Jason Garrison

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith
#tblightning assistant Steve Thomas on @J_G_5 (Jason Garrison): "That guy's got a leg breaker of a shot. He's got a bomb."

Well we did know that. Where do you guys see him end up production-wise? He'll probably get at least TOI with our 2nd PP unit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our 2nd unit gets scrap time at most. I think 5-7 goals, 25 points or so.

arsmaster*

Sorry for continuing to badger you guys, but who is his likely partner 5 on 5?

I'm a Canucks fan who was deeply upset that we moved Garrison for a measley 2nd round pick, so I will be paying close attention to your team (because they're exciting) and especially JG, all year.

Garrison picked up 18 EV strength points on the roster with the 28th most goals last year, so even just playing with a higher scoring team will see his EV strength numbers go up by osmosis IMO, not to mention the significant speed the Lightning have up front that will back defenses off and open up more opportunities to shoot without being rushed.

On Vancouver's PP last season they were stale, and every team knew Garrison's shot was the key to opening up other lanes, but being a LS with a primarily left handed unit, in which Henrik Sedin QB'd from the half wall didn't open up the one timer opportunities like they did when he played for the Panthers.

I think he's a sure bet for 30 points probably more depending on usage and linemates etc.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

I'm a Canucks fan who was deeply upset that we moved Garrison for a measley 2nd round pick, so I will be paying close attention to your team (because they're exciting) and especially JG, all year.

Garrison picked up 18 EV strength points on the roster with the 28th most goals last year, so even just playing with a higher scoring team will see his EV strength numbers go up by osmosis IMO, not to mention the significant speed the Lightning have up front that will back defenses off and open up more opportunities to shoot without being rushed.

On Vancouver's PP last season they were stale, and every team knew Garrison's shot was the key to opening up other lanes, but being a LS with a primarily left handed unit, in which Henrik Sedin QB'd from the half wall didn't open up the one timer opportunities like they did when he played for the Panthers.

I think he's a sure bet for 30 points probably more depending on usage and linemates etc.

Garrison's partner is projected to be Matt Carle. Liked what I saw from Garrison in the preseason game I saw him play. Didnt stand out but I was watching his speed because of his groin issues last year. He just looked solid.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Garrison's partner is projected to be Matt Carle. Liked what I saw from Garrison in the preseason game I saw him play. Didnt stand out but I was watching his speed because of his groin issues last year. He just looked solid.

I thought so too. But if Cooper doesn't play them together soon, I'm going to change my mind.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
wow since you mention it. I thought his shots are way off target. (by a lot)

but only going by memory.

Well, that info was out there from Vancouver fans already. I just remember hearing his name connected to a turnover (may have resulted in a goal against) when I was listening to a game on the radio the other night, and ever since then whenever I notice him on the ice it seems like he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. Maybe it's some kind of weird confirmation bias.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I think maybe with so much happening with the offensive lines and all that and eyes on brewer and suster that garrison might be flying under the radar.

I really don't have an opinion on him other than his wild shooting because I'm far from focusing on him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think maybe with so much happening with the offensive lines and all that and eyes on brewer and suster that garrison might be flying under the radar.

I really don't have an opinion on him other than his wild shooting because I'm far from focusing on him.

Give him a look tomorrow, I'm going to as well. Tbh, I haven't hardly seen anyone saying anything good or bad about him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I guess I am in the minority here, but I have been very happy with Garrison. I'm not seeing what you all are seeing with missed shots and defense. The fact that he's been invisible is a good thing.

Considering he led the team in ice time my guess is the coaching staff is happy with him as well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've noticed lots of small errors on his parts, and some bad decision making and he's not very mobile. I thought he was supposed to be a good offensive defenseman, his offense is kinda just limited to that big shot of his. Maybe it's the way Vancouver fans hyped him up a couple years ago, then completely dogged him last year, could never get a read on what kinda player he was supposed to be.

He's got a big contract, like Carles, both are signed till 2018. I doubt both play out their contracts in TB, but if I were to pick one I'd say Carle is clearly the one to keep.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed with Sky, but at the same time I don't mind him at all. I thought he's been solid for the most part and he looks kind of tough to play against in the Dzone. He's not Stralman, that's for sure, but he hasn't been a dumpster fire or anything.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Garrison has been solid. Haven't seen the wild shooting mentioned at all. If anything I'd like him to shoot more often but looks like teams are locked in looking to block his shot right away always somebody on him. Gudas/Garrison has been pretty steady all season - both of them don't have crazy wheels on them, but its more than sufficient to get the job done. Huge difference between say a Korobov/Cote and a Gudas or Garrison. Garrison has sufficient mobility to be a NHL defenceman while Korobov and Cote do not...Witkowski is on the fence and hope he trains hard on that to improve 'cause I like what he brings.

With Garrison from the Vancouver fans I was expecting a total dumpster fire. Huge booming shots banging off the glass....players scurrying for their lives around the net and a huge defensive liability because of his mobility. But yeah very happy with Garrison so far and those scouting reports I don't see that at all - so far those scouting reports I fail to see what they saw. Garrison has played better than Brewer, Sustr, Barberio. About the same as Carle/Gudas. Obviously Stralman and Hedman are several notches above.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also - it may be just me but I'd like to see more straight up blasts from the point. Last game Stamkos, Gudas, and Garrison each blasted one that got blocked by the opposing team, but it left the guys blocking it hurting. That's worth something. Shooting into legs is not always a bad thing - it's going to make people think twice, hesitate just a heartbeat the next time if they know an ankle-killer may be coming their way.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
I guess I am in the minority here, but I have been very happy with Garrison. I'm not seeing what you all are seeing with missed shots and defense. The fact that he's been invisible is a good thing.

Considering he led the team in ice time my guess is the coaching staff is happy with him as well.

I agree he's been good and he's only going to get better.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

I have a lot of friends who are Nuck fans and they are also pretty upset about it too. They put on a brave face and spin but deep down they are confused by the move.
He has a cannon of a shot like we saw when he was with the Panthers but he tends to be wild with it. If he would just take a bit off it and get it on net he would be far more effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad