Salary Cap: Jason Robertson's Contract

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
That’s interesting because I think Miro’s contract could/should be the new benchmark for the team: no one makes more than him. Like with Lidstom back in the day, I think.
Who knows what the future looks like but I think it’s a nice standard that’s been set for now. Wont knock him if he gets more - I understand it’s a business.

Reactions: JesusNPucks

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That’s interesting because I think Miro’s contract could/should be the new benchmark for the team: no one makes more than him. Like with Lidstom back in the day, I think.
It can be for now, but once the cap starts growing again, that isn't going to work, but I'd also be hesitant to say miro should be the mark for which all others are held to

Reactions: LT and JesusNPucks

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Whatever they do, they should do it fast because, if the Stars make the playoffs and if he turns out to be a gamer, you can just add $1M AAV to whatever the contract was going to be.

Reactions: Elysian

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It can be for now, but once the cap starts growing again, that isn't going to work, but I'd also be hesitant to say miro should be the mark for which all others are held to

IDK ... I honestly wouldn't screw around with Robertson. If the team goal is long-term, but they pull back on that simply for not wanting to go above Heiskanen, I don't think that's smart. You know going in it's possible that's where this is headed ... no guarantee for sure, but no one would be surprised.

If you're getting so far down the process and you see it's trending over Heiskanen's number, I think you just push through and do it. Don't derail something because of an arbitrary thing like creating a contract cap based on 1 player. They're not even the same player or same position.

I think you have a more serious problem with your team if either Heiskanen's ego can't handle another young guy being paid more than him or Robertson can't handle not being paid the most of the new core on the team. If it's a fair contract it's a fair contract regardless of the other deals on the books.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Already touched on it, but Kaprizov also had a LOT more leverage than Robertson does. His KHL angle was not something his agent just tossed around.

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The more you look at it IMO ... the more it starts to seem like Rantanen's deal is probably the best comparable. Initially, I think people are discounting his early production, but he's a full-time NHLer in his 2nd-year post-draft. The same season for Robertson he's leading the OHL in scoring. In his 2nd NHL season (3rd post-draft) he's a 29 goal scorer and over a point per game. The same season for Robertson, he's an AHLer. He follows that up with a 31 goal season and over a point per game on the wing (Robertson is just entering the NHL as a rookie). Rantanen gives up 4 RFA years and only 2 UFA years on his deal.

Colorado did an interesting thing for an RFA and front-loaded it, but if you look at the 4 lowest years, he's paid $31.5 million or about $7.875 million on average those 4 years. He's paid $12 million in the 2 highest years. Let's just sort of re-visit Kaprizov deal. As I said, you could say his RFA years paid about $7.5 million. He's getting $22.5 million essentially for his UFA years or about $11.25 million.

Robertson kind of falls between the 2 a bit when you think about it. Rantanen's career starts sooner than Robertson's. Robertson's career starts sooner than Kaprizov. Robertson has the most RFA years of both. 0If you sort of try and build it from those 2 ... give him about $7.75 for the RFA years and $12 for UFA years. That would be $8,458,333 AAV on a 6 year deal, $8,964,286 on a 7 year deal, and $9,343,375 AAV on an 8 year deal.

What's kind of funny is even Marner's RFA/4 low years average out to about $7.84 million.

Reactions: LT

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
In fact ... this is how similar Rantanen and Robertson are. If you just look at Draft +4 and +5 for both players. Robertson has a slight edge in goals per game (0.47 vs 0.43) and Rantanen has a slight edge in points (1.01 vs. 1.10).

This doesn't really mean anything in terms of why they might have similar contracts. I just thought it was interesting when you try and look at them at the same point in development ... they're that close. Those numbers don't include Rantanen's first 2 years in the league or Robertson's 3 total games in his first pro season to try and only look at years they both played significant NHL games.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
With Robertson, I think you lock him in an 8 year deal now, because he's still going to get better. This isn't even his ceiling.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Already touched on it, but Kaprizov also had a LOT more leverage than Robertson does. His KHL angle was not something his agent just tossed around.

I think if Kaprizov had as much leverage as his agent made out, he would have gotten a deal straight to UFA. He did hold out for a long time, but at the end of the day I doubt he wanted 5 years in Minnesota, so he got a good amount of money in exchange for longer term than he liked. I think Guerin called their bluff pretty well in the end. Robertson could easily just pull a Mitch Marner, who didn't need any extra leverage to get a big deal, he just needed to ask for the money because he's really good.

I don't think the KHL is that great of leverage nowadays. Even before recent events, the financial health was pretty suspect.

Reactions: Elysian

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
In fact ... this is how similar Rantanen and Robertson are. If you just look at Draft +4 and +5 for both players. Robertson has a slight edge in goals per game (0.47 vs 0.43) and Rantanen has a slight edge in points (1.01 vs. 1.10).

This doesn't really mean anything in terms of why they might have similar contracts. I just thought it was interesting when you try and look at them at the same point in development ... they're that close. Those numbers don't include Rantanen's first 2 years in the league or Robertson's 3 total games in his first pro season to try and only look at years they both played significant NHL games.

Rantanen's deal is f***ing weird, between the term and the salary structure. I don't know the team well enough to know why they went shorter than max years. Maybe Rantanen felt it was worth the risk to get another huge deal while still in his prime. The amount is about right, though, at 9.25M/year.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Robertson’s agent will probably try to use Marner’s contract as a comparable

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
This is what I’m thinking . I don’t think they will get that but that’s probably where they wanna start . Given the tax situation in Dallas he will likely sign for around 9.5m if it’s an 8 year deal . Robertson’s agent is not stupid , he knows what he has .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021

What's interesting, and I agree with them, is all the members of the media that discussed his contract (it was a hot topic after the weekend), brought up Marner and then indicated he was an outlier that wasn't useful. If Robertson's team gets focused on or won't budge off Marner, I don't have a problem with Dallas holding firm. He'll probably miss games next year. Robertson is great, but you can't panic and start throwing out a $10 or $11 million contract for him and remain competitive, especially when you have another potential monster deal to negotiate with Hintz next season. You absolutely have to be fair, but you can't be stupid or you're going to get beat up just as bad by Hintz's representation.

The other thing that's not insignificant is the taxes, all of the media coverage talked about this as well. Marner pays approximately $1.8 million more in Toronto vs. Dallas on average. Marner's big earner year was $15.3 million. He paid approximately $8.2 million in taxes. In Dallas, he would have paid about $5.6 million.

Every time this comes up, someone will pipe up that taxes don't matter, but the reality is the majority of the time you do see slightly lower AAVs for teams like Dallas, Tampa, Florida, Nashville, Vegas, and you'll see it with Seattle as well, especially compared to the Canadian market. It's why it is even more impressive that Poile gets away without handing out movement clauses. I don't like the Nill uses them like they're virtually nothing, but it's also a reasonable and expected result of taking less for a favorable tax situation. The only NMC that actually genuinely bothers me is Lindell. he basically got a market value contract with an iron clade NMC. Just didn't make sense. His agent really won that negotiation, and even if you don't like the contracts Nill/Janko hand out, they typically don't outright get blown out of the water.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm not going to slander my son but he does have a 20.4% shooting percentage and >12% on-ice shooting percentage.

Again no slander but I just wanted to point these things out before we start getting silly

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
What's interesting, and I agree with them, is all the members of the media that discussed his contract (it was a hot topic after the weekend), brought up Marner and then indicated he was an outlier that wasn't useful. If Robertson's team gets focused on or won't budge off Marner, I don't have a problem with Dallas holding firm. He'll probably miss games next year. Robertson is great, but you can't panic and start throwing out a $10 or $11 million contract for him and remain competitive, especially when you have another potential monster deal to negotiate with Hintz next season. You absolutely have to be fair, but you can't be stupid or you're going to get beat up just as bad by Hintz's representation.

The other thing that's not insignificant is the taxes, all of the media coverage talked about this as well. Marner pays approximately $1.8 million more in Toronto vs. Dallas on average. Marner's big earner year was $15.3 million. He paid approximately $8.2 million in taxes. In Dallas, he would have paid about $5.6 million.

Every time this comes up, someone will pipe up that taxes don't matter, but the reality is the majority of the time you do see slightly lower AAVs for teams like Dallas, Tampa, Florida, Nashville, Vegas, and you'll see it with Seattle as well, especially compared to the Canadian market. It's why it is even more impressive that Poile gets away without handing out movement clauses. I don't like the Nill uses them like they're virtually nothing, but it's also a reasonable and expected result of taking less for a favorable tax situation. The only NMC that actually genuinely bothers me is Lindell. he basically got a market value contract with an iron clade NMC. Just didn't make sense. His agent really won that negotiation, and even if you don't like the contracts Nill/Janko hand out, they typically don't outright get blown out of the water.
Do you have a link to the discussion where they said Marner’s contract is viewed as an outlier? I believe it, I’m just interested in checking it out.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I don't want to hijack Robertson's talk, but a two-way center who is leading his team in scoring just signed so it's at least worth mentioning.

McCann like Hintz is a year from UFA when the current contract ends. This is only comparable in the sense that it's the absolute basement .. it helps establish Hintz will be above $5 million. In reality though ... we already knew that. This is just further evidence so it's not that important.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Do you have a link to the discussion where they said Marner’s contract is viewed as an outlier? I believe it, I’m just interested in checking it out.

This is the only one that was written/not a podcast.

Toronto right winger Mitch Marner also signed a six-year deal in 2019 following a campaign in which he had 94 points in 82 games (1.14 points per game). Marner’s $10.9-million AAV will be touted by the Robertson camp as relevant, but it seems to be a deal that has later been viewed as an outlier given Marner’s lower goal totals

Gear: Projecting Jason Robertson's next contract with the Dallas Stars - Daily Faceoff

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not going to slander my son but he does have a 20.4% shooting percentage and >12% on-ice shooting percentage.

Again no slander but I just wanted to point these things out before we start getting silly
I imagine back to back Hattys probably gave that percentage a little boost .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

You're right, he's underperforming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad