Confirmed with Link: Jason Dickinson (2 years $4.25 aav extension)

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Very happy with this signing, really like how he has performed as a Hawk.

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
KD should have made sure to take at least one cap dump for picks from every single other team before overpaying this declining vet.

(sarcasm, love this signing)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
rather they keep extending these vets on short term deals than make dumb deals in ufa to get to the cap floor, like others have said they're still way too early in the rebuild process to start throwing out huge contracts

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Mrazek next? Pretty much required since Soda sucks.

I said it a few weeks ago. Keep Mrazek, Foligno and Dickinson around. Short term overpays are just fine. Very good week from KD.

Goalies don't matter until you don't have one. We've got a ton of draft capital. More is better but you have to insulate Bedard with at least a couple guys who can play above a fourth line role.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Keep adding the veteran pieces to put together an average NHL roster and then when its time load up with available money and prospects. Good signing for an NHL All-Star lol

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Do you anticipate them to be as bad next season as they've been they have been the past two?

Bedard will be another year older, have a season under his belt (injuries aside) and hopefully they won't rack up as many injuries next year as they have suffered this season.

I mean, don't get me wrong I'm not expecting them to be a playoff team in year 2 with Bedard but I really can't see them being lottery bad AGAIN unless things unravel.
I'd like to agree but it will be an uphill battle. There is really nothing in the org for me to think Hawks will be much better next season. I hope I'm wrong.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Overpayments are a habit of not knowing how to negotiate and not just a byproduct of the “short term deal of a non contending team”. Our brilliant GM is showing his hands to us all.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'd be very surprised if anybody commits to anywhere near that much term for a guy like Mrazek who has a history of inconsistency.
True, but goalies are weird and most are inconsistent. Even the guys who are considered elite can be hot but sometimes cold. Mrazek, strikes me as a solid goalie, and when healthy, has been pretty dam good. He's a gambler who relies on his instincts, which can backfire when playing for a bad team but can be impressive with a good one.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Mrazek is the kind of guy that would be good on a two year deal. I don't know if a team gives him a high avv on a long term deal? He has earned the right to stick around with the other guys 4.5 would be more than fair

Reactions: hockeydoug

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Dom on the Athletic has his player cards out. Dickinson value this season is 3.2M. I mean it’s another obvious inconsequential overpay. I hope they’re ready to negotiate “real” contracts with Vlasic and then Kurashev.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Dom on the Athletic has his player cards out. Dickinson value this season is 3.2M. I mean it’s another obvious inconsequential overpay. I hope they’re ready to negotiate “real” contracts with Vlasic and then Kurashev.
Let’s not kid ourselves every move is consequential in one way or another, when you wanna lock up guys long term they are gonna say but you gave a guy who has this and this numebrs and is older this much money so why don’t I get this much when I am part of the real long term core. We are stuck with another garbage GM.

Reactions: Otto31

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Let’s not kid ourselves every move is consequential in one way or another, when you wanna lock up guys long term they are gonna say but you gave a guy who has this and this numebrs and is older this much money so why don’t I get this much when I am part of the real long term core. We are stuck with another garbage GM.
this is just speculation until the rfa deals come through. not even saying you're is outright wrong, but it's just too early to tell. the vlasic contract will be the canary in the coal mine. from there we will be able to actually judge the effect of these veteran over payments.

every move is consequential. you are saying that a consequence of this move is that other guys will bid up their contracts on the basis of this dickinson over pay. so who would that be? this year i guess you could say it would be vlasic, reichel, blackwell, and/or maybe guttman. none of these players have half of dickinson's points. the only one i would think is even in the same ballpark contract value-wise is vlasic. next year you're looking at resigning kurashev. does 25 year old rfa kurashev with something like 100 points in four seasons demand 4.25 the same as dickinson with the same amount of points in 9 seasons? maybe he does try to take davidson to the cleaners. hopefully davidson doesn't let him. time will tell.

i don't see anyone in the next two years who would ask for too much because of this contract that i also wouldn't be perfectly happy with walking away. so much of this team is transient nothing. we are still waiting for a core to settle into place. if it's going to happen, it will need to happen within the two years of this dickinson contract.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think those were 2 guys they really liked as players. IE play hard and play d and are durable. they are vocal on the ice and in the locker room. you could have traded them for 3rd rounders and hope you can get the in UFA. late 3rds don't have much value especially with the hawks. you do not here them looking to extend TJ or AB, you need some vets around Bedard, rechel, vlasic, KK and will be more next year. not every vet is good at leading encouraging. setting an example ETC. I think KD has done a great job. nobody can plan for as many injuries as we have had. and yes he has over paid by a fair amount on some of his signings. I think he knows we need to more competitive next year ( not playoffs) but good young players get frustrated losing to much and to badly. after this next draft we will have the best pool of under 22 players in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad