OT: Jason Garrison

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Do you happen to have a link?

i heard it about an hour ago on the 5pm hour of team1040...don't have a link but it was a heap of q's from reporters about if he was prepared about how "difficult" the transition to playing in vancouver was and how he feels about being "demoted" to the third pairing with ballard...garrison's responses were diplomatic but not very enthusiastic

bmac of course immediately drew the conclusion that garrison can't feel good getting displaced by a near rookie so early in the season, and i'm sure we'll get a bunch of articles tomorrow about the new ex-panther 9 million dollar third pairing

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
i heard it about an hour ago on the 5pm hour of team1040...don't have a link but it was a heap of q's from reporters about if he was prepared about how "difficult" the transition to playing in vancouver was and how he feels about being "demoted" to the third pairing with ballard...garrison's responses were diplomatic but not very enthusiastic

bmac of course immediately drew the conclusion that garrison can't feel good getting displaced by a near rookie so early in the season, and i'm sure we'll get a bunch of articles tomorrow about the new ex-panther 9 million dollar third pairing

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/5084/jason-garrison

He's averaging more than 20 minutes a game. That's not 3rd pairing minutes. He's our #4 in terms of MPG, behind Hamhuis, Edler and Bieksa. Ballard and Tanev are still both seeing only 16-17 MPG.

TheDiver*

The guy is playing in a brand new system, in a brand new conference. It will take time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As a whole, i think the most accurate way i could describe how Garrison has been here so far is...

'He's too Left-handed'. :laugh:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Alright I got my final say. I think Garrison is doing well defensively and he can play the puck. But this is the problem we want him to score right? Well if you think of it he is not on the powerplay. He is like never set up for any shots or does not shoot. If Garrison could move in closer and get that rocket on net it can be very deadly and that's what the Canucks need to do.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He'll be fine. There was a quote on Twitter where he said something along the lines of still adjusting to a new system, and doesn't have the instincts of the Canucks game and whatnot yet. Needs to figure out the forwards tenancies in the offensive, and the defensive zone.

People rag on him because someone needs to be blamed, and since our goalies are doing well, why not blame the new guy? :shakehead

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
You'd think we'd learn to stop brining in players from Florida but since Mike Gillis can only seem to get players from there we're stuck with guy number 3 that ''can't adjust'' and ''doesn't have the instict'' for our system.

I've been very disappointed with him and am horrified by the thought of 5 more years of this guy. He is the new Ballard.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You'd think we'd learn to stop brining in players from Florida but since Mike Gillis can only seem to get players from there we're stuck with guy number 3 that ''can't adjust'' and ''doesn't have the instict'' for our system.

I've been very disappointed with him and am horrified by the thought of 5 more years of this guy. He is the new Ballard.
Well, isn't it better that he was the "New Ballard" (since the LA Kings playoff series last season) vs the "Old Ballard" (pretty much most of the entire time before that as a Canuck)?

;)

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Well the coaching staff apparently doesn't want his shot being used because it might actually help the power play, so his offense really isn't there.

Hasn't really settled in defensively.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Alright I got my final say. I think Garrison is doing well defensively and he can play the puck. But this is the problem we want him to score right? Well if you think of it he is not on the powerplay. He is like never set up for any shots or does not shoot. If Garrison could move in closer and get that rocket on net it can be very deadly and that's what the Canucks need to do.

He has a big shot, but even when he's used it here...he's rarely hit the net. So that's a problem.

The other problem, is expecting him to really put up significant goal totals. He played with Campbell last year, who is one of the premier setup men on the blueline in the entire NHL. Prior to that...he wasn't exactly lighting it up offensively. Expecting that offensive outburst to continue isn't realistic. He's just not a particularly natural offensive defenceman. And that's fine if he plays solid defensively i guess.

But it's still very far from ideal that he is a Left-side only sort of guy here.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
He's been good. It's a shame how the media built him up with all these unreasonable expectations in the offseason, and now they are hammering him for not living up to said expectations. He's had a little trouble getting up to speed just like everyone else on the blueline, and it's tougher as a defenceman joining a new team, you need to get used to the systems so you can react instinctively instead of thinking about it, and the lack of training camp complicates that. Garrison's done as well or better than my expectations, and I think will only get better.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
Oh man, I feel bad for him. It's probably mentally difficult too with the media being so blunt with him about his struggles, and with being in a hockey market. Huge adjustment for sure.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's been good. It's a shame how the media built him up with all these unreasonable expectations in the offseason, and now they are hammering him for not living up to said expectations. He's had a little trouble getting up to speed just like everyone else on the blueline, and it's tougher as a defenceman joining a new team, you need to get used to the systems so you can react instinctively instead of thinking about it, and the lack of training camp complicates that. Garrison's done as well or better than my expectations, and I think will only get better.

To be fair though...the media plays a role in his 'hyping'. But ultimately...the guy signed a multi-year $4.6M deal with a NTC. You don't give those to players without some pretty hefty expectations.

And thus far, he hasn't really lived up to that. Not that he won't eventually as he settles into the team and the system and the pressure here...but to this point, he hasn't been a $4.6M defenceman. He's slowly rounding into 'adequate' defensively and hasn't contributed a whole lot offensively.

With great money comes great responsibility.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
For those talking about his awkward skating or footspeed, didn't he have a groin injury in the offseason? Perhaps that's why he hasn't looked as mobile as people expected?

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
He looks fine to me, he's always making plays defensively, of course he makes a few mistakes, but every d-man does. Don't understand the big fuss.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Expectations for Garrison were way too high. Was suppose to come in and be a force on the power play. However, looked awkward and ineffective and was fairly quickly jettisoned off the power play and has not been used there since early in the season. Looks evident now that much of what he did in Florida offensively resulted from playing with a truly gifted player in Campbell.

I think it is becoming evident that Garrison is not a great skater. There is little smoothness to his play and he has to labour to make plays. I think this really shows up when he is forced to chase pucks dumped into his corner. He unable to turn fast enough or get to the puck quick enough to give himself space and time to make a play. Everything turns into a chase and puck battle in the corner. As a result the Canucks end up playing a lot in their own end when Garrison is out. I think this deficiency has been picked up by other teams and they try to exploit it.

The other problem here is that in order to try to provide himself time Garrison cheats a bit at the blueline and thus gives up the blue line line too easily.

Up to this point Garrison has been playing off his back heel and ends up mostly just trying to keep the puck to the outside and scramble the puck out of his end. He really cannot join the rush or get playing down hill in the middle ice or offensive end.

In the pre-season he had groin issues and that might explain some of the lack of mobility. However, could well be that Garrison is what he is - a pretty marginal NHL player.

I don't think anyone is making any final conclusions on Garrison but up to this point he has be a disappointment. As it is, looks like Tanev is being moved into the top 4 and Garrison to the last pairing.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Expectations for Garrison were way too high. Was suppose to come in and be a force on the power play. However, looked awkward and ineffective and was fairly quickly jettisoned off the power play and has not been used there since early in the season. Looks evident now that much of what he did in Florida offensively resulted from playing with a truly gifted player in Campbell.

I think it is becoming evident that Garrison is not a great skater. There is little smoothness to his play and he has to labour to make plays. I think this really shows up when he is forced to chase pucks dumped into his corner. He unable to turn fast enough or get to the puck quick enough to give himself space and time to make a play. Everything turns into a chase and puck battle in the corner. As a result the Canucks end up playing a lot in their own end when Garrison is out. I think this deficiency has been picked up by other teams and they try to exploit it.

The other problem here is that in order to try to provide himself time Garrison cheats a bit at the blueline and thus gives up the blue line line too easily.

Up to this point Garrison has been playing off his back heel and ends up mostly just trying to keep the puck to the outside and scramble the puck out of his end. He really cannot join the rush or get playing down hill in the middle ice or offensive end.

In the pre-season he had groin issues and that might explain some of the lack of mobility. However, could well be that Garrison is what he is - a pretty marginal NHL player.

I don't think anyone is making any final conclusions on Garrison but up to this point he has be a disappointment. As it is, looks like Tanev is being moved into the top 4 and Garrison to the last pairing.

Nah, I think you made your final conclusion when you pushed his name for a buyout candidate in the GDT.

Question: How does a "marginal NHLer" get the 2nd toughest minutes on the team and still be a plus possession player?

Garrison's reads are slower than you would like, but I don't think his skating is a hindrance. He moves pretty well for his size. Choppy stride yes, but not a detriment. There's no poise in his game though, and that unsettles people. He "looks" worse than his results would indicate.

I think this move to the bottom pairing is just AV at his absolute worst. He needs to point at himself as a direct culprit to the way the team played the last game. Scapegoating others isn't going to move the attention away from himself.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
He's a decent second pairing defenseman who does everything well but doesn't really stand out in any way. A total Gillis defenseman in that he has a well-rounded game but isn't exceptional at any one element of the game. Still adjusting to the system but honestly I think he's pretty generic and I think Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa are better than him. Kind of redundant in our system. I also think he's over his head when he plays on the first unit PP and his much touted slapshot takes so long to wind up that it's largely useless. But I still like him and think he'll get better.

I'm glad this thread popped up. I've been interested to hear other fans opinions on him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
he gets alot of unwarranted attention because he doesn't have the smooth mobility of hamhuis, the offensive flair of edler or the unpredictability of bieksa but imo he's been more consistent than any of the above mentioned defenders this year

just because he has an awkward skating style doesn't mean he's got poor footspeed or can't handle defenders one-on-one...i mean, ballard and hamhuis have excellent mobility but got embarrased last night with hawk players beating them one-on-one while garrison has shown very good positioning and stick checking ability

he needs more time to get comfortable and you can see that in how often he throws the puck along the boards in the defensive zone to nobody, although part of that is that he plays with bieksa and the support for the d from the forwards has been non-existent the past few games...he's also been playing against the opposition's top players while tanev and ballard, while playing above expectations, have been receiving the easier minutes

coaching staff needs to get him back on at least the 2nd unit pp and pair him with somebody more reliable than bieksa to get some more confidence...hearing his interview today, it sounded like he knows he's the new whipping boy and it's unclear how he'll respond to it mentally

Have to check out that interview.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Right down to the skating and the current state of the team affecting his play.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I've posted this before. Garrison in his three years in the league has scored 4 (extrapolated), 5, and 7 ES goals for an average of 5.3. Note that he didn't have Campbell for the first two seasons. Also note that over the same time Edler has averaged 4.3 ES goals per year.

So in a 48 game season Garrison should be expected to score 3.1 ES goals. He's already got one in only 15 games. So he's on historical pace and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I think AV summed up exactly what he has brought to the team so far.

As for our problems with puck battles and being hemmed in our own end, I think our whole team has that particular disease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad