Jason Garrison

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
Just checking on Garrison, this thread was awfully buried and it seemed like he wasn't bad for you guys early on. Has that continued? More importantly how has his transition play been?

Despite the extreme opinions of some fans Garrison was a defensive dman with a wicked shot in his time with Vancouver and IMO was 3-4 guy like advertised. Unfortunate that he had to go but with the structure of the defence the management group saw him as the guy to go.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He's been a good 2nd pairing guy. Still lets that monster shot loose and manages to hit people with it on occasion. Commits less turnovers than Matt Carle and Andrej Sustr, so that's good, too.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
To be expected of a guy like Garrison, he comes as advertised, glad to hear he's continuing his career with a good team.

But I'm curious is he the guy that pushes the play up the ice or is it his partner? That was part of the problem we had with him and the outside of $ the major reason people have thought he was dealt.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To be expected of a guy like Garrison, he comes as advertised, glad to hear he's continuing his career with a good team.

But I'm curious is he the guy that pushes the play up the ice or is it his partner? That was part of the problem we had with him and the outside of $ the major reason people have thought he was dealt.

When he's paired with Gudas, I'd say he's the guy that leads the transition, but we tend to have a forward pretty low to help with the breakout so it isn't something I've really taken note of.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
When he's paired with Gudas, I'd say he's the guy that leads the transition, but we tend to have a forward pretty low to help with the breakout so it isn't something I've really taken note of.

Thanks for the reply, and Ya that would definitely help. Also the canucks werent exactly known for offense in the time he spent here so it's quite possible that it made him look worse than he actually was at that aspect.

Hope you guys win the cup with him, would love to see the cup down on the wet coast again.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Im not fully sold on him personally. Garrison-Gudas allow 35% more shots against compared to 1st pair, despite having much lower competition and much better zone starts. If 2nd pairing needs sheltering its not really ideal way to go. I mean its somewhat worked so far but every game opponent is really competing it just looks so ugly so fast. Dont think his transition game is anything special either, just average, but as Gudas can move the puck aswell, its still working. I mean he has played well so far, but dont think his hockey IQ allows for much better plays than he's shown so far. Which is fine as long as he keeps the current play. And he definately looks much more comfortable playing natural left side.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So wanted to bump this. Garrison has been by far the most underrated pickup of Yzerman's in the past calendar year. The guy is just solid.

When we moved for him, I thought all we were getting was a big shot from the point. He's way more than that - he's been probably our most consistent Dman along with Stralman (I would contend maybe even better than Stralman). Really pleasantly surprised by him, and just want to give him some love.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
So wanted to bump this. Garrison has been by far the most underrated pickup of Yzerman's in the past calendar year. The guy is just solid.

When we moved for him, I thought all we were getting was a big shot from the point. He's way more than that - he's been probably our most consistent Dman along with Stralman (I would contend maybe even better than Stralman). Really pleasantly surprised by him, and just want to give him some love.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

While Coburn only have played 1 game with us (that I wasn't able to catch) I'm very happy with our top 4.

The bottom pairing has more to be desired, even for a bottom pairing. It's harsh but at times it feels like the only thing Carle does well is getting us closer to the cap.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

While Coburn only have played 1 game with us (that I wasn't able to catch) I'm very happy with our top 4.

The bottom pairing has more to be desired, even for a bottom pairing. It's harsh but at times it feels like the only thing Carle does well is getting us closer to the cap.

I can bet that the first thing Yzerman will try to do in this off-season is to try and trade him for picks even if it means retaining a bit of his salary which wouldn't be that bad :help:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Agreed. When both are on, Stralman is better, but I feel Garrison has been more consistent this year. Very good #4 defenseman.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I've been so surprised by his performance. I was expecting passable but he's been pretty rock solid back there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been so surprised by his performance. I was expecting passable but he's been pretty rock solid back there.

It's really telling on how awful morale must have been last year in Vancouver. He was basically a cap dump who's more than justifying his contract.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's really telling on how awful morale must have been last year in Vancouver. He was basically a cap dump who's more than justifying his contract.

I'd rather give Garrison the Carle contract than give Carle the Garrison contract.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Jason we are loving your play.

But just close your ears on the power play rush when Coop asks for you to make a backward pass to the center line.

It looks really bad and we know its not your doing.

icejolt18

Apr 10, 2014
How did we get this guy for a 2nd round pick?

Vancouver wanted to desperately cut salary for free agency (resulting in Miller and Vrbata).

They chose to move Garrison. He had a no trade clause.

He said he would waive it for two teams Montreal and Tampa Bay.

Limited options lowered his trade value.

Vancouver ended up flipping the second for Linden Vey.

Garrison is great. What a good pick up.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Vancouver wanted to desperately cut salary for free agency (resulting in Miller and Vrbata).

They chose to move Garrison. He had a no trade clause.

He said he would waive it for two teams Montreal and Tampa Bay.

Limited options lowered his trade value.

Vancouver ended up flipping the second for Linden Vey.

Garrison is great. What a good pick up.

It sure feels good to be a desirable team to go too. :handclap:

And it sure has paid off, Garrison's a beast.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
It sure feels good to be a desirable team to go too. :handclap:

And it sure has paid off, Garrison's a beast.

Ya we really can't understate how good this guys been for us. To get him for only a second was a major steal. Without Garrison this year, our defense would have been one of the worse for large stretches with all the injuries we were dealing with. I just hope he can find the next gear for the playoffs. He has some experience, which is what we need... that and a healthy Coburn.

As they say, sometimes all you need dumb luck and skill. This was a dumb luck situation to get him for the 2nd.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Garrison is just so solid. With Coburn back our defense is really good.

I thought some of our best games were the ones with Coburn in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad