Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers (UPD: Dell claimed by NJ, Spezza Clears)

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Lol at the people freaking out over waiving a 4th line C, especially when you consider there is almost zero chance he gets claimed.

Dell is as good as gone though.

Reactions: Rob Brown and OVO16

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Do not like, do not like.

If Dubas truly felt backed into a cap corner with Nicky's injury, waive Bogo.
He should be taxi anyway.

No way Dell clears, and the Spezza waive doesn't solve anything to begin with.

My personal opinion, and I know I have been high on Bogosian simply because I know how important his style of play will be come playoffs, but if I had to guess, I would think Bogosian gets picked up much sooner than Spezza. He is a 30 year old with deep experience, a Cup and adds another level of grind when the going gets tough. At his salary, many teams looking to load up on the back end would consider him.

The chances of Spezza clearing waivers is probably fairly high.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yah he prob clears
Hoping Engval gets a chance soon, I like him and don’t know where he went?
Bogo isn’t a big deal to me but don’t get how other defenders didn’t get a chance after the first game he had, easily replaceable
I like holl but he should be our 3rd pairing guy

trade Freddy get a another top 4 legit rhd and Campbell will be fine

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Capfriendly says the Oilers only have $379,167 of their LTIR pool remaining.

So I don't think they can even claim Aaron Dell, can they?

As for the Devils, they claimed Eric Comrie from the Winnipeg, who is going through the quarantine period. Doubt they claim Dell.
If they waive Grosenick immediately after, no? Or is he not currently counted in that space?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Spezza is a guy you wanna have for depth purposes and locker room presence at this point in his career. Not someone who shoud be suiting up for you every night.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Wtf is Dubas doing? Spezza signed for peanuts cause he wanted to be here. One of the few guys on this team at actually have heart and soul. He was a solid 4th liner. f*** dubas

Reactions: PromisedLand

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Appreciate what Spezza has done for us (particularly the playoff series against Columbus) but it's pretty clear you can really only have one of him and Thornton in the lineup.

I'm fine with this.

Reactions: OVO16

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Losing Dell would be painful, there's a clear gap between him and Hutchinson. It seems likely we'll keep Spezza since he probably wouldn't report to another team. I could see someone like Winnipeg claiming him just to troll with the Leafs, but that could burn a lot of bridges in their front office so I doubt they would actually do it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If they waive Grosenick immediately after, no? Or is he not currently counted in that space?

He's not listed as apart of that yet I don't think.

Plus, if he is, Grosenick is doing the 14 day quarantine since he is coming from the Kings, so I don't think they are able to waive him or do anything with him until he's done that.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
My personal opinion, and I know I have been high on Bogosian simply because I know how important his style of play will be come playoffs, but if I had to guess, I would think Bogosian gets picked up much sooner than Spezza. He is a 30 year old with deep experience, a Cup and adds another level of grind when the going gets tough. At his salary, many teams looking to load up on the back end would consider him.

The chances of Spezza clearing waivers is probably fairly high.
See, I've been low on Bogo since the day we signed him.
Maybe I need to give him more of a pass, but I think he should be a taxi player. Call him up when you specifically want a little more grit, and think you've got the rest of the game handled, but I think the team overall would be better with Sandin, and hopefully/maybe/probably Lehtonen

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Well he added Wayne Simmonds which is a start. I think he also thinks he added a player of that caliber in Joey Anderson, who hasn't gotten in the lineup yet (maybe he will with Roberston out?). Zach Hyman is in the bottom 6 now. I also think he thinks Jimmy Vesey has some nasty to him too.

But idk. But you're right, Dubas has a ways to go to change the bottom 6

I've said it before, but it's too bad Clifford didn't take the Leafs offer. With his physical style, he and Simmons would made a great pair on the 4th line.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They likely want more waiver exempt players on the team. The injury to Robertson put these move in transition. This wouldn’t be going on today if he was healthy. That said, they need much more flexibility in the way of waiver exempt players. They could only move Barabanov out freely and replace him with a forward or it shorts the option to 7-11.
They need a way of getting Lehtonen in this lineup. Thats why this is going on. Thinking this is the end of it would be underestimating the how complex this will be to obtain a way of utilizing the taxi squads freedom of movement.
We need to be able to rest or protect the defense in case of injuries in short.
This is far from clear what they are ultimately trying to achieve.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I do think Spezza is better utilized on the wing. This news is still surprising though considering his signing back for another season. Ideally, I'd want to see Engvall return here, but... I imagine Dell might not have seen a start until the three gamer versus Vancouver in early February. I did (do?) like having that kind of depth in net. It wasn't going to be the best idea to continue to have limited options for roster reshuffling though. Given that both players are on expiring contracts at low money, injury situations around the league will likely dictate whether they clear or are claimed. I'd figure Dell to be the more likely player lost via the waiver wire.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Spezza should clear, although it would really suck if he gets claimed. Risking Dell so they can keep Bogosian is pretty brutal decision making. I would have hoped Dubas learned a bit from when he lost McElhinney and Pickard

Pickard was awful in the NHL so I don't think he was really missing out on anything there.

Having Dell on there limits roster flexibility a lot. It was never going to be a long term solution for the Leafs, but I guess now we are forced to hope a team like Edmonton or New Jersey are happy with their current options (Grosenick and Comrie).

Worst case, we lose Dell and we face an injury and have to turn to Woll, Hutchinson, or make a trade/waiver claim. Not ideal, but that is how it goes sometimes.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I've said it before, but it's too bad Clifford didn't take the Leafs offer. With his physical style, he and Simmons would made a great pair on the 4th line.

I agree. In hindsight...the leafs really didn't get that much gritter/physical like Dubas had promised. But we'll see if Joey ANderson can maybe make an impact

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How can he even say he wants to "emulate Tampa"? Tampa added Coleman, Goodrow, and Maroon to their bottom 6, and those guys are out crushing teams every night. What did Dubas do that equals that?

Tampa is also 3-4 years ahead of Toronto in their build. Toronto is still recovering and drafting well to refill the system.

Making those Goodrow type trades right now would be disastrous when we have no inexpensive talent in 3 years.

Also using Maroon against Dubas is just bad faith. Maroon wanted to be a a Lightning.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What gives Dubas. This seems like a bad idea unless there is a trade coming.

Roster flexibility. Dell on the roster for the entire season was not going to happen.

Spezza is more confusing unless they want to give Boyd or Brooks a chance, but I doubt either are going to perform better than him. More likely they don't want Spezza playing all of the time at his age, and he is not Thornton, so they want him rotating on and off of the taxi squad. That is not surprising, but I figured they'd keep him as the extra guy on their roster. This would be even better.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I agree. In hindsight...the leafs really didn't get that much gritter/physical like Dubas had promised. But we'll see if Joey ANderson can maybe make an impact

I think they definitely got mentally grittier which is a key aspect. We will have to see if that’s true over time, but I’m already seeing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00