has been in the league longer, Spezza has been with us longer and played much better.

If we win the cup, it goes to Spezza second.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's pretty funny because I despised Spezza when he played for the Sens. I secretly hoped our guys would run him all game long.

Now, I absolutely love what the guy brings to the table each game.

You can teach an old dog new tricks....

Same here ... just hated him for years. My tune has changed on him completely :laugh:

Reactions: Carltons Cup

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He's a quality skater which allows him to still be effective. His skating and IQ of the game let him get where he needs to be. Obviously his shot and passing ability ain't what it used to be, but he's still able to be a very effective player due to the skating and IQ.

Spezza is a guy that can keep coming back as long as he wants tbh. I'm sure he has a player development role locked up with us when he decides to retire.

Currently? I would be disappointed if he retired this year, I want him back next year.
100%. I would have never believed 15 years ago that Spezza would be one of my all-time favorite Leafs. Between his performance last year in the play-in, his physicality and all around amazing play last night, and his leadership, this guy is a legend.

Reactions: The Cobra and Once

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I love the way he shoots. Something "pure" about the mechanics of his shot and how the puck flings off his stick the way it does.

Wouldn't mind him getting a few extra minutes on another line every so often, because I think he can be useful apart from his 4th linemates.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Spezza gets me amped man, I've been saying all year, if we win the cup he'll be a really big factor.

May just be me, but I feel like he could still be a really quality top 9 player. I hope he just does the Jagr thing with us and signs 1 year contracts until he's done. When he hammered home that shot last night I was hyped.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The 1st line has been dominant. The 3rd line was fantastic last night.

The 2nd line was just ok....and Galy was the weakest link there.

If the 2nd line can't get it going I can't seem to get this idea out of my head....

Foligno - Spezza - Nylander​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad