OT: Jason Garrison

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Let's not act like you didn't say it exactly with that intention in the first place. :p:

I think when Mitchell was here, he was our best defenseman after Salo, personally (maybe Edler as he started getting better at the tail end).

Hamhuis has really made his leaving less signicant though. He was great in LA too.

I think we really jumped the gun losing him either way though-- Chicago made him look bad, and then when he could have came in handy against Boston, he wasn't there.

That weird aura has more to do with him being a favorite, not how good people think he is, IMO. Unless you think he's an overrated character as well, which makes more sense to me.

Honestly, I basically agree with most of this, aside from the losing him part. I think Mitchell was really good. I am a Willie Mitchell fan. I just think that there's a lot of stuff that people say about him, and even moreso about him not being here, that is attributed more to him being really likeable than to anything else.

Also, re: the character thing, I do think he's probably overrated in that aspect, but any discussion about that is just going to be feelings and inklings and whatnot, since I'm not in the room. I think he's a very good player, and likely a really good character guy as well. I just think people get more than a bit carried away about him sometimes.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I basically agree with most of this, aside from the losing him part. I think Mitchell was really good. I am a Willie Mitchell fan. I just think that there's a lot of stuff that people say about him, and even moreso about him not being here, that is attributed more to him being really likeable than to anything else.

Also, re: the character thing, I do think he's probably overrated in that aspect, but any discussion about that is just going to be feelings and inklings and whatnot, since I'm not in the room. I think he's a very good player, and likely a really good character guy as well. I just think people get more than a bit carried away about him sometimes.
Put off by the gushy love for the guy, I get-- but how does that have anything to do with being overrated?

Being overrated means you think people treat him like a better defenseman then he actually was.

I have to ask-- How good of a defenseman do you think he is, and how good of a defenseman do you think people treat him like? If the two aren't that far apart, then you don't really think he's overrated at all-- and are just annoyed by how well-liked he is.

Nobody treats him like a #1 franchise defenseman or anything, IMO, so I don't really get where you're coming from about that, personally.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Put off by the gushy love for the guy, I get-- but how does that have anything to do with being overrated?

Being overrated means you think people treat him like a better defenseman then he actually was.

I have to ask-- How good of a defenseman do you think he is, and how good of a defenseman do you think people treat him like? If the two aren't that far apart, then you don't really think he's overrated at all-- and are just annoyed by how well-liked he is.

Nobody treats him like a #1 franchise defenseman or anything, IMO, so I don't really get where you're coming from about that, personally.

I think that people have a higher opinion of his impact, and of the impact of his not being here, than is necessarily merited. I mean, it comes up at least monthly how Gillis made a horrible awful mistake by not giving a contract to a guy that wasn't even skating yet, and how *insert player X* is no good because if only the Canucks could have just kept Mitchell instead.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Seems another Panthers snub dman Kulikov could be on his way to Nucks soon.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
That pass to Hamhuis at the of the PP at the end of the 2nd period.

You cannot blame that on "adjusting" to a system, that was atrocious.

Looks like he's lost on the PP without Campbell.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Was one of the better D-men for the past 5 games before this game but now he's worthless? Really takes one below average game to forget everything around here, doesn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->